Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mobil fone txt speak

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

snapbandit
snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2006 - 12:30 AM

Duz N E 1 ls tink dat mobil fone txt is dstroyn pepes abilty 2 rite ?

Not so much on this site (thank goodness!) but on some of the other sites I visit (I have even stopped going to some of them as it is so hard to decipher). I do not claim to be any kind of expert at the English language or correct grammar, but I fear for the (mainly it seems) youth, many of whom seem to be unable to use proper spellings. I have even stopped my eldest daughter from getting a mobile phone yet (seems they are essential items these days!) mainly to make sure she knows how to use normal language before destroying it with text speak.

I can understand that shortening many words will reduce the bills texting incurs, but this seems to be appearing everywhere, often for no logical reason (unless you count trying to be trendy by using it as logical!).

Not massively annoyed by it, just curious as to why they think it is necessary, it could not be much quicker to type (it is certainly slower, for me, to read!!)
Maybe I have just turned into a BOF?

Any opinions? (not on the BOF thing by the way!), anyone else find it as hard to translate as I do?
Wink

JB
(I hope this has not been a previous topic, recently, I tried a search but just cannot get that forum search to produce anything!)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Feb 2006 - 12:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2006 - 12:55 AM

I just refuse to read anything written like that. I see no reason for it and with predicitive text - what's the point?

To use it on a forum is just perverse.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2006 - 1:33 AM

JB you are my hero Wink)

I mentioned this about someones postings on here and they had a right strop, it wasn't a good enough reason not to click their images, etc. Well for me it is.

Time and place for txt speak is on a mobile, not the internet.

At last another right-thinking person!

Cheryl

AlanTW
AlanTW  11342 forum posts
1 Feb 2006 - 1:48 AM

Couldn't agree more JB

Alan

Kris_Dutson
1 Feb 2006 - 1:51 AM

Two of the Motorcycle sites I use, ban members who don't stop using it after they've been warned once.

Gd ting 2 if u ask me.

Kris.

JohnHawthorne

Totally and utterly agree with this. However predictive text can yield some funny results sometimes ...

One time while cycling to work I was nearly run over by a bus so I texted a friend and predictive text came up with 'nearly run over by a cup'! Dangerous things cups. Next time you cross the road watch out for the cups!

Another one recently - did you know that photoshop gets translated to 'photosins'?!

aftertherain
1 Feb 2006 - 1:52 AM

I agree - might as well be writing in some obscure ancient language for all the sense it makes to me.

mad-dogs
mad-dogs  122201 forum posts England
1 Feb 2006 - 1:53 AM

It is not just text speak, it is the inability to spell correctly ( or even use a spell checker ) and the use of incorrect words.

ie. on a model website forum, models often ask for 'payed' work as opposed to paid - where money changes hands!!

Such is the dumbing down of our education system!

User_Removed
1 Feb 2006 - 1:53 AM

I can't even handle it in text messages... Stupid thing to be bothered about, but it really gets my wick.

I suppose that's the son of the English teacher in me...
;o)

UserRemoved
1 Feb 2006 - 2:13 AM

Use it all the time in text messages, occasionally in chat but never in forums. Don't have a problem with it! Typ it qkr & ft mor in txt msg! Smile

But do have problems with poor spelling and grammar - biggest ones at the moment: 'loose' instead of 'lose' and 'warrantee' instead of 'warranty'

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2006 - 2:31 AM

Predictive text such as T9 is much quicker anyway, and works fine as long as keep your eye on it. Which makes me think the main reason people use txtspk is to somehow appear cool. Now I can understand that for teenagers, but ....

Ducking below the parapet now..Wink

UserRemoved
1 Feb 2006 - 2:41 AM

LOL! Cool? Me? Hardly! Use it with all my friends (and them usually with me!) although will admit don't when I don't know the recipent well.

T9 is a POS - takes 10x as long!

jpenguin
jpenguin  966 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Feb 2006 - 3:05 AM

Quote: But do have problems with poor spelling and grammar - biggest ones at the moment: 'loose' instead of 'lose' and 'warrantee' instead of 'warranty'

I agree - Loose as lose is all over the place, be it forums, internet sites even papers. Why? Don't understand . . .
Another pet hate is 'your' instead of 'you're'.
I am getting old.

J

kokobrown
kokobrown  101902 forum posts Scotland
1 Feb 2006 - 3:08 AM

My brother texts me like that..

alrite sis wot u up 2 pls fne m bk wen u gt a mnt

I hate it...! I sometimes dont answer them and eventually he just phones me anyway!

And yes theres no need for it...it probably takes longer to write it out then predictive text!

Laura x

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139430 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2006 - 3:12 AM

With predictive text it is harder to use "txtspk".

As to grammar etc my pet hates are the use of "should of", "could of", "would of".... etc

It's "should have", "could have", "would have".

Please!!!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.