Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Monitor Calibration Device

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    EOS_Snapper
    1 Jan 2013 - 12:49 PM

Happy New Year Guys,
    I am looking to buy a monitor calibration device and have found (via Amazon) the Spyder4Pro by Colourvison.
    I would be happy to hear from anyone has any experience of this product good or bad?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jan 2013 - 12:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
    lemmy  71813 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Jan 2013 - 12:59 PM

Don't know that one but I have been very pleased with the results from my x-rite Colormunki Display.

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8973 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 1:00 PM

I have the version 3 and cant complain great device simply to work and good support.
    Works fine on windows 8 also.

Jat_Riski
    Jat_Riski e2 Member 664 forum postsJat_Riski vcard United Kingdom
    1 Jan 2013 - 2:24 PM

I have Spyder4elite And it is great tool.

User_Removed
    1 Jan 2013 - 3:31 PM

I still use my Spyder2 - and have no problems. Wink

EOS_Snapper
    1 Jan 2013 - 3:44 PM

Thanks Guys, Just been into the reviews tab and found (http://www.ephotozine.com/article/spyderpro-monitor-calibrator-display-device-review-4511) it most helpful.
    For £100 in Amazon I think I've made my mind up.
    Cheers for your input.

Last Modified By EOS_Snapper at 1 Jan 2013 - 3:44 PM
    MGJ
    MGJ  6114 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 3:53 PM

I have a Spyder 2. Worked well , so I would bet that the 4 is very good too, in so far as it goes, and that is the problem - it doesn't do prints as well.

There is a freebie adjunct program which produces icc profiles for printers, but it doesn't analyse the print. You decide you have a colour cast, and then you decide you need less magenta or whatever. Works in the end, as long as you are good at working out what combinations of CMYK you need to add or subtract, and in what %age for a good result/correction.

The Color Munki is much better, in that it will analyse a print as well, and produce a decent and cast free ICC profile for that printer in one or perhaps 2 automated iterations. Its also a lot faster at calibrating a screen, since the software is rather better. And its more expensive.

If you can afford it, go for the Munki, . If the 4 is as far as you want to go, well then the best becomes the enemy of the good!. Its a question of what you need your kit to do at what money. Or, if you want to, get one of the online ICC people to do your printer/paper ink for you.

In the end, I bought the Munki, and am very glad i did.

User_Removed
    1 Jan 2013 - 4:26 PM

Quote: I have Spyder4elite And it is great tool.

Ditto.

But if you also want to calibrate your printer to match your monitor, consider the ColorMunki.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 6:40 PM

A colorimeter like the Spyder 4 or ColorMunki Display would be fine for calibrating and profiling a screen—in fact arguably a better choice than a screen and print profiling ColorMunki spectrophotometer (ColorMunki Photo?). The former are widely acknowledged as being better at measuring shadow detail.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.