Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mobile phone tracking

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat606
tomcat606  596 forum posts
3 Feb 2012 - 9:32 AM

Is there such a pieces of software out that lets you see were a person’s location is by their mobile phone number. My Sons Boss has made a comment ‘’ I know where you are through you mobile ‘’
Not too happy about this I will say

Thanks
Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Feb 2012 - 9:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022894 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2012 - 9:45 AM

If its a company phone, then yes unless your son has activated it himself on an i-phone for example

mikehit
mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2012 - 9:56 AM

i-phones have an option to let people track where you are. But I believe what it does is inform the other person which transmitter your phone is hooked into, not exactly where you are. I believe it is called 'location services' in the settings menu.

tomcat606
tomcat606  596 forum posts
3 Feb 2012 - 9:58 AM

So if it’s not a company mobile it can’t be done or is it just illegal as for the iphone thing I will have to ask him’ saying that if he has can any other iphone user track him

Thanks
Sad

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8504 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
3 Feb 2012 - 10:46 AM

Quote: I-phones have an option to let people track where you are. But I believe what it does is inform the other person which transmitter your phone is hooked into, not exactly where you are. I believe it is called 'location services' in the settings menu.

The iphone app. "find my phone" enables the user to log in on any computer, using their apple i.d. and password, and it will then find your phone's position using the built in GPS. and show it on a map. Accuracy within about 10 metres, so you can see if you've left it at a friend's house etc.

Very useful if you've mislaid your phone...you can send a message to it that appears on the screen asking whoever finds it to ring you, or you can disable the phone remotely to prevent use. (If you've got sensitive data in the phone, you can wipe it remotely as well).

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2012 - 1:08 PM

Looks easy enough to do if you can get your hands on the phone

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315157 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2012 - 2:03 PM

Any good

http://www.mycelltracker.com/

There`s Google latitude as well but I don`t think its any good for the uk.

wing
wing  10453 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Feb 2012 - 2:32 PM

It's been on HTC phones for some time. Via HTC Sense "as long as you log in with your personal username and password" you can trace the location of your phone at any time, lock it rendering the device useless to anyone else, or erase the contents of the phone. As mentioned by Keithh, if the phone is supplied by an employer, then yes, easily done, although I think any employer is legally obliged to inform an employee that they are being tracked.

eric6
eric6  6 Greece
3 Feb 2012 - 11:23 PM

Most mobiles with Google Lattitude can show where the preson is but the holder of the phone (at the time) must activate it and it shows up on Google maps

Dave_Canon
6 Apr 2012 - 1:31 PM

It is a useful feature and both my children switch in on when they plan to visit so we can track their progress; this allows us to be at the station on time, prepare a meal etc. We can also track them when they return thus have confirmation that their mobile has reached home at least. Both of them normally remember to switch this off at other times for privacy as there is no reason why we should track their every movement and, as far as I know, they only limit access to very close relatives. My son just bought me a Android Galaxy for my birthday which also has this feature. I will use the GPS facility to plot locations of my photos but cannot actually be tracked myself (other than when at home) as I am not paying for a mobile internet connection and nor have I enabled anyone to access the tracking.

Dave

collywobles
8 Oct 2012 - 10:58 AM

In all the software I have seen and downloaded the person being tracked has to agree/allow that function. A request is sent to the person who is to be tracked and they either click yes or no. Glympse is one piece of software.

Last Modified By collywobles at 8 Oct 2012 - 10:59 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 11:09 AM

I think PlanB allows you to do it if you have access to the google play account.

Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 11:53 AM

I'm am not sure about it being legal on work mobiles. I take mine home on evenings and weekends in case I am needed in an emergency. It would be violating my privacy (if not human rights) to be monitored in my private time without consent. The information could be used to see if I was home and possibly somebody could break in. I am sick of the 'Big brother' society we have. Only recently it was on the news of the expasion of high definition CCTV so that clear details of movements could be estabilshed. So basically if I wiped my nose when driving I could be 'done' for not having control over the vehicle.

Last Modified By Toonman at 8 Oct 2012 - 11:58 AM
mikehit
mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 12:14 PM

Quote: I'm am not sure about it being legal on work mobiles.

If it is a work phone, and they probably have a clause that you cannot use it for personal use, in which case they have a right to use it if that is made clear when they give the phone to you. And if you are 'on call' you are, to some extent, on company time.

Quote: The information could be used to see if I was home and possibly somebody could break in.

I believe they can code it so only the company can use the software. But even a thief would need to know your name, work phone number and address by which time they already know more about you than I would be happy with.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 12:18 PM

If you have to enable tracking on the phone, surely it's a fuss over nothing?

You choose to be tracked.

The only situation in which it could become an invasion of privacy is if a company insisted it is enabled on a work mobile.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.