Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mobile Phone Driving Ban

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

collywobles
11 Apr 2013 - 9:51 AM

Quote: part to the way successive governments have cut the amount of Police officers patrolling the roads

A simple question from the OP and again its converted into some political comment, why are some so negative.

However, sticking to the string of this forum. I buy a new car every year and all my cars have voice controlled hands free phone plus I can control everything I need (climate/radio.CD/Sat Nav etc) by voice control. This is always standard fitting on my cars as it is on many others. Anyone can get a hands free phone kit for under a 100.

In addition, watching a program on that Meteor that came down in Russia, a lot of drivers in Russia have cameras fitted to their vehicles (which is how the video of that meteorite was captured) now that would be a great idea..........

Quote: Make you wonder why the manufacturers are still allowed to fit radio/cd players to road vehicles.

They can with voice control.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Apr 2013 - 9:51 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022720 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'm sure that all cars under 10,000 will be fitted with voice control.

keith selmes
11 Apr 2013 - 10:13 AM

Quote: A simple question from the OP and again its converted into some political comment,

I take it as a statement of fact, although I do mentally file it as hearsay which needs evidence. If you think the comment was inaccurate, you could tell us why. And since it refers to "successive governments" it must surely be apolitical.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315544 forum posts England
11 Apr 2013 - 10:41 AM

Quote: Quick phone call. Times and Reg Plate. Wink

True - and knowing who is dad is (big fish, small pond) he'd probably get off scot free!

He'd not notice me standing there with a camera in hand - he's pretty much oblivious to anyone around him......

Nice quality photo, run off 100 copies on a photocopier and stick them up in prominent places round town....

puertouk
puertouk  21052 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 10:46 AM

Give them 3 points, driving without due care and attention and a 1,000 fine. There's no excuses today, with all the gadgets available for hands free mobiles. If they are caught a second time, ban them for 3 months + 2,000 fine and 3 points. If they get caught a 3rd time a 12 month ban + 5,000 fine.
I'll guarantee you that you will see a lot less driving with mobiles glued to their ears.

MikeA
MikeA  91147 forum posts England
11 Apr 2013 - 11:08 AM

Quote: Give them 3 points, driving without due care and attention and a 1,000 fine. There's no excuses today, with all the gadgets available for hands free mobiles. If they are caught a second time, ban them for 3 months + 2,000 fine and 3 points. If they get caught a 3rd time a 12 month ban + 5,000 fine.
I'll guarantee you that you will see a lot less driving with mobiles glued to their ears.

If there is no one to catch and prosecute them it matters little what penalties are applied to an offence.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63272 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 11:22 AM

Quote: Quick phone call. Times and Reg Plate. Wink

And it will get filed away as a nuisance call with no action taken.

Maybe they should include forfeiting of the car when caught, that might concentrate the offenders minds a bit more. At the moment the 3 penalty points & a fine are often seen as worth risking for an "important" call.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 11:35 AM

Quote: Around here the worst culprits are parents taking their children to school

Snap! It is the same here in Norfolk, Lost count of the number of times I have had to take avoiding action, Because the driver of a people carrier or one of them big ugly Range Rover trucks, Ram jam full of kids going on the school run, Is so busy rabbiting on the dog & bone clamped to the side of their heads, Has failed to stop at a give-way sign with double broken lines, Driving ( though that's a debatable term ) straight across a junction, Just yards in front of muggins here....Wink

None of our motors have ABS, Coz they are not exactly new....LOL, So braking like a nutter and praying is not always the best option....LOL...Grin Hence a braking staccato style and fist full of steering is the best form of defence, Oh! The horn option as suggested in one post, Yeah! Great idea, But the milliseconds it takes to whack the horn button, Are sometimes better spent on taking avoiding actions, Something I picked up from a traffic sergeant in the Met many years ago....Wink He called it " Defensive Driving " or something like that.

The thing that really ticks me of though, Is this, The reaction from the driver of these kiddy death wagons ( Mainly female drivers I'm sad to say ) You either get absolutely no reaction what so ever, They just carry on regardless, Or they give you a look like " Its Your Fault " that they did not notice you, That second one is especially interesting when I'm driving a " Case International tractor with trailer attached.....Grin

So what is to be done, My personal take is that mobile phones should be banned altogether, Lets face it they are a blight on society as a whole, Created purely and simply to make billions of bucks for those who make them, Plus the governments cut of the spoils, LOL...Smile A win win situation for all concerned, So a few deaths here and there hardly matters....!!!

Ok! So banning the dam things altogether is likely to be a tad unpopular, How about the banning of " ANY " use of a mobile phone whilst inside a motor vehicle, Go one further and have vehicles fitted with some kind of jamming device that prevents phones from working inside a moving vehicle, One that say lets the phone work perfectly when the vehicle is stationary, Hell it has got to be possible in this gadget crazy period of time.....!!!

Turn on the ignition start the vehicle, Phone " Immediately " shuts down, Or maybe it shuts down when a gear is selected or the throttle is used, Whatever, Its all possible, IF they cared a jot to think about it, Trouble is it would add costs here and there, Someone would have to foot the bill, Guess who that would be.....Tongue

Somehow I do not see any meaningful solution of dealing with the problem, Sure a full on driving ban might worry a few, But the problem is going to get worse, Much worse as a side issue of the latest Smart phone come Phablet gadgets that are now in proliferation....!!!!!!!!!!!

So the guy killed by a truck driver who was texting his girlfriend whilst driving, Could very soon become the guy/gal killed by a driver playing a game, Or adding more dribble to their " Facebook page, Or doing a spot of on line shopping, Heck! It 's Gonna make " Death Race 2000 " seem a tad civilized by comparison.

What the hell, We are already overpopulated, Could be just another way of dealing with that issue, Lucky dip style.

Does anyone get the impression I'm a bit anti mobiles.....Grin Surely not....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 11 Apr 2013 - 11:37 AM
keithh
keithh  1022720 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 12:04 PM

Quote: And it will get filed away as a nuisance call with no action taken.

Nope. It will get given a crime report number and assigned to an officer who must follow it up.

mikehit
mikehit  46102 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 12:11 PM

...with the promise they will 'have a word'....scary, huh?...

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 12:19 PM

Quote: Does anyone get the impression I'm a bit anti mobiles....

They have their place like most tech, but when I'm in the car I always put my phone in my front trouser pocket and being the fattie I am Sad the only way I can answer it is by stopping and getting out the car......Takes away all the temptation! I could Bluetooth it to the radio, but I believe my concentration would still be compromised even using the hands free, it may seem a pious to folk, but my licence is worth keeping seeing as I'm disabled driver.

mikehit
mikehit  46102 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 12:24 PM

Quote: They have their place like most tech, but when I'm in the car I always put my phone in my front trouser pocket

With the phone on 'vibrate', hoping they would call back when you didn't reply?? Naughty boy.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 12:43 PM

Quote: With the phone on 'vibrate', hoping they would call back when you didn't reply?? Naughty boy.

I definately wouldn't be able to concentrate on the road then Mike Blush

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41017 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England132 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 1:13 PM

Takes away all the temptation! I could Bluetooth it to the radio, but I believe my concentration would still be compromised even using the hands free....

Spot on, Ade, it's not the fact you are holding the phone with one hand (how many people eat and drink whilst driving amongst other things) it's the fact you are concentrating on what's been said on the phone. As such you are not totally concentrating on the road. I even go as far as not making meaningful conversation with a driver for fear of distracting them. Another difference betwen the sexes is the apparent need for a woman to look at the person they are talking to, how many times have you seen a lady driver looking sideways at her passenger whilst talking and driving.

Back to the point... cars should have a mobile phone signal jammer built in.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53509 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 1:34 PM

Lets face it, there are quite a few appalling drivers on our roads, and it seems loads of uninsured drivers too.

There are loads of ways to improve safety on our roads and this is just one obvious visual sign of them.
Others bad habits etc are not using you mirrors, not having lorries fitted with cyclist mirrors, hard late breaking, light jumping, cutting up - not giving way - the list goes on and on.

I love the suggestion above about video camera's - lets make all new cars have video camera's (and generic hands free kits in the radios ) fitted that like the insurance reducing driving style units; you can upload the last 5 mins of video where you've seen idiots endangering people. 5 matches a year and you are forced to retake you test or lose your licence.

Lets also educate all new arrivals with international licences on the laws on driving, carrying passengers and unrestrained kids etc.

Lets make insurance affordable/accessible and remove all uninsured cars from the streets.

Driving can have dramatic and disturbing effects for others - lets have ASDO's ( Anti Social Driving Orders ) for persistent offenders.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 11 Apr 2013 - 1:35 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.