Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mobile Phone Driving Ban

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
11 Apr 2013 - 1:36 PM

Quote: Takes away all the temptation! I could Bluetooth it to the radio, but I believe my concentration would still be compromised even using the hands free....

Spot on, Ade, it's not the fact you are holding the phone with one hand (how many people eat and drink whilst driving amongst other things) it's the fact you are concentrating on what's been said on the phone. As such you are not totally concentrating on the road. I even go as far as not making meaningful conversation with a driver for fear of distracting them. Another difference betwen the sexes is the apparent need for a woman to look at the person they are talking to, how many times have you seen a lady driver looking sideways at her passenger whilst talking and driving.

Back to the point... cars should have a mobile phone signal jammer built in.

I'm perfectly able to hold a conversation while concentrating on my driving. That said, I don't feel the need to look at the person I am talking to. If you can't manage that, you really shouldn't be in charge of a car.

My phone connects to the audio via bluetooth, but since I have no friends, nobody ever calls me anyway Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Apr 2013 - 1:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
11 Apr 2013 - 2:15 PM

Quote: None of our motors have ABS, Coz they are not exactly new....LOL, So braking like a nutter and praying is not always the best option....LOL...Grin Hence a braking staccato style and fist full of steering is the best form of defence, Oh! The horn option as suggested in one post, Yeah! Great idea, But the milliseconds it takes to whack the horn button, Are sometimes better spent on taking avoiding actions, Something I picked up from a traffic sergeant in the Met many years ago....Wink He called it " Defensive Driving " or something like that.

With a bad attitude like this you should seek counselling.....!

thewilliam
11 Apr 2013 - 2:47 PM

Quote: Lets face it, there are quite a few appalling drivers on our roads, and it seems loads of uninsured drivers too.

Lets make insurance affordable/accessible and remove all uninsured cars from the streets.

Driving can have dramatic and disturbing effects for others - lets have ASDO's ( Anti Social Driving Orders ) for persistent offenders.

According to the Court Report in our local paper, the average fine for driving without insurance is roughly the same as my quarterly payment. I'm in my 60s with a clean licence and a Passat so the fine is probably just one monthly payment for a youngster. This is hardly a deterrent!

mervyntattoo
11 Apr 2013 - 5:48 PM

I agree to imposing a ban, first offense. Can't speed cameras be used?

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 5:56 PM

Quote: And it will get filed away as a nuisance call with no action taken.

Nope. It will get given a crime report number and assigned to an officer who must follow it up.

And do what?
Interview you? Interview the alleged offender?
Who denies ever doing an offence as the car was parked on the side of the road at the time.
I spoke to our local police about this a while back and their comment was unless there is an accident involved the amount of investigation required to prove an offence could not be justified. The chances of a successful prosecution based on a report by a non police officer are almost nil, as any smart-arsed lawyer will tell you.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
11 Apr 2013 - 6:05 PM

All comments are welcome, some stimulating ...vibrators (((Tongue))), some not so stimulating ...vibrators turned off Sad *but have you signed the petition?*

mikehit
mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 6:12 PM

Quote: I spoke to our local police about this a while back and their comment was unless there is an accident involved the amount of investigation required to prove an offence could not be justified. The chances of a successful prosecution based on a report by a non police officer are almost nil, as any smart-arsed lawyer will tell you.

I spoke to (different) members of the police when seatbelts laws were introduced and when the mobile phone laws were introduced. Their real intention was, as you suggest, to add a level of liability to any accident and consequent injury rather than giving the police powers to prosecute people. The police like them because it gives them more chances to stop motorists and very often people who are involved in 'bigger crimes' are also likely to contravene these as well.

bmh1
bmh1 e2 Member 8571 forum postsbmh1 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 6:44 PM

Perhaps we need the equivalent of the front-facing speed cameras, but are triggered by a mobile phone signal ... It should then just be a question of checking the picture to see if it was the driver on the phone or a passenger etc.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2013 - 7:05 PM

My phone also connects to the car stereo via Bluetooth but if I get a call I always make it clear I'm driving and cannot speak for very long, I.e. more than about 10 seconds max.

779HOB
779HOB  21003 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 - 8:44 AM

Quote: I.e. more than about 10 seconds max.

If you have a passenger do you also say the same thing? I don't think talking on hands-free is any different than talking to someone sitting in the passenger seat. Most people understand that you are driving and the conversation might be interrupted when you are tackling a round-about for something.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 9:06 AM

Quote: I don't think talking on hands-free is any different than talking to someone sitting in the passenger seat. Most people understand that you are driving and the conversation might be interrupted when you are tackling a round-about for something.

The main difference is that when you are talking to your passenger, the passenger can see what you're seeing and react accordingly. With hands-free you have to tell the other party "sorry, can't talk for a moment. Someone is screaming at me as they roll off the bonnet" or some-such. And that's assuming you aren't so wrapped up in the conversation that you totally miss said screaming person rolling off your bonnet....

keithh
keithh  1022804 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 9:10 AM

"Are you still there?"

779HOB
779HOB  21003 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 - 9:12 AM

I guess it depends on who you are - I put the driving first and more often miss what the person on the phone has said. But I like I say they get this normally. I don't take every call and very very rarely make a call but I don't think it's any different to talking to someone in the passenger seat really. Your first focus should be on the road whatever. But it really does depend on the person who's driving I guess.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72149 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 9:15 AM

Quote: I don't think talking on hands-free is any different than talking to someone sitting in the passenger seat. Most people understand that you are driving and the conversation might be interrupted when you are tackling a round-about for something.

The main difference is that when you are talking to your passenger, the passenger can see what you're seeing and react accordingly. With hands-free you have to tell the other party "sorry, can't talk for a moment. Someone is screaming at me as they roll off the bonnet" or some-such. And that's assuming you aren't so wrapped up in the conversation that you totally miss said screaming person rolling off your bonnet....

Is this proved to be significantly different?

keithh
keithh  1022804 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 9:18 AM

I would have said the same but I've seen simulator tests that show reaction times of hands free and hand held are pretty similar...and both slower than talking to a passenger.

The worst one though was take away coffee sold in most garages these days. When you lift it to drink when the cup is half full, you block a large percentage of your vision.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.