Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Monday Night Challenge - Date/Duration

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 9:22 AM

Quote: I can barely remember last week let alone last autumn
. . . comes to us all.

and it's not necessarily a bad thing Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Oct 2012 - 9:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jacks_19
jacks_19  1 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 - 9:36 AM

Quote: I already do two weekly challenges plus the MNC

Cattyal.... what challenges are those?

Stuart463
Stuart463 e2 Member 6558 forum postsStuart463 vcard United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 - 9:42 AM

I think Kevin has hit the nail on the head - "The initial attraction is the urgency to think, create and present within one hour...it'd be a shame to lose that frenetic pressure - that's what made it a bit special". Extending the time would, in my opinion, detract from the main challenge objective.

I have been a keen follower and participant in this challenge since joining the site over five years ago. In that time however there have been significant changes to the site, the introduction of groups that cover all aspects of photography (and some that don't touch on photography at all) means members have a wide range of subjects that attract their attention. I for one don't have time to participate in all the areas that attract my interest and have to be selective.

I would not like the format of the Monday Night Challenge (was it not once called the One Hour Challenge) to change. Day of the week isn't really an issue to me but given a choice I would opt to stick with Monday.

Stuart

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 9:49 AM

Quote: I already do two weekly challenges plus the MNC

Cattyal.... what challenges are those?

The Weekly Macro Challenge and the |Weekly Black & White Challenge.

jacks_19
jacks_19  1 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 - 9:53 AM

thanks

JJGEE
JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 9:56 AM

Quote: Monday Night Challenge Group is very quiet of late

I get the feeling that this is happening to many Groups, I suppose people just have other commitments, lose enthusiasm etc.

When I joined there was a feature called " Fun Friday ", which took place on a Friday ! !
But that has not been around much recently, if at all.

Jestertheclown
11 Oct 2012 - 10:23 AM

You're right Jeff.
Most of the groups all seem to go through a similar lifecycle, whereupon they thrive(ish) to begin with then wither and ultimately die as people lose interest.
I think that one or two have survived but there are dozens that didn't. Have a look at the list of groups that exist. I'll wager that you've never heard of most of them, which is a shame because, just sometimes, they can be quite useful.
I remember 'Fun Friday.' It didn't last long, probably for much the same reason that the groups and other things on here don't last long.
Lack of support.

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81102 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 8:28 PM

Quote: then wither and ultimately die as people lose interest.

That's mainly the responsibility of the group creator Bren. If they start a group and don't actively promote it on the main forums every so often, then how on earth would a newb know that it existed ?

Al,

I'd change the visibility back to how it was.

Main forum post , lots of banter and a link to the hosts p.f with the fun mnc image allowing mods. Used to be loads more fun when it wasn't "underground"

Or , have a think about running it like the daily theme, where you post an image directly to the topic thread.

x

Jestertheclown
11 Oct 2012 - 8:50 PM

Quote: That's mainly the responsibility of the group creator Bren. If they start a group and don't actively promote it on the main forums every so often, then how on earth would a newb know that it existed ?

True enough Dave.

I'm the 'leader,' for want of a better word, of two of the B/W groups which are doing OK, I guess but having the time to stay active within them is tricky and that lack of time could well be the downfall of many of the groups that fall by the wayside.

I hadn't thought of reverting the MNC to its old format, out in the open again, as it were. I reckon that that might work.
I also hadn't thought of using the forum as a showcase for it either. That also sounds like a good idea.

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 11 Oct 2012 - 8:52 PM
cattyal
11 Oct 2012 - 9:15 PM

Right - a quick reply - just in the middle of something.

I'll try running it in the forum thread next week - people can post their images in the thread so it's constantly being bumped. We'll see how that does and take it from there?

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81102 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 9:25 PM

Just alternative ideas Bren.

I wasn't criticising your stewardship of the groups you set up. Tbh , I didn't know they existed.

But

You (and some of the other group creators) do need to get your arse in gear and promote their existence on the main forums, even if you have limited time to manage the content. If apathy follows, then room locked.

The mnc doesn't really fall into the realm of "special interest" , so I still reckon out in the opens best as the bishop said to the actress .

Anyway , Its Alisons thread and she probably out the back arranging bones or summat Smile

edit : oops hahah

Last Modified By Eviscera at 11 Oct 2012 - 9:26 PM
Jestertheclown
11 Oct 2012 - 9:30 PM

Quote: I wasn't criticising your stewardship of the groups you set up.

I meant no implication that you were Dave.

In actual fact, I inherited them when someone else wanted to step down.

min
min  3519 forum posts England
11 Oct 2012 - 9:57 PM

nice one Alison hopefully that will work Grin

Lynx08
Lynx08 e2 Member 61232 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
14 Oct 2012 - 9:22 PM

Good, I think I would prefer to keep the 1 hour challenge. As the others say, it's the pressure of the hour that adds to the fun.

Cheers and see you tomorrow night.
Lyn

cattyal
14 Oct 2012 - 9:34 PM

I guess I'd better think of a challenge! Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.