Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

More Than Just a Click?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Rogerex
Rogerex  829 forum posts Australia12 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2009 - 1:09 PM

I don't often read the forums, so perhaps this idea has been mentioned before, if so, I apologise. I am not even sure if I am posting this in the right place. To increase or rejuvenate interest in this website I would like to suggest suggest that instead of just a vote for a photo, perhaps there could be a rating of 1 to 5 or 1 to 10, something similar to the star rating scheme used in some product reviews.

To make it more meaningful there might be more than one scale, such as one each for composition, image quality, and eye appeal, or whatever readers consider to be the most appropriate attributes to give ratings on. Perhaps the logistics of programming and costs would be prohibitive, but I would be interested to hear opinions.

Roger

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 2 Jul 2009 - 1:14 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jul 2009 - 1:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
2 Jul 2009 - 1:20 PM

Quote: ...or rejuvenate interest in this website...

Since when did it start 'flagging'...???

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
2 Jul 2009 - 1:30 PM

Quote: perhaps there could be a rating of 1 to 5 or 1 to 10, something similar to the star rating scheme used in some product reviews

like we used to have in the old days, you mean, before it got removed because everyone hated it due to the horrendous abuse that it received.....

Rogerex
Rogerex  829 forum posts Australia12 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2009 - 1:41 PM

MIke, according to
link
some people become jaded with the site after a while.

Big Bri, I don't know what you had previously, it must have been before my time here. If it has already been tried, and failed, forget it!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014722 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2009 - 2:43 PM

Hi Roger - the main issues are:-

everyone gives their friends full marks
some evil people give their rivals low marks

I reckon you could possibly argue that if the scores given out were visible to all, this would change that behaviour, but I don't think anyone's rushing to do that just yet.

User_Removed
2 Jul 2009 - 3:33 PM

Quote: some people become jaded with the site after a while.

More join than leave... Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2009 - 3:37 PM

Quote: More join than leave...

have you turned into another CB with numbers and statistics?
Smile

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 2 Jul 2009 - 3:37 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014462 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2009 - 5:34 PM

Please, I'm tired.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2009 - 5:40 PM

Yawn.....Wink

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2009 - 5:52 PM

Some peeps might even get negative results Smile

In a peferct world it would work but Ade spot on... it would be abused.

Last Modified By uggyy at 2 Jul 2009 - 5:53 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014722 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2009 - 6:15 PM

do you reckon showing people's scoring would stop any of the trends I mentioned? maybe the sabotage would end, but I think the "full marks no matter what you post" crew would be out in force

I used a site called Photopoints and it had a 5 point system, amazingly everyone gave 5's to everyone except me - I wasn't the most popular on there Wink

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2009 - 8:55 AM

Quote: Do you reckon showing people's scoring would stop any of the trends I mentioned? maybe the sabotage would end, but I think the "full marks no matter what you post" crew would be out in force

I used a site called Photopoints and it had a 5 point system, amazingly everyone gave 5's to everyone except me - I wasn't the most popular on there

I wonder why?

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72302 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
3 Jul 2009 - 9:10 AM

Its a good idea, however it's down to you, the users, the make it work.

We can supply these sort of features all the time but if they aren't used in a way they were intended, they just become another meaningless number.

Votes and Readers Choice Awards can be the exact same thing. But it's down to the users to make it work.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2009 - 10:02 AM

Quote: We can supply these sort of features all the time but if they aren't used in a way they were intended, they just become another meaningless number.

Quite, i don't see a fundamental difference with the click system.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2009 - 10:23 AM

There's a fundamental difference. If there was a 1-5 voting score then all the click-buddies would realise that their images really are masterpieces by scoring 5 for every image, whilst mere mortals would generally average 2 or 3. So the true class images would rise to the top Wink

Nicely stirred there, even if I do say so myself

I think the guys are looking for a way of changing this, else why was Pete asking for people that genuinely only click on images that they like and are not just posted by friends. Obviously looking at validating some new statistics Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.