Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Mobile Phone Driving Ban

779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 9:26AM

Quote:I would have said the same but I've seen simulator tests that show reaction times of hands free and hand held are pretty similar...and both slower than talking to a passenger.

As I say different for different people - I would like to take that test. I can ignore someone on the phone as easily as someone sat next to me.

I'd agree about the coffee - isn't eating and drinking an offence too?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
12 Apr 2013 9:43AM

Quote:As I say different for different people - I would like to take that test. I can ignore someone on the phone as easily as someone sat next to me.

I think the theory is that you have to put more concentration into talking with someone who is not physically present as you miss the subtle facial and gestural cues which we all do and which generally ease face-to-face conversation. For example, how many times have you seen people explaining a point to someone on the other end of a phone with the help of gestures that the other party can't possibly see?

If you're driving and making gestures (even if you aren't on the phone) then you can't be porperly in control of your vehicle (and possibly your temper too, but that's a different matter... Smile)
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 9:51AM

Quote:you have to put more concentration into talking with someone who is not physically present as you miss the subtle facial and gestural cues which we all do and which generally ease face-to-face conversation

But you shouldn't be looking at someone in the passenger seat Wink

Quote:I'd agree about the coffee - isn't eating and drinking an offence too?

As far as I'm aware the offence is not driving with due care and attention (distracted opening a packet of crisps) or not being in control of your vehicle (not got both hands on the wheel). But I have never heard of someone being stopped/fined for smoking while driving.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
12 Apr 2013 11:29AM
Not far from here, motorists have been prosecuted for eating a Kitkat while driving and drinking from a water-bottle while stationary at traffic lights.

One April 1st news item stated that the driving test was to be modified: when parallel-parking, the candidate would henceforth have to hold a meaningful conversation about a football game.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 11:32AM

Quote:Not far from here, motorists have been prosecuted for ...drinking from a water-bottle while stationary at traffic lights.

That is the where they start to lose the support of the public. I have no idea how they argue that the person is not in control of their vehicle when it is stationary.
779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 11:44AM

Quote:when parallel-parking, the candidate would henceforth have to hold a meaningful conversation about a football game.

Can't see how that would work if it was a female examiner!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 Apr 2013 11:54AM
And it's not just motoring where use of mobile phones are causing hackles to rise! Grin

Article
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 12:09PM

Quote:And it's not just motoring where use of mobile phones are causing hackles to rise! Grin

Article

So we go from "Home taping is killing music", to "Smart phones are killing music", haha Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 Apr 2013 12:15PM
The music died years ago........... according to Don McLean! Grin
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 12:18PM
and Simon Cowell killed it.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
12 Apr 2013 12:52PM

Quote:and Simon Cowell killed it.

I wish someone would kill Simon Cowell...Tongue

That'll be it now, I'll be having the internet Police banging me door down for harassment and threats to kill! Sad
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
12 Apr 2013 1:48PM
A study I read showed that the average distraction time for smoking is more than that of being on a mobile ... Not to mention the chances of dropping ash, burning cigarette or them blowing into the back and always having one hand busy .. So maybe we should add smoking to the instant ban list. And this isn't motivated from any anti- smoking opinion.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
12 Apr 2013 1:57PM

Quote:And Simon Cowell killed it.

No it was video according to the Buggles Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 Apr 2013 2:03PM

Quote:No it was video according to the Buggles

Only the radio stars. Smile
17 Apr 2013 9:58PM
My opinion, for what it's worth-
1. Caught using phone while driving. First offence- permanent driving ban. No second chance, never get a licence again. Zero tolerance. I think that might dissuade quite a lot of people from taking the risk, just in case... Trouble is, no government would ever get it through.
2. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to require car manufacturers, by law, to fit some kind of signal-jamming electronics that operates when the car is moving?

Of course, as has been pointed out already- it's not just phones. My sister and her husband were almost killed when they were shunted in the outside lane of a motorway by some brainless idiot bombing along and reading a map that he had on the passenger seat. Mindless stupidity will always find a way.....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.