Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

mobile scam

dcash29 9 2.0k England
11 Oct 2012 7:40PM
Recently ive been receiving texts informing on tips for my smartphone

text number is 60053

if you get it text back... stop all

Ive been intouch with the firm and have been unsubscribed, something i didnt subscribe to in the first place

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 7:47PM
Lots of these about, you can report them to your mobile provider by forwarding them to 7726, they can then block them. If you have persistent spam texts, you can report these to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). I've been having daily texts from some spurious company & they have now stopped. The advice from the ICO is not to text stop if you do not know it is a proper company as you are just confirming your line is live.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
11 Oct 2012 7:47PM
I keep getting one informing me that my claim for PPI is ready and could I get in touch with them? Not made a claim and I suspect that if I replied I'd get nothing but spam.
Sabreur 9 767 England
11 Oct 2012 7:53PM

Quote:Lots of these about, you can report them to your mobile provider by forwarding them to 7726, they can then block them.

I believe for Vodafone the number is 87726.

7726 of course spells spam, so is easy to remember.
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 7:54PM
It's well worth forwarding them as it is stopping them.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 8:21PM
Be careful with them - there are some of these sites where you are billed about 2 per text simply for receiving them (the sender gets a fair amount of that). I got hit by this and was told by the girl in the Vodafone shop that they know about this but Vodafone do nothing about it.
martinl e2
11 255 2 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 8:28PM

Quote:I keep getting one informing me that my claim for PPI is ready and could I get in touch with them

Me too. Keep thinking I should text them back them telling them just to send their cheque as they claim to have already have the money!
Wink
dcash29 9 2.0k England
11 Oct 2012 9:42PM
They have agreed to reimburse the money they took

You can also contact phonepayplus 0800 500 212 to report such things.
Britman 8 1.7k England
11 Oct 2012 9:55PM

Quote:Lots of these about, you can report them to your mobile provider by forwarding them to 7726, they can then block them.

I believe for Vodafone the number is 87726.

7726 of course spells spam, so is easy to remember.

Yep Vodafones is 87726 VSPAM
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 12:26AM

Quote:They have agreed to reimburse the money they took
You can also contact phonepayplus 0800 500 212 to report such things.

Be thankful you were not involved here!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19908095

A woman in south-west France, who received a telephone bill of nearly 12 quadrillion euros, has had the real amount she owed waived - after the company admitted its mistake.

Solenne San Jose, from Pessac outside Bordeaux, said she received a huge shock when she opened the bill for 11,721,000,000,000,000 euros (9.4qn).

This is nearly 6,000 times France's annual economic output.

She had requested her account be closed after losing her job last month.

The former teaching assistant said she "almost had a heart attack. There were so many zeroes I couldn't even work out how much it was".

The phone company, Bouygues Telecom, initially told her there was nothing they could do to amend the computer-generated statement and later offered to set up instalments to pay off the bill.

In the end, the company admitted the bill should have been for 117.21 euros only, and eventually waived it altogether.

It has also apologised for the gaffe, which it says was down to a printing error and a subsequent misunderstanding between the client and staff at their call centre.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
12 Oct 2012 10:30AM
Probably an Indian call centre.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.