Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

More global warming spin.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2009 - 9:37 AM

Interesting article here entitled 'Major sea level rise likely as Antarctic ice melts'. But if you read the article, buried deep in the 20th paragraph it says:

Quote: Indeed, the continent's largest portion, East Antarctica, appears to have cooled, bringing a 10% increase in the sea ice extent since 1980

'
Apparently this doesn't need explanation or comment, but the predictions do.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Dec 2009 - 9:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2009 - 9:41 AM

When sea ice melts it makes no difference to sea level. Read up on Archimedes for a full explanation.

strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2009 - 9:48 AM

Yes the difference is where the ice is. Also I thought it were more correctly termed global climate change as some areas will cool and others warm as the weather patterns change.

For example some predictions show the gulf stream altering course. No impact on global temperature, but a big change in UK climate, our west coast would cool down.

Last Modified By strawman at 1 Dec 2009 - 9:48 AM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110169 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2009 - 9:51 AM

melting sea ice should actually reduce sea levels as the density of the ice is lower than that of water. (Mind you, this will probably be compensated for by the increased volume of water caused by the expansion resulting from the raised temperature Wink )

Repeat after me "We're all Doomed!

(unless we follow the Global Warming Lemmings of course)

kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2009 - 9:57 AM

Strawman, you're correct although any alteration to the gulf stream would have a global impact. It's not just one current supplying warm water to Western Europe, there's a bottom flowing cold current returning which travels most of it's way around the world. No one knows exactly what will happen. I have a cousin working in the north Atlantic collecting raw data from shell fish remains buried in sediments. So far they've made two discoveries. 1) The gulf stream has stopped before and 2) the gulf stream has slowed down by 30%.

Last Modified By kit-monster at 1 Dec 2009 - 9:58 AM
stolzy
1 Dec 2009 - 10:01 AM

Sea ice around antatarctica has increased over the past 30 years.
Global temperatures have not gone up for the past decade.

Why are these issues not discussed? Because those who believe the (recently rebranded) 'climate change' spin prefer us ot to hear it.

kit-monster
1 Dec 2009 - 10:08 AM

Quote: Sea ice around antatarctica has increased over the past 30 years.
Global temperatures have not gone up for the past decade.

Please can you link to the independently, peer reviewed scientific papers backing up your two statements?

kit-monster
1 Dec 2009 - 10:14 AM

Actually don't bother . . . you're clearly set in your ways. I happen to agree with the vast majority of scientist who believe that climate change is real and is happening.

stolzy
1 Dec 2009 - 10:25 AM

Quote: Please can you link to the independently, peer reviewed scientific papers backing up your two statements?

I don't have access to the peer-reviwed evidence (mostly it is behind paywalls) and I don't need it, nor would be able to interpret it.

Quote: Sea ice around antatarctica has increased over the past 30 years.

In the BBC article I linked to above. Widely reported in the various media today.

Quote: Global temperatures have not gone up for the past decade.

Ditto above, also try this Google search for a start - includes links to CRU, NASA, WCR etc. I don't think anyone is disputing that global temperturares have remained static in the past decade despite increases in atmospheric CO2

triumphv8
triumphv8  6450 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Dec 2009 - 10:26 AM

Wasn't the Gulf Stream slowing 30% claim withdrawn because the same team had since established normal variation of 800% ?

stolzy
1 Dec 2009 - 10:27 AM

Quote: Actually don't bother . . . you're clearly set in your ways.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. I was a very early adopter of the anthropomorphic global warming idea. There seemed to be data and rationale. I have since become much more skeptical, mainly because of the political interests which have permeated the science.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2009 - 11:42 AM

Quote: scientist who believe that climate change is real and is happening

I don't think there is a doubt about the climate changing.

Its changed before we humans ruled the planet, It will continue to change until the planet dies.

The real deal with climate change is the here and now exploitation of the phenomenon, For political and financial gain.

Its nothing more than a smoke screen, That hides the devious behaviour of those is power, Who continue to ignore the real global death sentence of over population.

kit-monster
1 Dec 2009 - 12:01 PM

Sorry, I thought your two statements were based on scientific fact rather than misquotes from a BBC journalist.

stolzy
1 Dec 2009 - 12:07 PM

None so blind as he who will not see.
If you're not aware of the global temperature hiatus for the past 10 years, then you've not been paying attention - did you look at the links to NASA, CRU, WCR I posted? All proponents of the global warming hypothesis, all confirming that the global temperature has not increased in the past 10 years.

For someone who wants links to peer-reviewed data, you really don't seem very well informed.

Here's another few hundred links saying the same thing.

Last Modified By stolzy at 1 Dec 2009 - 12:10 PM
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2009 - 12:08 PM

I am still undecided whether the climate change being experienced is man-made or a result of a natural cycle (it has happened before, when we weren't even around to blame). However, some of the things which are being blamed are areas we should be looking at anyway, if only to keep this green and pleasant Earth green and pleasant.

Like the man said, just because your behaviour can't be proved to be to blame it doesn't mean you shouldn't modify it.

Ian

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.