Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Missing DVD/CD drive on my laptop???? Urgent help needed!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    lgc
    lgc  962 forum posts England
    27 Apr 2009 - 11:29 PM

Can anyone help??? I have had my dvd/cd drive missing on my laptop since january!!! I bought an acer 4920 August last year and in january I started having problems with the drive going missing.
    I have scoured the net and contacted acer customer services ,it seems to be a problem that everyone is having concerning microsofts Vista software and an update that altered the upperfilter and lower filters in the registry. I have tried all the fixes but still my dvd drive only makes the odd guest appearences when I least need it!! and it only plays a dvd, if I try to burn anything to a cd/dvd it dissappears again!!!! does anyone have any advice please????

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Apr 2009 - 11:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2009 - 11:42 PM

Also try this

jimthistle73
    28 Apr 2009 - 12:05 AM

I had this problem, and after hours of fettling and googling, posted on here. Pretty sure it was Chris' advice that sorted it out for me!!

rbirrell
    rbirrell  8 United Kingdom
    28 Apr 2009 - 11:34 AM

I had this problem too on Windows Vista Ultimate. I think that it came about from an Apple iTunes/Quicktime update. It took me a while to work it out but I ended up doing a System restore to before the update. needless to say I have lost the updates but atleast my drive is now visible again.

BernieS
    BernieS  5243 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Apr 2009 - 3:20 PM

I also had this problem on my HP lap top with Vista after one of it's regular updates. Also lost the speakers.

Required a BIOS upgrade to fix as far as I can remember.

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85836 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2009 - 5:59 PM

this is the one that I posted on here yonks ago

Adrian

arnieg
    arnieg  10682 forum posts England
    29 Apr 2009 - 6:45 AM

book marking
    arnie

lgc
    29 Apr 2009 - 4:37 PM

many thanks for the replies,
    I had already tried three of the fixes and had no joy, i tried one from the links provided and this resulted in total meltdown, computer wouldnt start up again so I had to format the laptop back to its factory settings. didnt loose any docs as everything is backed up to my separate hd.
    I think ill just leave it for the moment, I was going to leave this laptop here in brasil for the family to use and get myself a new one when i come back to the uk!!!!
    anyway thanks for the help guys!!!!!

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85836 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2009 - 5:41 PM

would be interesting to know which one you tried.
    The one I posted needs you to follow it implicitly to work

Adrian

lgc
    30 Apr 2009 - 2:35 AM

I had and have tried again the fix from the site randomfix, Adrian, and still after rebooting the cd/dvd drive doesnt show when you open the computer drives.
    It shows up sometimes but when I try to use the drive it either freezes/crashes and the drives dissapears again. That is what has driven me mad, I have now given up the fight, and have come to live wothout the dvd drive. I know it sounds ridicullous but after trying everything, I think the only thing i could do now would be to take it in for repair.

lgc
    30 Apr 2009 - 2:49 AM

Adrian if you look down the list of peoples comments on the page (randomfix) you will come across a guy named scanner, i have exactly the same problem as he does. I have removed all the programs like NTI and nero and itunes and still nothing. vista home premium came preinstalled along with NTI when i bought the laptop. I even tried removing vista and installing xp but vista wouldnt let me, and also because I didnt have a drive I couldnt use the xp cd. I even tried booting it of a separate hard drive and still no joy. A nightmare!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.