Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Missed Opportunities

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Alan_Coles
    17 Sep 2008 - 9:08 PM

Hi,

Just back from taking my car to a mate's place for him to have a look at and on the drive home via the moors I witnesses the most amazing full moon...a deep orange colour and looking superb. Anyway, as I got back to the town I had to pass over a bridge that goes over the the A465 Heads of the Valley road. I then saw a guy standing on the bridge with his tripod n camera pointing up the road...as I slowed down to look even the wife exclaimed "what a fabulous sight" !! There was the moon perched on the road arisen towards the highest point and probably the biggest I have ever seen....cursing my luck for not having the gear on me it is still nagging me as I sit and write this. I now wish I had stopped and just asked the guy to send me a thumbnail or something to look at. I am wondering now how he would have taken the shot...long exposure with cars streaming up towards that moon perhaps? Dunno but I know I am gutted. There was a haze about tonight - both my wife and I commented on it before seeing the moon and thinking about it I doubt it the conditions will quite happen like that again.
    Anyway, my question to you is have you ever had a similar experience and did you get chance at another time to try for that shot?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Sep 2008 - 9:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

samfurlong
    17 Sep 2008 - 9:24 PM

When I am sometimes asked for advice by fellow photographers, top of my list comes the advice ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a camera in the boot!!

Gutted for you.

jondf
    jondf  82475 forum posts
    17 Sep 2008 - 9:25 PM

Check on the internet for the next full moon and go back. If it's cloudy, do the same again at the next one and you'll get your shot. And yes, it'll be something that's happened to all of us at one time or another. The times I've thought - "Damn, I've not got me camera....I could have shot that scene right to the top level of my incompetence.....I could you know....really"

Bucephalas69
    18 Sep 2008 - 1:38 PM

We've all been there.
    I never leave the house without my wallet, car keys and Fuji F31fd compact, even if it's to pop to the shops.

Alan_Coles
    18 Sep 2008 - 6:21 PM

Thanks all - I have calmed down a little this eveing but last night I was hurting...rofl

Strange old thing this photography malarky innit.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    18 Sep 2008 - 6:49 PM

Quote: There was the moon perched on the road arisen towards the highest point and probably the biggest I have ever seen..

I think you will find the size of the Moon never changes.

Last Modified By cambirder at 18 Sep 2008 - 6:50 PM
    Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Sep 2008 - 8:16 PM

Quote: I think you will find the size of the Moon never changes

Only the Moonies! Smile

conrad
    conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Sep 2008 - 8:25 PM

Quote: I think you will find the size of the Moon never changes

Only once in a blue moon - right, Jas? Wink

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Sep 2008 - 8:30 PM

Right, Conrad. Everyone knows the moon is made of blue cheese.

And that it is consumed by a giant rat, and then regurgitated, over 4 week period.

jas Smile

julzt
    julzt  8181 forum posts England
    18 Sep 2008 - 9:37 PM

i spotted that moon. it was a beauty - see..
    I keep my tripod out every night at the moment - for moon/star/sky shots - september time produces brilliant sunsets with amazingly clear atmospherics Smile

Last Modified By julzt at 18 Sep 2008 - 9:39 PM
    alansdottir
    30 Jul 2009 - 1:01 PM

The moon does stay the same size, true enough, but it's orbit brings it closer to the Earth on some occasions and further away on others. It can also look larger when it is lower in the sky...

But I bet that still bugs you, the memory of that evening.

And yes, it has happened to me, too - many times, in small ways - but one time I will never forget. At Brean Down, Somerset a couple of years ago, an especially high tide at sundown. The sea came right up to the sea wall, smooth as a mill pond; there was a slight haze, the delicate colours of pinks, corals, peach-greys, sea and sky merging as the air cooled and became mistier; my children, crouched on the slipway, right at the water's edge... Magic, it was.

But whether I could have done it any kind of justice photographically, I have no idea.

Perhaps it is sometimes better to keep these moments as memories alone...

Carol

paulcr
    paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2009 - 1:09 PM

The problem with shooting the moon is that it always appears far smaller in the shot than with the naked eye. Something to do with the earths atmosphere distorting it through the lens. I'm sure someone here will be able to explain it properly Smile
    paul

Last Modified By paulcr at 30 Jul 2009 - 1:10 PM
    Tooth
    Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2009 - 1:22 PM

No fancy optics, it's just that it is small compared to the FOV of the camera. If you ask someone without looking, how many fingers (or hands) would cover the moon at arm's length, many would overestimate, but in fact it's only about a fingernail. I suppose when you look at it as it stands out from its surroundings you perceive it to be bigger than it is

Stephen

Krakman
    Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
    30 Jul 2009 - 1:48 PM

I've seen some wonderful moons, sailing at night. Some were even spooky.

It happened the person on watch called me up urgently from my bunk because there was a large ship, brightly lit and close by, that seemed to be on a collison course and in imminent danger of hitting us, but not showing any navigation lights. We tried violent changes of course, but no matter what we did the ship kept on a steady reciprocal course, apparently just a few hundred metres away. At times it seemed to have a giant triangular sail. The second occasion this happened I guessed what it was - a huge distorted moon sitting on the horizon, framed into strange shapes through a gap in the clouds. The helmsman did not believe it was possible and told me I was a fool or something to that effect, but a few minutes later the moon rose in the sky and the clouds parted.

Other fantastic memories of sailing across the Channel alone, with everything brightly lit as if by daylight by a full moon, sailing in half a gale with spray coming over the bow lit by the moon as if by a flash.

On another occasion sailing down to Rugen from Copenhagen, the moon made a fiery pathway leading my boat to Germany. The moon was so bright I took a photo of it, with the dancing waves. The fiery orb in the sky I'm sailing towards looks a bit like the sun, but it isn't it was the moon. The white waving light in the distance was Rugen lighthouse. And this one and this one of a passing port hand navigation buoy lit by moonlight, off Rugen that same night.

Sorry to yack on - hope it's of interest to someone!

Last Modified By Krakman at 30 Jul 2009 - 2:15 PM
    KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84270 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2009 - 2:08 PM

Quote: I witnesses the most amazing full moon...a deep orange colour and looking superb.

I remember seeing a moon like this when I was a child (I didn't even own a camera then!). I had taken the dog for a walk on the cliffs over Polperro (it was safe to do so then!) and everything had an eerie light. As I looked back towards the village the view was breathtaking. We sat on the outcrop of rocks and just looked for ages - something I'll never forget, but can never share!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.