Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Monopods

BillyGoatGruff e2
7 191 199 England
26 Jul 2011 12:24PM
Hi peeps.

What are your thoughts regarding monopods and their use?
What would you recommend as a good, useable, steady monopod?
Would you recommend a head or no head?
If yes to a head, then what type of head?
Any recommendations/thoughts or donations of free monopods and/or heads are more than welcome! Smile

Thanks for any input.
Bill

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

26 Jul 2011 12:41PM
Hi Bill, I got Manfrotto 685B+322RC2 head 2-3 yrs ago from Warehouse Express, work fine for me.
Regards_Preet.
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
26 Jul 2011 12:45PM
Someone is selling a cracking Manfrotto monopod in the classified section! I went for one with a head, it gives you that little bit more movement of the camera.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
26 Jul 2011 12:54PM

Quote:685B+322RC2 head

Hi....I have that combination....virtually unused and looking to sell.
.....Mike
BillyGoatGruff e2
7 191 199 England
26 Jul 2011 1:03PM
Interesting!

Just had a look at the Manfrotto site, so a couple of quick qestions:
Will it lock at any height?
Is the locking mechanism as good as they say it is? And as quick?
BubbaG2000 e2
7 767 1
26 Jul 2011 1:34PM
My Manfrotto monopod locks at any height. I use mine with a remote flash head on top!
JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
26 Jul 2011 4:50PM

Quote:Hi peeps.

What are your thoughts regarding monopods and their use?

Thanks for any input.
Bill

They are a flawed design in my opinion, inherently unstable with only one leg, when I go to root around in my bag for a filter then turn around only to keep having to pick up my camera and start all over again! Camera and lens replacements are costing me a fortune, fortunately I have heard that a three legged design is on the market and I may give these a try hoping that they will cure the stability problem.

... I have a manfrotto one I won in some competition, yours if you want to collect it Billy.

JP
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
26 Jul 2011 5:15PM
Monopods are great when a tripod is impractical. As an aside, with a long lens and good technique they are as stable if not more so than a tripod, to do with how you support the camera and the leg is directly in line with the centre of gravity Wink

Not that good for landscapes tho, so on that I would agree with JP.

I use mine quite a bit on long lens work.
JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
26 Jul 2011 5:44PM

Quote:Monopods are great when a tripod is impractical.

...but when a tripod is impractical then the shot isn't worth taking Nick, no?.....

..or am I missing out on a whole world of photographic opportunities I wonder?

Smile
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
26 Jul 2011 5:57PM
There were some candid portraits I have from Grosmont for example, where I would have struggled with the tripod, altering one leg is far quicker than three. I agree with you on landscapes, I wouldn't venture out without the tripod - just altering filters would be a nightmare. I could see similar benefits with sports photography, and some wildlife.

Don't get me wrong I use the tripod 85% of the time, the rest is handheld, or with the monopod. That said I would guess about a quarter of my images with awards are either handheld or with a monopod (can't be bothered to check accurately).
BillyGoatGruff e2
7 191 199 England
26 Jul 2011 8:06PM
A lot of sports photographers seems to be terribly comfortable with them....or is that just a fashion statement? Wink

Good point, John.
Although I can see a use for them; as Nick says, where a tripod is impractical.

Quote:... I have a manfrotto one I won in some competition, yours if you want to collect it Billy.

JP

What is it? And where would I collect it from? Smile This seems to be an even better possibilty that Mike's suggestion.....

Catch up later - dinner and pub are calling to me Tongue
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
26 Jul 2011 10:36PM
Have a look at one of these Giotto P-Pod I have one and you get the best of all worlds with it. They ain't cheap mind.....

Ade
BEVZED e2
8 1.1k United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 8:33PM
one of these cost a small fortune (mine was 115 at the time!) but it is brilliant. Heavy-ish compared to my others but solid as a rock and no clips or twists, yank up, squeeze and push for down. Tried it with a ball head and found it to be a right pain, easier to just fiddle the foot to get angles. Far more convenient than a tripod ...
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 10:02PM
+1 the above. I use mine with a Joby ballhead X, which has a pan control, and find it to be an excellent combination.
JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
28 Jul 2011 12:03AM
Its a quality Manfrotto, don't know the model as I am not home right now but very chunky and sturdy with two extending legs with quick releases, I've got a Manfrotto pan and tilt head that I don't want either, you can have the lot for price of P&P if you want.

best to send me a private mail

JP

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.