Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mobile Broadband - Recommendations?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101438 forum postsdark_lord vcard England119 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2009 - 7:13 PM

I'm thinking of getting mobile broadband for the laptop when I'm out and about or away. This isn't to replace normal broadband, so I don't expect heavy usage (though viewing images on epz isn't going to help, is it?)
I have looked at some options and looked in the forums, but these things change often so I'm after some up to date recommendations on providers. Any that should be avoided, standard of coverage, experience of customer service, that's what helps make a decision. Ultimately it will be my decision but I haven't got any preference at the moment.

Keith

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jul 2009 - 7:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

geoffash26
geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Jul 2009 - 7:22 PM

For similar reasons Just bought the £39 voda pay as you go no expiry as long as you log on every 180 days then top up as needed top up as you need
Geoff

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101438 forum postsdark_lord vcard England119 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2009 - 7:32 PM

Thanks Geoff.
I guess you can't compare it to others unless you know someone else with a different provider, so how have you found it so far?

Last Modified By dark_lord at 13 Jul 2009 - 7:32 PM
M0TFT
M0TFT  871 forum posts England
13 Jul 2009 - 7:38 PM

I'd check that you will have a good signal... I got a PAYG O2, and its not too bad at home, but very slow less than dial-up used to be at work!!!

Good locations, ok!

Alan

geoffash26
geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Jul 2009 - 7:47 PM

Quote: Thanks Geoff.
I guess you can't compare it to others unless you know someone else with a different provider, so how have you found it so far?

Even on a weak signal the speed is acceptable for browsing the web

Wouldn't want to download videos but at the end of the day its to keep up to date on weather and forums when away for a night or two and for that I believe it will be perfect
Geoff

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
dark_lord
13 Jul 2009 - 7:54 PM

Quote: very slow less than dial-up used to be at work!!!

Painful!

Quote: its to keep up to date on weather and forums when away for a night or two and for that I believe it will be perfect

Sounds about what I'm looking for.

POD
POD e2 Member 5POD vcard England
13 Jul 2009 - 8:55 PM

I use T Mobiles mobile broadband and have found the connection speed pretty good, but as with any mobile system it depends on how close or far away you are from a transmitter. I pay £15 a month for 3GB and find it adequate, its a fair usage contract and they donít charge when you go over your 3GB by a few mb/s, unlike all the rest. But at the end of the day itíll be down to which company has the best signal were you plan to use it. Otherwise its just a useless piece of plastic sticking out the side of your p.c.

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
13 Jul 2009 - 8:59 PM

I'm on 3 network here,free dongle, 5GB a month £7.50. It used to be not too good, but since April it's been blazing (lots of new transmitters apparently).

dark_lord
13 Jul 2009 - 9:52 PM

Thanks for your input. Looks like the main issues are cost and download limits.
I admit transmitters are important but I guess whoever I go with sods law and pot luck will crop up in some locations Sad

Just another question, can you monitor your download amounts easily? I've downloaded a broadband meter piece of software from thinkbroadband.com but not installed yet.

Snapper
Snapper  93690 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2009 - 10:35 PM

Don't know where you live, but you might want to check this out to see how your area looks.

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
13 Jul 2009 - 10:40 PM

I have the 3 and Vodafone dongles, both have pretty decent speed. However I tend to use the Voda because the credit doesn't run out after 30 days, on 3 it does. Also on 3 you buy topup but then have to exchange that for data, easy enough through the web portal.

Artois
Artois  8405 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2009 - 10:46 PM

I have the vodafone dongle for when I am away from home. I use it for about 10 days a month and have not yet hit 1gb usage in a month. I don't download music and video though which is where I think the monthly usage would get eaten up. I pay £15 incl per month with up to 3gb usage. I have had it 3 months and no problems to date.

Stella

dark_lord
13 Jul 2009 - 10:48 PM

Thanks snapper, that's a good link. As i intend to use it out and about this will give me an idea what to expect. I see it was only from last week, too.
Britman, that's given me something else to think about, too.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123842 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jul 2009 - 7:54 AM

The other day I bought this one

It seems to fly in a so so area for mobile reception.

Peter

Last Modified By peterjones at 14 Jul 2009 - 7:55 AM
Miles Herbert
14 Jul 2009 - 8:56 AM

Vodafone block certain sites, including some photo sites, by default due to perceived adult content. You have to contact Vodafone to manually have this lifted using a credit card as proof of age...

I currently use a prepaid 3 Dongle thingy ... it's ok, not exactly broadband like I have at home, but it's better then nothing when out and about. I think if I were given the choice today I would go for the Vodafone one due to the fact that your credit does not expire.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.