Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Monitors

Nigeve1 e2
1 920 95 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2013 9:50PM
I am just looking for some recommendations for a new monitor to use for processing with Photoshop CS6, my current monitor is old and not of satisfactory quality. I have had a Dell U2412M recommended already, any comments would be appreciated. I would prefer to spend

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
3 Aug 2013 10:11PM
There have been a lot of threads on this topic recently and the Dell models seem to get well recommended.

Personally, I use a pair of 27" Dell monitors as I like to have my Lightroom and Photoshop workspaces spread over both, allowing me to always have an image at maximum size on one of them. You might find that if you buy a Dell, you can still use your current monitor to hold all the controls, tools and palettes while having the image you are processing on the Dell.
SteveHunter e2
6 386 1 England
4 Aug 2013 8:56AM
I hope the Dell ones are good, I have literally just before seeing this thread ordered a U2412M from Amazon after doing endless research.
danbrann e2
10 497 15
4 Aug 2013 10:06AM
Nigel I have A HANNS.G It seems Ok. Have a look at it in motion in operation if you like.
Danny
LiamKav e2
1 15 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2013 10:53PM
A small point, but how are you connecting the monitor? VGA, DVI, Display Port?
Nigeve1 e2
1 920 95 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2013 6:27AM
Thanks for all the comments so far.
I am connecting with DVI, I also use my laptop sometimes which is HDMI but I have a cable which converts from HDMI to DVI.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
6 Aug 2013 8:27AM
The Dell U2412M is cheap largely because it uses a 6-bit panel + dithering to achieve its 16.7m colours. Not so long ago that was a reason to upgrade to something else, but LG seem to have improved the technology to such a degree that it's no longer an issue. The e-IPS panel it uses has slightly less impressive viewing angles than other IPS panels I think, but still a vast improvement over a TN panel display. It has to be well worth upgrading to the Dell for anyone looking to replace a 'TN monitor' on a budget, though you might treat Dell's copywriting with some skepticism - this is not a wide gamut monitor as they claim on their website.
patters e2
10 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2013 10:54PM
So is the Dell U2713H the ultimate display for fiddling with photos, spec looks impressive!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Aug 2013 12:45AM
My latest Dell monitor was order by mistake with a lower spec than the monitor i was suposed to have ordered.

But it was a whole lot cheaper and a whole lot better than I had expected so kept it, I think these can be picked up for less than 200 quid now.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1275291737
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
7 Aug 2013 12:57AM

Quote:So is the Dell U2713H the ultimate display for fiddling with photos, spec looks impressive!

It might be the ultimate Dell display, though it's the middle of three models from Dell with hardware calibration. The others are the 24-inch U2413 and 30-inch U3014, both of which have a 16:10 aspect ratio against the narrower 16:9 of the U2713H. Hardware calibration is probably unique in this mid-price range, since NEC have discontinued the P221W. Only downside with the Dells is that you're forced to buy the X-Rite i1 Display Pro if you want to unlock hardware calibration, and even then you're chained to the proprietary Dell/X-Rite software.

I actually own the U2413, and was going to ignore the fancy calibration for a while until I realised my Spyder was struggling to cope with the new display.

The other specs for these monitors are mostly honest, though Dell unsurprisingly neglect to state that they are all 8-bit monitors with dithering. The inference is always that they are 10-bit. They also persist in referencing the CIE 1976 colour space, presumably for the simple reason that it allows them to write bigger arbitrary numbers than other manufacturers when talking about gamut.
I have Photoshop / Lightroom CC running smoothly on my Macbook Air, but as you might expect need a bigger monitor to work off.
I cannot justify hard earned dosh on an Apple monitor, so any suggestions, recommendations in other brands up to 200
Thanks
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
7 Apr 2014 8:38AM

Quote:so any suggestions, recommendations in other brands up to 200

If you're economising it's probably worth looking at LG monitors, since LG manufacture a large proportion of the world's monitor panels and tend to be a little cheaper. Choose a monitor with an IPS panel, which at the budget end of the market is likely to be an e-IPS, more accurately. This will give you markedly better viewing angles than a TN panel monitor, which is still very common.

The LG 27EA33V seems to be one possibility, though I can't personally vouch for it.
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
7 Apr 2014 9:45AM

Quote:STEVEHUNTER
I hope the Dell ones are good, I have literally just before seeing this thread ordered a U2412M from Amazon after doing endless research.

I found the monitor way to bright even after calibration. Try adjusting the Brightness to 10 and Contrast to 55

If i purchase again it will be an NEC
mlewis e2
10 1.5k United Kingdom
7 Apr 2014 3:45PM

Quote:STEVEHUNTER

I found the monitor way to bright even after calibration. Try adjusting the Brightness to 10 and Contrast to 55

If i purchase again it will be an NEC

Calibration won't set the brightness of a monitor. The user should be setting the required brightness and then running the calibration.
Thanks for that Glennh, I will have a look.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.