Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Missing total memory

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nick_Hilton
    12 Oct 2012 - 9:45 PM

I recent upgraded my 2.5ghz Imac to 8 gig of RAM. All the RAM shows in the information about the Mac within the Lepord OS. However when I open photoshop CS3 and go the preferences to change the allocation that it can use the maxium is 4 gig of RAM?
    Is there a limit within photoshop?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Oct 2012 - 9:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 7832 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2012 - 9:49 PM

You may have the 32-bit version of PS CS3 rather than the 64-bit version. I think the 32-bit can only use 4 gig or thereabouts. The 64-bit version can use quite a bit more, I'm not sure how much though.

Nick_Hilton
    12 Oct 2012 - 9:51 PM

Paintman yes i only have the 32bit version

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2012 - 10:02 PM

Paintman is spot on. 32bit will not recognise 8gb only 4

User_Removed
    12 Oct 2012 - 10:13 PM

There isn't a 64 bit version of Photoshop CS3 for the Mac. Only for Windows. Smile

Nick_Hilton
    13 Oct 2012 - 1:12 PM

So why can't i allocate more than 4 gig then Smile

User_Removed
    13 Oct 2012 - 4:30 PM

Assuming that your OS is 64-bit (I don't know anything at all about Apple Mac OSs), you should be able to solve your problem by upgrading to the latest 64-bit version of Photoshop. I am pretty sure that, even for the Mac, CS5 and CS6 were available in 64-bit versions.

Best plan - download a free trial from the Adobe website and see if it works for you.

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Oct 2012 - 4:45 PM

On the MAC OS Photoshop CS3 is a 32 bit application and as such 32 bit applications can only address up to 4G of RAM. You need to update to CS5 or later to get the option of running in 64 bit mode on your computer. So for your version of Photoshop the limit is 4G,

See here for information on how many bits the versions have.

Quote: RAM use
    The primary advantage of using the 64-bit version of Photoshop CS5 is to access amounts of RAM beyond what Photoshop can access as a 32-bit application. Photoshop can take the best advantage of more than 4 GB of RAM only it runs as a 64-bit application. If you use files that need more than 4 GB of RAM, and you have enough RAM, all processing you perform on large images can be done in RAM. It's not necessary for Photoshop to swap out to the hard disk. Unlike on Windows, all supported versions of Mac OS can run Photoshop CS5 in 64-bit mode. When running in 64-bit mode, Photoshop CS5 uses all the RAM you can fit into your computer.

User_Removed
    13 Oct 2012 - 7:19 PM

It seems daft to use a 64 bit operating system and a 32 bit version of the program. In 64 bit Photoshop some operations are nearly twice as fast and the ability to use so much extra memory helps it fly along.

People tell you Macs are better and Macs are faster. As you've found out the truth's a bit different.

Nick_Hilton
    13 Oct 2012 - 8:21 PM

Thanks for the infomation

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.