Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mobile Phone Driving Ban

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jondf
jondf  82474 forum posts
11 Apr 2013 - 6:39 AM

Ever seen a car or lorry ahead slowing down, speeding up, drifting from the gutter to the white line and sometimes across it? Ever seen the tell-tale left hand propping a mobile phone against the driver's ear, or even worse, the driver's head continually looking down, looking up, looking down as they text whilst driving? Dave Eaton, a biker from Warrington, has got so fed up with seeing it that he's started an on-line petition to get the culprits banned by law. If you feel the same way as Dave, you've now the opportunity to sign a petition aimed at getting this serious issue a parliamentary debate. You can support Dave here -

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/hm-government-instant-ban-for-using-a-mobi...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Apr 2013 - 6:39 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022822 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 7:06 AM

So he wants to ban something that is illegal?

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 7:12 AM

I think he wants to make the penalty stricter - i.e. an instant driving ban for people caught driving with a mobile glued to their ear. Obviously not enough people are being caught and/or the current penalties are not enough of a deterrent. Personally, I think 'driving without due care and attention' should cover it - and a whole host of other driving sins. Why complicate things?

Last Modified By joolsb at 11 Apr 2013 - 7:14 AM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014519 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 7:24 AM

I just drive up beside them and hit the horn, and disrupt their conversation.Grin The fine here in Alberta is quite hefty.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 7:47 AM

I personally would love to see this happen, but if would be almost impossible to enforce due in part to the way successive governments have cut the amount of Police officers patrolling the roads and motorways. That's why so many drivers take a chance on getting 3 penalty points and a fine now, because the chances of actually getting caught are negligible! Changing the penalty won't change a damn thing, because there will always be selfish idiots willing to take the risks, same as the reasons drunk drivers still take theirs and everybody else's lives at risk.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022822 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 8:09 AM

The fine can be 1000 and a disqualification and many people are caught each year.

The one that catches people out is that you cannot use a phone whilst supervising a learner driver and you can be penalised under the same legislation for being distracted while using hands free or Sat Nav and CD Player etc.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96002 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 8:52 AM

I'd love to see a guy round this way caught - nice black Porsche, personalised number plate, I know who he is and where he works and he's on the phone every time I see him driving past.

Actually I'd really like to see him smash that black Porsche up in an injury free incident........... (and no, I don't like him much Smile)

keithh
11 Apr 2013 - 8:54 AM

Quick phone call. Times and Reg Plate. Wink

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104006 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 8:56 AM

It seems it's often the people with the expensive cars, who can well afford a hands free set, that are `guilty' of this heinous crime....let's name & shame GrinGrinGrin

If you had your `Google Glasses' on you could record the event GrinGrin

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96002 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 9:04 AM

Quote: Quick phone call. Times and Reg Plate. Wink

True - and knowing who is dad is (big fish, small pond) he'd probably get off scot free!

He'd not notice me standing there with a camera in hand - he's pretty much oblivious to anyone around him......

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72153 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 9:04 AM

Quote: The fine can be 1000 and a disqualification and many people are caught each year.

The one that catches people out is that you cannot use a phone whilst supervising a learner driver and you can be penalised under the same legislation for being distracted while using hands free or Sat Nav and CD Player etc.

Make you wonder why the manufacturers are still allowed to fit radio/cd players to road vehicles.
I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't listen to Ken Bruce's 'Pop Master', whilst navigating the 'accident waiting to happen' streets of the Guildford suburbs...

MikeA
MikeA  91156 forum posts England
11 Apr 2013 - 9:05 AM

l
Quote: It seems it's often the people with the expensive cars, who can well afford a hands free set, that are `guilty' of this heinous crime....let's name & shame GrinGrinGrin

If you had your `Google Glasses' on you could record the event GrinGrin

Around here the worst culprits are parents taking their children to school, steering wheel in on hand, phone in the other and foot to the board.............

Last Modified By MikeA at 11 Apr 2013 - 9:06 AM
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 9:09 AM

Quote: Make you wonder why the manufacturers are still allowed to fit radio/cd players to road vehicles.
I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't listen to Ken Bruce's 'Pop Master', whilst navigating the 'accident waiting to happen' streets of the Guildford suburbs...

There's nothing to stop you listening to your music as you drive just so long as you don't fiddle with the CD-player/radio at the same time. Stop first, then have a good fiddle (ooo-er, missus!!)

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8955 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 9:45 AM

well now playing a fiddle while driving is called hands free..lol

Henners88
Henners88  5204 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Apr 2013 - 9:45 AM

Quote: So he wants to ban something that is illegal?

No. Its illegal to use your mobile phone whilst driving but you do not get banned from driving if you are caught by the police. As explained, the petition is to change the law concerning the punishment if caught.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.