Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

More stolen Images any advice?

22 Jan 2006 10:02AM
I also have found some images that have been stolen, can I ask for advice please before I attempt to contact those concerned.

Stolen image links
Barn Owl 1 States (photo by Idie Ulsh) (Scroll down page for Barn Owl)

Barn Owl 2 For a good cause but without permission (Scroll down page for Barn Owl)

Our web site links to where these images have been taken from.
Barn Owl 1 3rd row left hand image

Barn Owl 2 2nd row left hand image

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Jan 2006 10:06AM
Email them...remove or pay
sorted
barnowl e2
9 697
22 Jan 2006 10:06AM
Bloody hell Vince. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw your post Smile
mipettin e2
10 884 2 Scotland
22 Jan 2006 11:24AM
Out of interest how did you find them - i.e. when you say ..have found some images that have been stolen...
22 Jan 2006 11:31AM
Juliette my partner was simply searching the image gallery on MSN & when the two above images came, on clicking on them she noticed they linked to the above sites. Barn Owl 1 states it was taken by Idie Ulsh & it wasn't. How can he say that & who the hell is. Thats what I call theft & as for the other site permission as not been granted for its use, not by me anyway.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
22 Jan 2006 11:33AM
Idie Ulsh appears to be a prolific "photographer" and butterfly expert. Wonder how much of her other work is stolen?

Why not write to her at:
P.O. Box 31317, Seattle, WA 98103
and ask Smile

or email her at wabutterflyassoc@earthlink.net

go on
22 Jan 2006 11:39AM
Hi Bri,

Thanks for the email contact of Idie Ulsh

I have now sent this email to the webmaster of the site & also I have copied it to Idle Ulsh

I will be interested in the reply I get back.

Copy of email sent

To whom concerned

Can someone please contact the Barn Owl Centre regarding an image that as been found on your web site. I cannot recall giving permission for its use & it was definately not taken by the person whos says it was taken by.

I look forward to an emailed reply or an email from the photographer, Idie Ulsh

Kind Regards

Vincent Jones
Centre Director
The Barn Owl Centre
www.barnowl.co.uk
Tel: 01452 865999
Mob: 07932 429540

Image concerned can be found using the below links

Stolen Image
Link
Barn Owl Image (photo by Idie Ulsh) (Scroll down page for Barn Owl Image). Can you tell me who Idie Ulsh is.

Our web site links to where this image has been taken from. (Copyright applies)
Link
Barn Owl Image can be found 3rd row left hand side

NB: I have recorded the web page by doing a screen shot
Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
22 Jan 2006 11:47AM
With organisations that are attempting to promote a good cause, I think a different approach.

While I do not condone the theft of these images at all - after all it would be perfectly easy to contact you to ask permission if they wanted to! - many of them will use inferior quality images of their own rather than pay money.

You might want to consider asking for a clear reference to the photographer under the photo, and a prominent link to your website if you think that the case.

Yes, I still think they should pay, and no, I don't think, when push comes to shove, they will. So better to get your centre advertised, than to lose out altogether.

I should post on here the drawing my colleague did of a water vole - because the organisation wouldn't pay for a "proper" artist to draw a picture for us they suggested she draw them herself. Now quite honestly the drawing she did put me off conserving water voles for life - I felt like putting poison down for the lot of 'em!
Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
22 Jan 2006 11:49AM
ps in my post I'm referring to the site of Barn owl 2, not 1, where someone else has attributed the photo to themselves - different ballgame...
22 Jan 2006 11:55AM
Sus, our images cost us time & money, I know its for a good cause but they could of at least had the decency to contact us and ask. This they didn't & as far as I am concerned they have been illegally used. I don't go taking images to promote our work without asking permission. A .gov organisation should know better!

Regarding advertising, the word Barn Owl or barnowl in Google's search engine puts us at the number one spot, we have enough work to last us a life time, any more work will keep me away from EPZ, I need some time to myself.
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
22 Jan 2006 11:59AM
Number One eh?

In this case it is probably a bad thing!
If they are too lazy to ask permission they probably did a Google search and stopped at the first site they found...
:o(

Give em hell!

Doug ;o)
22 Jan 2006 12:00PM
Look .... dont piss about ... if they have stolen ... the word is ... STOLEN ... your images .. screw them
Dave
22 Jan 2006 12:01PM
Hi Doug, being high in the search ratings will have its problems I know but I agree with you that asking is better than taking

Dave, OK who should I contact about this?

I go back to my original sentence

Quote:I also have found some images that have been stolen, can I ask for advice please before I attempt to contact those concerned.
22 Jan 2006 12:05PM
DO NOT PISS about with this ... send them a bill .. tell them to pay up or else
patters e2
10 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2006 12:07PM
ghostbusters?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.