Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Monitor Calibration Device

1 Jan 2013 12:49PM
Happy New Year Guys,
I am looking to buy a monitor calibration device and have found (via Amazon) the Spyder4Pro by Colourvison.
I would be happy to hear from anyone has any experience of this product good or bad?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy 7 2.2k United Kingdom
1 Jan 2013 12:59PM
Don't know that one but I have been very pleased with the results from my x-rite Colormunki Display.
1 Jan 2013 1:00PM
I have the version 3 and cant complain great device simply to work and good support.
Works fine on windows 8 also.
1 Jan 2013 2:24PM
I have Spyder4elite And it is great tool.
User_Removed 11 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Jan 2013 3:31PM
I still use my Spyder2 - and have no problems. Wink
1 Jan 2013 3:44PM
Thanks Guys, Just been into the reviews tab and found (http://www.ephotozine.com/article/spyderpro-monitor-calibrator-display-device-review-4511) it most helpful.
For £100 in Amazon I think I've made my mind up.
Cheers for your input.
MGJ 6 203 5
1 Jan 2013 3:53PM
I have a Spyder 2. Worked well , so I would bet that the 4 is very good too, in so far as it goes, and that is the problem - it doesn't do prints as well.

There is a freebie adjunct program which produces icc profiles for printers, but it doesn't analyse the print. You decide you have a colour cast, and then you decide you need less magenta or whatever. Works in the end, as long as you are good at working out what combinations of CMYK you need to add or subtract, and in what %age for a good result/correction.

The Color Munki is much better, in that it will analyse a print as well, and produce a decent and cast free ICC profile for that printer in one or perhaps 2 automated iterations. Its also a lot faster at calibrating a screen, since the software is rather better. And its more expensive.

If you can afford it, go for the Munki, . If the 4 is as far as you want to go, well then the best becomes the enemy of the good!. Its a question of what you need your kit to do at what money. Or, if you want to, get one of the online ICC people to do your printer/paper ink for you.

In the end, I bought the Munki, and am very glad i did.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
1 Jan 2013 4:26PM

Quote:I have Spyder4elite And it is great tool.

Ditto.

But if you also want to calibrate your printer to match your monitor, consider the ColorMunki.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
1 Jan 2013 6:40PM
A colorimeter like the Spyder 4 or ColorMunki Display would be fine for calibrating and profiling a screen—in fact arguably a better choice than a screen and print profiling ColorMunki spectrophotometer (ColorMunki Photo?). The former are widely acknowledged as being better at measuring shadow detail.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.