Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Models & Lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jaspernina
    27 Jul 2007 - 11:14 AM

Hi All

As you can see by my PF, flowers are my main subject, however wanted to get in to portrait photograhy but wasn't able to find any willing models, whenever i pointed a camera at my mates they ran, as i would Wink. My god son is in college and i had a visit from him and three of his girlfriends who would love their photo taken.

I have a D200 and a Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G AF-S IF ED DX lense, which should be ok & a SB-800 flash. As I'm just beginning in the subject do i really have to buy a studio kit or are there ways around this? Should i have the models to sign some sort of Disclainer, they are 17 & 18 years old. It is only head shots that i am interested in at the moment, espeically eye shots. Do you know of good books to point me in the wright direction.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Stephen

Last Modified By jaspernina at 27 Jul 2007 - 11:16 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Jul 2007 - 11:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

peter_davey
    27 Jul 2007 - 12:07 PM

You don't need to use expensive studio kit, your flash gun a difuser and a reflector will do to get started with.

Release forms are a good idea - but if you're not selling the images and they are only for personal use you should be ok.

The best thing to do to develop further would be to use an experienced model - else it's the blind leading the blind - I learnt this a while back.

They can range from Free ( TFP) Time for prints ro expensive 50 - 100 per hour - just check out any of the modeling web sites.

HTH

Pete

elowes
    elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Jul 2007 - 1:25 PM

I bought some very cheap builders lights on stands. I use the stands, with some duc tape and some hessian dust sheet or a bed sheet as a back drop. More tape, a tripod and a flash brolly (with a cheap bracket which allows you to mount it on a tripod) into which I bounce a flash gun and a projection screen as a reflector. The main item is the tape!

I use family for models but I do know of photographers who have got people off the street to model just by asking. If you really want to learn about taking portraits forget the pouty glamour girls and look for 'real' people with a bit of character. Learn how to bring out that character. It is a matter of confidence in yourself and your people skills.

peter_davey
    27 Jul 2007 - 2:08 PM

Quote: forget the pouty glamour girls

Agree and there are plenty of good models that do fashion etc and not glamour that are great to work with - I don't think any in mt PF are the pouty type Smile

MeanGreeny
    27 Jul 2007 - 2:19 PM

Quote: I don't think any in my PF are the pouty type

I beg to differ........

Pouty Type Link

NickParry
    NickParry  91016 forum posts Wales79 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2007 - 4:37 PM

Hi,

I manage with a home studio, converted from a room in the house. It's not a massive sized room, but I am able to do portraits and full length work. I have 2 softboxes, reflector and a ringflash for my speedlite which is attached to a 20D.

I am learning as I am going along, never had any training. The advice is right about using natural light, as some of my better images are just using natural light.

You are more than welcome to have a look, as you live not far away.

Nick

peter_davey
    27 Jul 2007 - 7:20 PM

@ MeanGreeny

LOl

Well that's a bloke and his all mouth Smile

elowes
    27 Jul 2007 - 10:15 PM

Quote: don't think any in mt PF are the pouty type

Not pointing fingers and certainly not at the model with the big mouth!!

Edit

I have an issue with models having to be glamorous looking young females.

Last Modified By elowes at 27 Jul 2007 - 10:16 PM
    peter_davey
    27 Jul 2007 - 10:24 PM

I agree with you - Size Zero stuff is way out of order and I wish the fashion industry would grow up - ok the girls I''ve worked with are pro models and good looking but they aint size zero nor pounty glamour puss types either.

They are all nice ordinary down to earth people who are confident in front of the camera - and that's waht you need. Hence suggestiing working wih pro models - they will help you and give you confidence to shoot - just stay 100% profesional at all times - no offense intended but some chaps get carried away and forget what they are doing.

In my PF there are 2 glamour modles one is obvious the other not - the others are fashion models and members of the public - heck I'm married to one of them Smile

Last Modified By peter_davey at 27 Jul 2007 - 10:26 PM
    elowes
    28 Jul 2007 - 12:22 PM

I don't disagree with you Peter but I think there is far to much lack lustre glamour around with models who mostly look the same and are shot in the same poses with the same facial expressions. Fine if that is what the photographer wants but not for me.

Good portrait photography is about capturing the person and often for me it has been luck rather than judgement. I have learned that to do so you need to be able to relate to the subject and gain their trust.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.