Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Monitor protection for D7100

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kendor
    kendor  4 England
    22 Aug 2013 - 11:04 AM

I waas lucky enough to get a D7100 recently. I noticed it had no external monitor protection cover so contacted Nikon support, who replied very promptly as follows: "An external monitor cover is not available for the D7100 from Nikon because a scratch- and shock-resistant, reinforced glass is employed for the monitor surface. However, should you like to use extra protection, I'm quite sure there are third party companies making protective film for the screen. As we do not test our products with third party accessories." This gives me some reassurance but I wondered is it worth using a protective film.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Aug 2013 - 11:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MichaelMelb_AU
    22 Aug 2013 - 11:13 AM

It is up to you really. Screens are real tough these days - but some protective film makes life safer and easier if you need to clean the screen from a smudge left by fingers or nose contact. Without much ado I just use my t-shirt Smile

thewilliam
    22 Aug 2013 - 11:25 AM

Screens are considerably tougher than they used to be. One used camera came with a Giottos cover that had been glued in place. I've no idea whether this is easily reversible.

icphoto
    icphoto  12565 forum posts England
    22 Aug 2013 - 12:09 PM

I have tried protective film in the past but I did not like it, check out Speedgraphic to see what they have to offer in the way of protective covers. Pity Nikon have ceased to supply a plastic cover, they kept the smudges off if nothing else.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96106 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2013 - 12:50 PM

Quote: I wondered is it worth using a protective film.

From personal experience I think it is worth it, but the cover not a film.

I use the Giottos brand on my Sony Alpha 900 and twice they have been cracked by being banged against an object.

They just peeled off to reveal an undamaged original screen.

They clean well but can easily be replaced if required.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 22 Aug 2013 - 12:51 PM
    Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122074 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2013 - 1:23 PM

I second the Giottos route. I have had 3 and they are excellent if not cheap.

Andy_Cundell
    22 Aug 2013 - 4:11 PM

The glass is very tough on the back, i was told it was gorilla glass. If you find a decent cover, please let us know!!

kendor
    kendor  4 England
    23 Aug 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the comments I'm looking into the Giottos and Speedgraphic. I will post if I find a good one

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122074 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Aug 2013 - 12:06 PM

If you can't find a Giottos Aegis glass protector specifically for the D7100, I think you will find the one they do for the D90/D80 will fit as well. They seem to be a bit thin on the ground but it's worth the search.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62361 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    23 Aug 2013 - 4:44 PM

Quote: "An external monitor cover is not available for the D7100 from Nikon because a scratch- and shock-resistant, reinforced glass is employed for the monitor surface. However, should you like to use extra protection, I'm quite sure there are third party companies making protective film for the screen.

Nikon will sell you a protective "cover" for the D7100 Smile
    You get 2 covers for the rear monitor and 2 covers for the top plate LED delivered from Germany for £12.99.
    http://store.nikon.co.uk/nikon-merchandise-nikon-original-goods/lcd-protective-f...
    I have them on my D7100 and D800.
    They provide what I consider reasonable protection as there is no provision for a clip on plastic cover.
    The more expensive Giotto glass (assuming there is one for a D7100) seemed rather fragile on my D7000.

derekd
    derekd  8
    29 Sep 2013 - 10:21 AM

Try Amazon for cover I got one for my D5100 and it was only a couple of pounds

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.