Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mono prints

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
chavender
chavender e2 Member 3210 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 11:23 AM

I realise that this is a tricky issue but does anyone have any ideas regarding obtaining neutral mono prints with my Canon ip4700 (Canon inks and paper) through Lightroom 4?

Thanks

Bill

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Aug 2012 - 11:23 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8973 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 11:28 AM

Bill if you are getting colour casts in the prints, try getting a custom profile made for both the ink and paper. Remember also that not all papers will give a neutral tone, so have a search online for paper that is.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 15 Aug 2012 - 11:34 AM
Railcam
Railcam  7466 forum posts Scotland
15 Aug 2012 - 11:41 AM

I agree with Gareth, a profile is the answer.

I have a Pixma 4000 which gave colour casts on B&W prints. They were not consistent either, sometimes pinkish, sometimes turquoise.

Earlier in the year I bought the ColorMunki Photo and calibrated my monitor and produced a print profile for the Pixma. My B&W prints from Lightroom 4.1 and the Pixma are now cast free. Of course colour prints match the monitor as well.

Granted the ColorMunki was expensive but it is now proving its worth.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122229 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 11:53 AM

I don't think you will truly get rid of a colour cast unless you have a printer which caters for mono, i.e. having several black and shades of gray cartridges. I have a Pixma 9000 Pro and I still get casts from it which is why I will often tone my prints. My monitor is calibrated and I have profiles for the Fibaprint paper I use.

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 12:23 PM

you will be able to get proper blacks if you use prorietory inks, print with printer drivers off and allow photohop to choose colours. then have a custom profile made to suit your paper / ink on your set up, not a downloaded one.

read the information on S.C.S web site a sheffield based colour management system, tells you the lot.

i confirm you do not need specific mono ink set ups to get good prints, its all about understanding the colour management sytem - which can be a nightmare - and there are no shortcuts etc.

custom profiles, preferably done in your home are the best and it willusually cost around 100 for screen calibration and profile installed if you find the right person. sounds a lot but saved me 10 x that amount over the years, colours to screen and solid blacks every time.

Phil

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3210 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thanks all.
Interesting info.
I have my screen calibrated with a Spyder 3.
Seems the next step would be a custom printer profile.
I will check out the ColorMunki as that would enable me to profile my collection of papers. Probably cheaper too in the long run.

Thanks again

Bill

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122229 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 1:21 PM

I had profiles made for my other printer (Canon ip4600) which worked fine for colour but not for black and white. I still got a slight cast. Perhaps SCS Imaging are a more capable company but I'm loath to fork out any more dosh to find out Smile

justin c
justin c  104518 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 3:31 PM

Check out Permajet's range of papers. They have many suited to black and white printing and they also offer free custom icc profiles when using any of their papers.

chavender
15 Aug 2012 - 4:26 PM

Thanks Justin,

Just checked their website and it seems they offer custom icc profiles for any paper/ink/printer combination at a very reasonable cost.

Might be worth a try.

Bill

justin c
15 Aug 2012 - 4:51 PM

Quote: paper/ink/printer combination at a very reasonable cost

The profiles are actually free when using any Permajet paper, the cost doesn't get much more reasonable than that Smile The profiles are very good indeed and will in no way be inferior to companies offering the same service, but charging a substantial fee. Just thought I'd mention that as cheap/free rarely equates to good, but not in this case.

Gaucho
15 Aug 2012 - 5:04 PM

Thank you Justin. Certainly worth a try to see if the colour cast problem can be solved.

Last Modified By Gaucho at 15 Aug 2012 - 5:05 PM
chavender
15 Aug 2012 - 6:08 PM

Hi Justin

The free profiling service looks to be a great deal.
As I have at the moment a lot of various inkjet papers I thought that if I were to take advantage of the paid service it would be a cost effective way forward (would be a shame to waste some rather good papers).

Bill

justin c
15 Aug 2012 - 6:48 PM

Absolutely. One of the services they offer means that you get 10 custom profiles, for any paper make/type for 5.50 each, which is a superb price and the difference a custom profile makes is quite considerable, not just in colour accuracy and consistency, but also in allowing you to get the most detail from the shadow and highlight areas.

User_Removed
17 Aug 2012 - 11:09 AM

With the use of custom profiles, it might be possible to get cast-free mono prints with your printer provided that absolutely everything is spot-on. By everything I mean monitor calibration, ambient lighting when using the monitor, fresh proprietary inks, properly maintained printer, paper at optimum temperature, etc., etc. and a few more etceteras.

What I am saying is that, even with the proper ICC profile for your printer model, inks and paper, getting true mono from any printer that used coloured inks to produce mono prints is fraught with difficulties and potential pitfalls.

If you use a printer which has been designed and properly set up for mono, then that is a different story.

I use an Epson R3000 (but there are others from both Epson and different makers) that uses three "shades of black" cartridges - Photo Black, Light Black and Light Light Black to produce mono prints without involving the colour inks at all. With that, I actually find it better to avoid using any custom ICC profiles and simply, in Lightroom, let the printer manage the process using Epson's own "Advanced B&W" option.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 17 Aug 2012 - 11:10 AM
chavender
21 Aug 2012 - 3:29 PM

Thanks all for your help.

I have now received and installed some custom printer profiles.
The difference is amazing, not completely neutral but much better than before.
Colour prints are also much better.
I suspect that now its down to paper choice and there are some recommendations in the Mono enthusiasts group forums which I may investigate.

Bill

Last Modified By chavender at 21 Aug 2012 - 3:41 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.