Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mobile Phone Driving Ban

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
779HOB
779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 - 9:26 AM

Quote: I would have said the same but I've seen simulator tests that show reaction times of hands free and hand held are pretty similar...and both slower than talking to a passenger.

As I say different for different people - I would like to take that test. I can ignore someone on the phone as easily as someone sat next to me.

I'd agree about the coffee - isn't eating and drinking an offence too?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Apr 2013 - 9:26 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 9:43 AM

Quote: As I say different for different people - I would like to take that test. I can ignore someone on the phone as easily as someone sat next to me.

I think the theory is that you have to put more concentration into talking with someone who is not physically present as you miss the subtle facial and gestural cues which we all do and which generally ease face-to-face conversation. For example, how many times have you seen people explaining a point to someone on the other end of a phone with the help of gestures that the other party can't possibly see?

If you're driving and making gestures (even if you aren't on the phone) then you can't be porperly in control of your vehicle (and possibly your temper too, but that's a different matter... Smile)

mikehit
mikehit  56310 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 9:51 AM

Quote: you have to put more concentration into talking with someone who is not physically present as you miss the subtle facial and gestural cues which we all do and which generally ease face-to-face conversation

But you shouldn't be looking at someone in the passenger seat Wink

Quote: I'd agree about the coffee - isn't eating and drinking an offence too?

As far as I'm aware the offence is not driving with due care and attention (distracted opening a packet of crisps) or not being in control of your vehicle (not got both hands on the wheel). But I have never heard of someone being stopped/fined for smoking while driving.

thewilliam
12 Apr 2013 - 11:29 AM

Not far from here, motorists have been prosecuted for eating a Kitkat while driving and drinking from a water-bottle while stationary at traffic lights.

One April 1st news item stated that the driving test was to be modified: when parallel-parking, the candidate would henceforth have to hold a meaningful conversation about a football game.

mikehit
mikehit  56310 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 11:32 AM

Quote: Not far from here, motorists have been prosecuted for ...drinking from a water-bottle while stationary at traffic lights.

That is the where they start to lose the support of the public. I have no idea how they argue that the person is not in control of their vehicle when it is stationary.

779HOB
779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 - 11:44 AM

Quote: when parallel-parking, the candidate would henceforth have to hold a meaningful conversation about a football game.

Can't see how that would work if it was a female examiner!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 11:54 AM

And it's not just motoring where use of mobile phones are causing hackles to rise! Grin

Article

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72212 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 12:09 PM

Quote: And it's not just motoring where use of mobile phones are causing hackles to rise! Grin

Article

So we go from "Home taping is killing music", to "Smart phones are killing music", haha Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 12:15 PM

The music died years ago........... according to Don McLean! Grin

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 12:18 PM

and Simon Cowell killed it.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114499 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 12:52 PM

Quote: and Simon Cowell killed it.

I wish someone would kill Simon Cowell...Tongue

That'll be it now, I'll be having the internet Police banging me door down for harassment and threats to kill! Sad

monstersnowman
12 Apr 2013 - 1:48 PM

A study I read showed that the average distraction time for smoking is more than that of being on a mobile ... Not to mention the chances of dropping ash, burning cigarette or them blowing into the back and always having one hand busy .. So maybe we should add smoking to the instant ban list. And this isn't motivated from any anti- smoking opinion.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73848 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 1:57 PM

Quote: And Simon Cowell killed it.

No it was video according to the Buggles Wink

Carabosse
12 Apr 2013 - 2:03 PM

Quote: No it was video according to the Buggles

Only the radio stars. Smile

whatriveristhis
whatriveristhis e2 Member 163 forum postswhatriveristhis vcard England71 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 9:58 PM

My opinion, for what it's worth-
1. Caught using phone while driving. First offence- permanent driving ban. No second chance, never get a licence again. Zero tolerance. I think that might dissuade quite a lot of people from taking the risk, just in case... Trouble is, no government would ever get it through.
2. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to require car manufacturers, by law, to fit some kind of signal-jamming electronics that operates when the car is moving?

Of course, as has been pointed out already- it's not just phones. My sister and her husband were almost killed when they were shunted in the outside lane of a motorway by some brainless idiot bombing along and reading a map that he had on the passenger seat. Mindless stupidity will always find a way.....

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.