Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

mobile scam

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dcash29
    dcash29  81904 forum posts England
    11 Oct 2012 - 7:40 PM

Recently ive been receiving texts informing on tips for my smartphone

text number is 60053

if you get it text back... stop all

Ive been intouch with the firm and have been unsubscribed, something i didnt subscribe to in the first place

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Oct 2012 - 7:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 7:47 PM

Lots of these about, you can report them to your mobile provider by forwarding them to 7726, they can then block them. If you have persistent spam texts, you can report these to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). I've been having daily texts from some spurious company & they have now stopped. The advice from the ICO is not to text stop if you do not know it is a proper company as you are just confirming your line is live.

franken
    franken e2 Member 113103 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 7:47 PM

I keep getting one informing me that my claim for PPI is ready and could I get in touch with them? Not made a claim and I suspect that if I replied I'd get nothing but spam.

Sabreur
    Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
    11 Oct 2012 - 7:53 PM

Quote: Lots of these about, you can report them to your mobile provider by forwarding them to 7726, they can then block them.

I believe for Vodafone the number is 87726.

7726 of course spells spam, so is easy to remember.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 7:54 PM

It's well worth forwarding them as it is stopping them.

mikehit
    mikehit  56312 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 8:21 PM

Be careful with them - there are some of these sites where you are billed about 2 per text simply for receiving them (the sender gets a fair amount of that). I got hit by this and was told by the girl in the Vodafone shop that they know about this but Vodafone do nothing about it.

martinl
    martinl e2 Member 10249 forum postsmartinl vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 8:28 PM

Quote: I keep getting one informing me that my claim for PPI is ready and could I get in touch with them

Me too. Keep thinking I should text them back them telling them just to send their cheque as they claim to have already have the money!
    Wink

dcash29
    dcash29  81904 forum posts England
    11 Oct 2012 - 9:42 PM

They have agreed to reimburse the money they took

You can also contact phonepayplus 0800 500 212 to report such things.

Britman
    Britman  81669 forum posts England
    11 Oct 2012 - 9:55 PM

Quote: Lots of these about, you can report them to your mobile provider by forwarding them to 7726, they can then block them.

I believe for Vodafone the number is 87726.

7726 of course spells spam, so is easy to remember.

Yep Vodafones is 87726 VSPAM

mikehit
    mikehit  56312 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2012 - 12:26 AM

Quote: They have agreed to reimburse the money they took
    You can also contact phonepayplus 0800 500 212 to report such things.

Be thankful you were not involved here!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19908095

A woman in south-west France, who received a telephone bill of nearly 12 quadrillion euros, has had the real amount she owed waived - after the company admitted its mistake.

Solenne San Jose, from Pessac outside Bordeaux, said she received a huge shock when she opened the bill for 11,721,000,000,000,000 euros (9.4qn).

This is nearly 6,000 times France's annual economic output.

She had requested her account be closed after losing her job last month.

The former teaching assistant said she "almost had a heart attack. There were so many zeroes I couldn't even work out how much it was".

The phone company, Bouygues Telecom, initially told her there was nothing they could do to amend the computer-generated statement and later offered to set up instalments to pay off the bill.

In the end, the company admitted the bill should have been for 117.21 euros only, and eventually waived it altogether.

It has also apologised for the gaffe, which it says was down to a printing error and a subsequent misunderstanding between the client and staff at their call centre.

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 73302 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2012 - 10:30 AM

Probably an Indian call centre.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.