Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Monday Night Challenge - Date/Duration

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95956 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 9:32 PM

Right MNC-ers - our Monday Night Challenge Group is very quiet of late - just three of us entering this week so maybe it's time to rethink it?

Possible solutions might be?

a) Change the day of the week - is there a day that is better for people ie. no camera club/gym/whatever?
b) Change the duration of the challenge - instead of one hour make it 24 hours?
c) Change the time of the challenge - although any later would not be a great option for me so if we did change the time I'd probably not be as keen to join in.

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Oct 2012 - 9:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JawDborn
JawDborn e2 Member 2708 forum postsJawDborn vcard England
10 Oct 2012 - 9:42 PM

Hi again, Alison.

I've been following the activities of the MNC with much interest since I joined EPZ, but couldn't join in the fun because of our 8 o'clockish evening meal. Perhaps University Challenge is at present causing a lull.

Regarding the duration, perhaps 2 hours would give more flexibility, but the longer duration might make things less exciting.

Hope you get a solution: I enjoy looking at the amazingly creative images!

Jack

Jestertheclown
10 Oct 2012 - 9:52 PM

Option 'B' sounds like the best one to me.
Not only does that suit me but the flexibility of having a whole day could well open it up to others who can't make it at 8.00pm.
Option 'A', changing the day but retaining the time might help some people but is just as likely to alienate others.
Option 'C' is probably the least attractive.
I'm not sure that many people would want to start hunting around for subjects and setting things up any later than 8.00pm. and making it earlier probably won't work because most of us are too busy with dinner, dog walking, hitting the children, that sort of thing.

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 10 Oct 2012 - 9:52 PM
cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95956 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 10:05 PM

Thanks guys - I must say option B is my preferred one if a change of day doesn't suit. I'd rather not let the challenge go too late in the evening as quite frankly I like to wind down at around 9pm plus I've a daily appointment at 9pm with the webcam at the stables watching my folks feeding/watering the pony each night which can take 15 minutes or half an hour Smile

min
min  3519 forum posts England
10 Oct 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hi Alison

option A monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday is good for me.
option B that could work
option C any earlier and some people may not be home from work, any later and some people may find that a bit too late.

hopefully we will find a solution Grin

maggie

cattyal
10 Oct 2012 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for your input Maggie - hopefully we'll get some more responses over the next few days and by Monday have a plan. Since I'll be hosting next week I'll make sure a decision is made by then and we can give it a trial run Smile

I quite like the idea of option B - it gives people more opportunity to enter, enables a wider variety of challenges to be set but still has a fairly tight time limit - we'll see......

min
min  3519 forum posts England
10 Oct 2012 - 10:28 PM

i agree Alison Grin

jacks_19
jacks_19  1 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hi All

I've only done two challenges so far which I really enjoyed. I did find the time slot really difficult to accommodate hence why I didn't enter this week. I think its a really good idea to make the time more flexible... say 24hrs which would:

A - give people the opportunity to be more creative
B - attract new contributors

Let's not lose the challenge as it's good fun. Grin

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
10 Oct 2012 - 11:50 PM

For me...
A) the day is fine - a bit more memorable because it's the "first day of the week" - (something to anticipate after that first day back at work)...

B) The initial attraction is the urgency to think, create and present within one hour...it'd be a shame to lose that frenetic pressure - that's what made it a bit special.. But I'll admit, if inspiration doesn't come pretty immediately, I tend to give up..(okay, it's probably an age thing.... Sad ) but I'm nearly always watching...SO...maybe 24 hours could be a "revitaliser" but no longer than that...

C) the time is about right really, a balance between getting home from t'mill, and dragging on a bit late..(finished and judged at 9.00 p.m. On the Tuesday..? )

Overall then, (b) 24 hours, (well..25 actually..) still known as "Monday night challenge" (cos that's when it starts) but no longer..

My two penn'rth. (that doesn't look right....) anyways..!

Kevin.

jacks_19
jacks_19  1 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 - 11:56 PM

But I can't commit to the time of 8pm on Monday night and I'm sure I am not the only one - despite wanting to contribute.

RichardN00
RichardN00 e2 Member 8417 forum postsRichardN00 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 7:55 AM

A few ideas from me.

A dual challenge, first photo to be uploaded within the hour, second photo within 24 hours, that way we wouldnít lose the spontaneity of the competition but would allow more time for those who like to ponder over things a bit longer (I always seem to think of something at 9:05). Either judge both photos singly or have an aggregate score

Run the competition twice a week possibly Monday and Friday and see which night is most popular.

Give the competition an autumn break of say a month and see who misses it (I know I would, even if I donít compete I like to watch)

The only issue I can see with just having a 24 hour competition is that it would favour the retired or those on leave who could spend longer putting something together than us poor wage slaves.

I like the competition as it is at the moment.

The only reason Iíve not competed recently is Iíve either been working on Monday evenings or been just too plain knackered after the weekend Smile

Jestertheclown
11 Oct 2012 - 8:07 AM

The problem with the 'two photo' idea is that it penalises those that can't manage the hour as it is, in much the same way as your suggestion that one photo in twenty four hours favours others.
Therefore an aggregate score would be no use because many of us would only be able to take part in the second part of it.
If you're going to judge the photos individually, you might as well leave the existing MNC as it is and begin a new twenty four hour challenge and I rather doubt that many people would bother to partake in both.
It needs to be one thing or the other.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53512 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 8:47 AM

24 hours would mean that the host for that week would need to be available on Monday to set the challenge and Tuesday to judge and choose the host for the following week. Two days in a row could be hard for some?
I've missed a lot of mnc's recently and still only expect only sporadic attendance in the next month or so.
I think any time between 7 and 10 is fine. If the comp was too much different it may be better to start a different one rather than move the current one? Then once the autumn rush slows it could naturally pick up again. Did it not slow down this time last year?

cattyal
11 Oct 2012 - 9:14 AM

Well as Group Leader Stu then I guess you're the one to decide ultimately.

I already do two weekly challenges plus the MNC so wouldn't want to add any more - three is enough for me Smile

We need new blood - we've got an excellent regular contingent but could do with more.

I can barely remember last week let alone last autumn so have not a clue when it slows down Smile

Jestertheclown
11 Oct 2012 - 9:16 AM

Quote: I can barely remember last week let alone last autumn

. . . comes to us all.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.