Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mobile Phone Driving Ban

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

RogBrown
RogBrown  73001 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 10:48 PM

They seem to get along quite well in America simultaneously driving, smoking, talking on a cell-phone, drinking coffee & applying make-up. Not sure what the accident statistics are. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Apr 2013 - 10:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whatriveristhis
whatriveristhis e2 Member 163 forum postswhatriveristhis vcard England70 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 10:53 PM

Quote: They seem to get along quite well in America simultaneously driving, smoking, talking on a cell-phone, drinking coffee & applying make-up. Not sure what the accident statistics are. Smile

Me neither. Wouldn't be surprised if they're about the same as the murder statistics. Or the gun crime stats. Or the obesity stats.

lemmy
lemmy  71807 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Apr 2013 - 11:52 PM

Quote: They seem to get along quite well in America simultaneously driving, smoking, talking on a cell-phone,

Here's one take on mobiles on the move that I took in Utah.
family00043-medium.jpg

keith selmes
18 Apr 2013 - 11:00 AM

Quote: . Wouldn't be surprised if they're about the same as the murder statistics

Road fatalities per 100,000 population per annum, UK 3.5, USA 12.3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72504 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
18 Apr 2013 - 3:46 PM

Take the mobile phone test

Read the instructions and try to join the 19% of people who pass...!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022889 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2013 - 4:32 PM

The ones who fail will be non-windows users. Wink

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2013 - 5:29 PM

Quote: Read the instructions and try to join the 19% of people who pass...!

That is a very strange test, can't really see how it is related to driving on the phone at all.
All of these things are based on the false assumption that you are actually listening/interested in what the person on the phone is saying.
Only phone calls I get when driving are from work or the wife, both of which don't require me to be interested, just to say yes (or yes dear) in the right places.

collywobles
18 Apr 2013 - 5:38 PM

Even though I got the correct number I effectively ignored the phone call which is what I would do if concentrating on the road. So as with Lobsterboy, the test is a bit meaningless.

lemmy
lemmy  71807 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Apr 2013 - 7:03 PM

Quote: Only phone calls I get when driving are from work or the wife, both of which don't require me to be interested, just to say yes (or yes dear) in the right places

Thank you for that fascinating information. Perhaps we can discuss it when you get home from work tonight.
love
Mrs Lobsterboy

J_MacT
J_MacT  1
18 Apr 2013 - 7:17 PM

Every car I own has a 100 Parrot system fitted. Great wee thing, even works through the steering wheel buttons on the BM. I get a bit pissed off seeing lorry drivers and company van drivers with phones glued to their ears, surely haulage companies and any business that runs vans can afford a hands free system ( and I don't mean one of these piddly clip on the ear jobs) to be fitted into their company lorries/vans?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 7:01 AM

Quote: Only phone calls I get when driving are from work or the wife, both of which don't require me to be interested, just to say yes (or yes dear) in the right places

Thank you for that fascinating information. Perhaps we can discuss it when you get home from work tonight.
love
Mrs Lobsterboy

Yes dear

collywobles
19 Apr 2013 - 8:31 AM

Quote: Thank you for that fascinating information. Perhaps we can discuss it when you get home from work tonight.
love
Mrs Lobsterboy

LOL (8o)

leybald
leybald  439 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Apr 2013 - 11:59 AM

I must admit I rarely participate on the forums, however I feel compelled to give my tu'pennorth.

1. Yes you can have a conversation with a passenger and still to the most part concentrate on driving. However the major difference is your passenger can see shall any challenging driving situations and unless they're stupid will shut up whilst you negotiate whatever the hazard is. A person on the end of the phone, including handsfree can't see what you're doing and will carry on chatting regardless. Worse still if you go quite because you're trying to concentrate on driving they'll quite often make it worse by asking if you're still their etc.

2. Drivers in the USA do not cope with cellphone use (as they call all it) any better than we do. If anything their horrendous per capita KSI (killed or seriously injured) statistics prove otherwise.

3. The police would do a lot more to combat the problem but the cuts to Roads Policing or Traffic as it was known have cut resources to the bone.

4. One point that has not been raised is that if a driver is involved in a fatal or serious injury collision then his phone will be seized and forensically examined (it may not be returned for months or until after a court case.) If it is proved that the driver was using the phone at the time of the collision regardless of who's to blame then they can in the case of fatality expect a prison sentence. This is the current sentencing guideline from the Home Office for courts.

5. Eating/smoking or doing anything else at the wheel that distracts from driving is covered by the offence "failing to be in full and proper control." Before it was made an offence to use whilst driving this is the offence police would use. Yes you probably can eat. drink, smoke etc. and still be safe. What the police will be looking for is that extra bit that's shows you're distracted or not in full control, e.g. not indicating, wandering, hitting the kerb, seen to be taking you eyes off the road for an unsafe period etc. Its funny when you see an anti-police "haven't they got anything better to do" article in the Daily Mail about eating a snack at the wheel they omit to mention the full story detailing how it affected the driving.

In case you're wandering yes I am police officer, I will always go out of my way to prosecute anyone using a phone whilst driving and no I haven't got anything better to do. Having to knock on a door to deliver an unexpected death message and then take a family member to the mortuary is not something I like to do and over the years I've done it far too many times. It doesn't get any easier and yes some of the fatalities I've dealt with were later found to be related to the use of mobile phones.

Hope this helps.

Last Modified By leybald at 19 Apr 2013 - 12:00 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56289 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 12:08 PM

I think your post says it all.

My one question:

Quote: Yes you probably can eat. drink, smoke etc. and still be safe. What the police will be looking for is that extra bit that's shows you're distracted or not in full control, e.g. not indicating, wandering, hitting the kerb, seen to be taking you eyes off the road for an unsafe period etc.

So why are people prosecuted for having a drink while pulled up at a set of traffic lights?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022889 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 12:11 PM

I cant recall the exact wording but what the law says is that you should not do anything that distracts you from operating the vehicle as intended. This pre-dates the mobile phone law.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.