Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Monopods

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

BillyGoatGruff
BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hi peeps.

What are your thoughts regarding monopods and their use?
What would you recommend as a good, useable, steady monopod?
Would you recommend a head or no head?
If yes to a head, then what type of head?
Any recommendations/thoughts or donations of free monopods and/or heads are more than welcome! Smile

Thanks for any input.
Bill

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jul 2011 - 12:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jat_Riski
Jat_Riski e2 Member 665 forum postsJat_Riski vcard United Kingdom
26 Jul 2011 - 12:41 PM

Hi Bill, I got Manfrotto 685B+322RC2 head 2-3 yrs ago from Warehouse Express, work fine for me.
Regards_Preet.

Andy_Cundell
26 Jul 2011 - 12:45 PM

Someone is selling a cracking Manfrotto monopod in the classified section! I went for one with a head, it gives you that little bit more movement of the camera.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93501 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
26 Jul 2011 - 12:54 PM

Quote: 685B+322RC2 head

Hi....I have that combination....virtually unused and looking to sell.
.....Mike

BillyGoatGruff
BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2011 - 1:03 PM

Interesting!

Just had a look at the Manfrotto site, so a couple of quick qestions:
Will it lock at any height?
Is the locking mechanism as good as they say it is? And as quick?

BubbaG2000
26 Jul 2011 - 1:34 PM

My Manfrotto monopod locks at any height. I use mine with a remote flash head on top!

JohnParminter
26 Jul 2011 - 4:50 PM

Quote: Hi peeps.

What are your thoughts regarding monopods and their use?

Thanks for any input.
Bill

They are a flawed design in my opinion, inherently unstable with only one leg, when I go to root around in my bag for a filter then turn around only to keep having to pick up my camera and start all over again! Camera and lens replacements are costing me a fortune, fortunately I have heard that a three legged design is on the market and I may give these a try hoping that they will cure the stability problem.

... I have a manfrotto one I won in some competition, yours if you want to collect it Billy.

JP

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73882 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2011 - 5:15 PM

Monopods are great when a tripod is impractical. As an aside, with a long lens and good technique they are as stable if not more so than a tripod, to do with how you support the camera and the leg is directly in line with the centre of gravity Wink

Not that good for landscapes tho, so on that I would agree with JP.

I use mine quite a bit on long lens work.

JohnParminter
26 Jul 2011 - 5:44 PM

Quote: Monopods are great when a tripod is impractical.

...but when a tripod is impractical then the shot isn't worth taking Nick, no?.....

..or am I missing out on a whole world of photographic opportunities I wonder?

Smile

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73882 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2011 - 5:57 PM

There were some candid portraits I have from Grosmont for example, where I would have struggled with the tripod, altering one leg is far quicker than three. I agree with you on landscapes, I wouldn't venture out without the tripod - just altering filters would be a nightmare. I could see similar benefits with sports photography, and some wildlife.

Don't get me wrong I use the tripod 85% of the time, the rest is handheld, or with the monopod. That said I would guess about a quarter of my images with awards are either handheld or with a monopod (can't be bothered to check accurately).

Last Modified By Nick_w at 26 Jul 2011 - 6:00 PM
BillyGoatGruff
26 Jul 2011 - 8:06 PM

A lot of sports photographers seems to be terribly comfortable with them....or is that just a fashion statement? Wink

Good point, John.
Although I can see a use for them; as Nick says, where a tripod is impractical.

Quote: ... I have a manfrotto one I won in some competition, yours if you want to collect it Billy.

JP

What is it? And where would I collect it from? Smile This seems to be an even better possibilty that Mike's suggestion.....

Catch up later - dinner and pub are calling to me Tongue

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2011 - 10:36 PM

Have a look at one of these Giotto P-Pod I have one and you get the best of all worlds with it. They ain't cheap mind.....

Ade

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 - 8:33 PM

one of these cost a small fortune (mine was 115 at the time!) but it is brilliant. Heavy-ish compared to my others but solid as a rock and no clips or twists, yank up, squeeze and push for down. Tried it with a ball head and found it to be a right pain, easier to just fiddle the foot to get angles. Far more convenient than a tripod ...

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2011 - 10:02 PM

+1 the above. I use mine with a Joby ballhead X, which has a pan control, and find it to be an excellent combination.

JohnParminter
28 Jul 2011 - 12:03 AM

Its a quality Manfrotto, don't know the model as I am not home right now but very chunky and sturdy with two extending legs with quick releases, I've got a Manfrotto pan and tilt head that I don't want either, you can have the lot for price of P&P if you want.

best to send me a private mail

JP

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.