Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mk III availability

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    BradUK
    BradUK  9553 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2007 - 11:03 PM

Having finally weighed up all the pros and cons of the various options for a new body, I decided to bite the bullet and go for the 1D MkIII.

Well, I say bite the bullet... what I mean is that I loaded the bullet and in sniper like fashion have been waiting patiently for a sight of my target... and I am still waiting.

Is this limited availability usual on the 1D series? Or is it related to on-off AF issues that may or may not exist in reality and therefore this is being address before normal production levels are resumed?

As one of the reasons for getting another body was for back-up / second body purposes and might now need this sooner rather than later, I am now considering going back on my decision and getting a 40D as an interim given that it is likely to be readily available and that by the time the mkIII is readily available, the total cost of both cameras would be close to the current price of the mkIII.

However, don't want to be in the position of purchasing the 40D next week to find the mkIII readily available the following week

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Sep 2007 - 11:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Sep 2007 - 11:12 PM

Quote: Mk III availability

Is there a shortage ?? I believe my local shop has stock

BradUK
    28 Sep 2007 - 11:33 PM

Quote: Is there a shortage ?? I believe my local shop has stock

Everywhere I tried stated that they have units coming in slowly and would inform me when they are available or offered to place me on a waiting list.

Where's your local shop and what price are they doing it for?

geoffash26
    28 Sep 2007 - 11:41 PM

Castle Cameras
    If you don't want the package deal they are always willing to negotiate.
    If your interested let me know I'll tell them your calling and that they must sharpen the pencilSmile
    Geoff

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    p3asa
    p3asa  8676 forum posts Scotland
    29 Sep 2007 - 10:01 AM

I had a quick look at Castle as I'm still toying with my next upgrade but their prices are way above anyone else.

40D body 899 can be bought elsewhere 729
    1D Mk III body with "free extras" 2995....elsewhere 2499

Steven.

p3asa
    29 Sep 2007 - 10:18 AM

http://www.devoncamera.co.uk claim to have it in stock at 2799.

Steven.

geoffash26
    29 Sep 2007 - 11:22 AM

Quote: I had a quick look at Castle as I'm still toying with my next upgrade but their prices are way above anyone else.

Shops can advertise any price they want if they havn't got stock its not much use is it

geoffash26
    29 Sep 2007 - 11:27 AM

Just spoken to Castle Cameras and they have confirmed stock body only 2795

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Sep 2007 - 11:28 AM

I've always said that some of the smaller shops tend to have stock when there is a waiting list elsewhere.

Prices may be (normally) slightly higher, but as Geoffsays if you haven't got stock you can advertise any price you like.

Worth giving either place a call, checking whether they do have stock and if they will negotiate on price.

WE is 2880 so the devoncamera looks a good deal, or even the other one and you can always sell the A3 printer on eBay or the like.

I guess it depends whether you want the camera quickly or would rather wait for one of the cheaper places to actually have stock.

peterjones
    peterjones e2 Member 123926 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Sep 2007 - 4:08 PM

the MkIII is a camera I will get one day but I think I will wait for the price to drop even more.

p3asa
    29 Sep 2007 - 5:23 PM

Quote: Shops can advertise any price they want if they havn't got stock its not much use is it

Yeah I agree they can advertise any price if they haven't got stock but the shops I contacted regarding the camera were willing to honour the price they had it advertised for i.e. 2499. All depends how desperate the original poster is wanting one.

Personally I know I would rather go with a company that was up front about their price rather than one that includes "Free extras" when quite clearly they aren't free when they are willing to reduce the price without the "Free extras"

Steven.

BradUK
    1 Oct 2007 - 10:22 PM

Thanks for the replies...

Have now got a bit more time to decide as one of the main reasons for wanting the second body earlier is now going to be tomorrow so it would be unrealistic to have ordered any camera this afternoon and hoped it would arrive early enough by courier, so will just have to rely on my trusty 20D and lens changes.

Hopefully availability will be greater and prices lower by that time

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.