Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mobile Phone Driving Ban

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lemmy
lemmy  71774 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Apr 2013 - 11:51 AM

Quote: The cyclist who is raising the petition needs to raise one as well to ban cyclists from ignoring traffic lights, cycling lanes and from riding on pavements.

There is no law that says that cyclists must use cycle lanes. One of the lanes in my area of London is so badly implemented as to be dangerous and no one uses it.

Also, car drivers park across cycle lanes (legally, sometimes) throwing the cyclist right out into the traffic stream.

As someone who used cycle, car and motor-cycles as transport, it is quite amusing to see the way everyone in the UK hates the other road user, believes the people who use another mode of transport are the sinners and that they, and they alone have the right to use the road as they see fit and hang the rest.

I spend as much of the year as I can in France where I can both drive and cycle comfortably, cars give me cycling space and parking is generally free.

The reason? The average population density in London where I live 7 or 8 months of the year is 5,300 per sq kilometre, Kent, where I was brought up, 540 and Aude in the south of France, where I am now....48 per sq kilometre.

In England we suffer from the crowded rat syndrome and as it gets more crowded people drive more desperately, fighting for what little space there is.

France has much worse road death figures than the UK. It seems certain that many accidents here are caused by alcohol and because of the open roads, those accidents occur at higher speeds. In the UK, it seems to be anger that is the aggravating factor.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Apr 2013 - 11:51 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
21 Apr 2013 - 11:58 AM

Quote: In England we suffer from the crowded rat syndrome and as it gets more crowded people drive more desperately, fighting for what little space there is.

interesting thought Lemmy!

lemmy
21 Apr 2013 - 12:14 PM

Quote: interesting thought Lemmy!

Cheerful b*****d, aren't I? Smile

Evertonian
21 Apr 2013 - 12:43 PM

Quote:
There is no law that says that cyclists must use cycle lanes. One of the lanes in my area of London is so badly implemented as to be dangerous and no one uses it.

You may well be correct I would not wish to argue the point. I presumed that because it is illegal to drive a car in a cycle lane that the corollary was true. It does seem perverse if you are correct, but the fact remains that cyclists get away with (Metaphorical) murder. I watch them regularly ignore red trafic lights and if a car 'beeps' its horn, the driver gets the single finger salute (what happened to the English two fingers?). I believe there should be registration of cycles and tests for road users as I remember in my day we were always taught the highway code by our parents and there was very little traffic in those days either. Now by observing the actions of a lot of them, not all, some are very good, I see dangerous manoeuvres and law breaking ones too, because they know they will not be prosecuted, let alone interviewed by the "Buzzies." What will happen eventually course is if they are lucky, they will 'come to' in a hospital where they will be well looked after, the alternative is cold slab!!!!!!

Better generally for drivers and cyclists to keep 'schumm' about each other, as a satisfactory conclusion will never be reached.

It is all about 'pots and kettles.'

Last Modified By Evertonian at 21 Apr 2013 - 12:44 PM
Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122211 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2013 - 2:50 PM

Quote: Cheerful b*****d, aren't I?

No, just smug cos you live down this way Wink

keithh
keithh  1022812 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2013 - 3:52 PM

You're missing the point of the law. Changing gear is part of driving, picking up or eating an apple is not and requires you to use a hand to do it that is no longer being used to drive.

lemmy
21 Apr 2013 - 6:32 PM

Quote: I believe there should be registration of cycles and tests for road users, I see dangerous manoeuvres and law breaking ones too, because they know they will not be prosecuted

Not wanting to labour a point but have you seen the behaviour of car drivers with mobile phones, speeding, illegal parking - they are licensed and tested. Occasionally they are even prosecuted. Why would licensing and testing and prosecution make any more difference to standards of cycling than it does to standards of car driving? Last year as far as I know no-one was killed by a cyclist. Drivers killed 1901 people in 2012.....cyclist none. Around 204,000 cases of serious injury involving cars. The death rate is now increasing. Cyclists can be a nuisance and are mainly a danger to themselves. Cars can and do kill.

It is wrong that cyclists jump red lights, but I do move to the mouth of a junction past the lights when stopping at the light. It is life preservation. Otherwise 2 abreast car drivers jockey for position and the cyclist on the inside is put at risk. It is also wrong that car drivers use mobile phones. I never do.

As someone who cycles and drives regularly I do not find the two groups of road users particularly different. There seems to be an idea that insulting signs are only made by cyclists. Really? Anyone who thinks that is obviously not paying attention to other drivers. But, it's the British way. One group harangues the other. There is no will to solve a problem, no discussion, just name calling and accusations. Few problems are caused by one party only. It's all a bit childish and pathetic but as we see from the parliamentary example, it is the British way.

collywobles
22 Apr 2013 - 8:36 AM

Quote: I believe there should be registration of cycles and tests for road users, I see dangerous manoeuvres and law breaking ones too, because they know they will not be prosecuted

Not a bad idea, also perhaps if a cyclist wants to ride on the road, then maybe they should have some insurance also, just as car and m/cycle riders do, not sure how you would monitor it though........ However in saying this I also think that people who are banned from driving, or have more than 3 points on their licence should have to resit their test also. More than 3 points means you are a careless driver and if you are banned then maybe you should sit a retest.

Last Modified By collywobles at 22 Apr 2013 - 8:36 AM
jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
22 Apr 2013 - 10:25 AM

Quote: The cyclist who is raising the petition

The petition raiser is a motor-cycle rider...

Evertonian
22 Apr 2013 - 10:41 AM

Quote: The cyclist who is raising the petition

The petition raiser is a motor-cycle rider...

UK I misunderstood "Biker".

Evertonian
22 Apr 2013 - 10:45 AM

Quote: I
Not wanting to labour a point but have you seen the behaviour of car drivers with mobile phones, speeding, illegal parking - they are licensed and tested. Occasionally they are even prosecuted. Why would licensing and testing and prosecution make any more difference to standards of cycling than it does to standards of car driving?

Yes of course I have, I did mention that in a quote on this subject and there is no earthly raeson to be driving and holding a phone at the same time.

The other point about registration though is that if caught the details of a cyclist would have been registered and therefore prosecution could occur. Presently a made up address can be given and prosecutiuon therefore will not occur.

If the police fail to prosecute, then I do not agree with that but prosecution will at least be possible.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
22 Apr 2013 - 10:51 AM

Although red light jumping cyclist are annoying, the main treat they pose is to themselves. Driving a heavy object without paying full attention poses a serious threat to others which is far more serious.

As a cyclist I will use well designed and maintained cycle paths, but in many cases this is not the case and I will use the road which is safer and faster.

lemmy
22 Apr 2013 - 12:16 PM

Quote: there is no earthly raeson to be driving and holding a phone at the same time

I meant more that you suggested cyclists should be registered and tested as if that would improve their behaviour. I pointed out that car drivers are registered and tested and we have figures out recently to show that 49% of them break speed limits and a third regularly use hand held mobile phones on the move. If that is the (non) effect of licensing and testing car drivers, it is hard to see why it would work any better for cyclists.

Like I say, I am experienced in all three main modes of road transport. Each group points at the other and in effect says 'it's all their fault'. It's absurd and childish. Reality is that most people in most groups drive perfectly well, making mistakes occasionally as we all do. There are a minority who behave badly and I don't think all should be judged by the few, any more than the over-zealous cops represent the sensible majority of officers.

Someone wants more lcensing, more testing and more government regulation, already?

Evertonian
23 Apr 2013 - 10:52 AM

Quote:
Someone wants more lcensing, more testing and more government regulation, already?

So perhaps we should deregulate HGV Drivers and motorists in order to have a level playing field??????????????????

lemmy
23 Apr 2013 - 11:15 AM

Quote: So perhaps we should deregulate HGV Drivers and motorists in order to have a level playing field

I didn't say de-regulate, I said we didn't need yet more regulations that we could not and did not enforce.

I'm not sure where you got de-regulate from but if it was a someone's else's previous post I must have missed it, in which case, ignore this one of mine.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.