Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Mobil fone txt speak

snapbandit 10 2.2k 3 Northern Ireland
1 Feb 2006 12:30AM
Duz N E 1 ls tink dat mobil fone txt is dstroyn pepes abilty 2 rite ?

Not so much on this site (thank goodness!) but on some of the other sites I visit (I have even stopped going to some of them as it is so hard to decipher). I do not claim to be any kind of expert at the English language or correct grammar, but I fear for the (mainly it seems) youth, many of whom seem to be unable to use proper spellings. I have even stopped my eldest daughter from getting a mobile phone yet (seems they are essential items these days!) mainly to make sure she knows how to use normal language before destroying it with text speak.

I can understand that shortening many words will reduce the bills texting incurs, but this seems to be appearing everywhere, often for no logical reason (unless you count trying to be trendy by using it as logical!).

Not massively annoyed by it, just curious as to why they think it is necessary, it could not be much quicker to type (it is certainly slower, for me, to read!!)
Maybe I have just turned into a BOF?

Any opinions? (not on the BOF thing by the way!), anyone else find it as hard to translate as I do?
Wink

JB
(I hope this has not been a previous topic, recently, I tried a search but just cannot get that forum search to produce anything!)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2006 12:55AM
I just refuse to read anything written like that. I see no reason for it and with predicitive text - what's the point?

To use it on a forum is just perverse.
csurry 12 9.2k 92
1 Feb 2006 1:33AM
JB you are my hero Wink)

I mentioned this about someones postings on here and they had a right strop, it wasn't a good enough reason not to click their images, etc. Well for me it is.

Time and place for txt speak is on a mobile, not the internet.

At last another right-thinking person!

Cheryl
AlanTW 12 347
1 Feb 2006 1:48AM
Couldn't agree more JB

Alan
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
1 Feb 2006 1:51AM
Two of the Motorcycle sites I use, ban members who don't stop using it after they've been warned once.

Gd ting 2 if u ask me.

Kris.
JohnHawthorne 9 1.7k 5 Scotland
1 Feb 2006 1:52AM
Totally and utterly agree with this. However predictive text can yield some funny results sometimes ...

One time while cycling to work I was nearly run over by a bus so I texted a friend and predictive text came up with 'nearly run over by a cup'! Dangerous things cups. Next time you cross the road watch out for the cups!

Another one recently - did you know that photoshop gets translated to 'photosins'?!
I agree - might as well be writing in some obscure ancient language for all the sense it makes to me.
mad-dogs 12 2.2k England
1 Feb 2006 1:53AM
It is not just text speak, it is the inability to spell correctly ( or even use a spell checker ) and the use of incorrect words.

ie. on a model website forum, models often ask for 'payed' work as opposed to paid - where money changes hands!!

Such is the dumbing down of our education system!
User_Removed 10 3.3k Russian Federation
1 Feb 2006 1:53AM
I can't even handle it in text messages... Stupid thing to be bothered about, but it really gets my wick.

I suppose that's the son of the English teacher in me...
;o)
UserRemoved 10 6.2k 1
1 Feb 2006 2:13AM
Use it all the time in text messages, occasionally in chat but never in forums. Don't have a problem with it! Typ it qkr & ft mor in txt msg! Smile

But do have problems with poor spelling and grammar - biggest ones at the moment: 'loose' instead of 'lose' and 'warrantee' instead of 'warranty'
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
1 Feb 2006 2:31AM
Predictive text such as T9 is much quicker anyway, and works fine as long as keep your eye on it. Which makes me think the main reason people use txtspk is to somehow appear cool. Now I can understand that for teenagers, but ....

Ducking below the parapet now..Wink
UserRemoved 10 6.2k 1
1 Feb 2006 2:41AM
LOL! Cool? Me? Hardly! Use it with all my friends (and them usually with me!) although will admit don't when I don't know the recipent well.

T9 is a POS - takes 10x as long!
jpenguin 9 66
1 Feb 2006 3:05AM

Quote:But do have problems with poor spelling and grammar - biggest ones at the moment: 'loose' instead of 'lose' and 'warrantee' instead of 'warranty'

I agree - Loose as lose is all over the place, be it forums, internet sites even papers. Why? Don't understand . . .
Another pet hate is 'your' instead of 'you're'.
I am getting old.

J
kokobrown 10 1.9k Scotland
1 Feb 2006 3:08AM
My brother texts me like that..

alrite sis wot u up 2 pls fne m bk wen u gt a mnt

I hate it...! I sometimes dont answer them and eventually he just phones me anyway!

And yes theres no need for it...it probably takes longer to write it out then predictive text!

Laura x
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 Feb 2006 3:12AM
With predictive text it is harder to use "txtspk".

As to grammar etc my pet hates are the use of "should of", "could of", "would of".... etc

It's "should have", "could have", "would have".

Please!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.