Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

More than one catchlight

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Geraint
Geraint  7715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2009 - 1:08 PM

Is this generally a 'no no' when it comes to portraits? I almost exclusively use one light on the model and bring a reflector in when I think a bit of fill is needed. This produces a second catchlight in the eyes, and sometimes I think it suits the shot whereas sometimes I find it a distraction. I suppose it depends where on the eye it appears...Anyway, I know it's all subjective but I was wondering if there was an unwritten rule that says that 'more than one catchlight is a sign of a crap photographer'...Wink
Cheers,
Geraint

P.S. I find it less of a problem outside in natural light, as the catchlights are less pronounced, so a reflector acts as sort of the main catchlight with the sky/other reflections also contributing.

P.P.S I should mention that I generally use a square softbox with gaffer tape stuck on the corners to mimick an octagon shape to make the catchlights more natural...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Feb 2009 - 1:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2009 - 1:24 PM

Hmm, well I heard some camera club judges think it's the end of the world, and others that thought it wasn't a problem. Depends what you're doing with them I guess lol

Mjhearne
Mjhearne  7432 forum posts Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2009 - 3:07 PM

I dont see it as a problem, infact I like to see catchlights. I tend to always have more than one in my photos! EEEKKK! So some people class this as crap photography??

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2009 - 5:01 PM

Hoffy suggested to get rid of one of them on HERE...

it was snowing outside and the catchlights were caused by snow on the ground , then garden fence, then a bright sky. For this shot I left both in.

I suppose with studio work you have more control but using window light you could have some quite messy catch lights and would need to get rid of some.

Last Modified By CathyT at 20 Feb 2009 - 5:06 PM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2009 - 5:06 PM

Nice click fishing Cathy Wink

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2009 - 5:07 PM

Thanks.....Wink

paulashby
paulashby  5 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2009 - 1:04 PM

Catchlights make or break a portrait I think less is more in this case but looking at fashion shots you often see more than one and it tends to be done well, the one that gets on my nerve is the old light over both shoulders flash set up that you used to see in many high st photographers, this one definitely looks amateurish and please don't pay to much notice of the old camera club judges some of them really do need to look again at how studio lighting is used.

Professional
13 Mar 2009 - 5:03 PM

I had a shot of my daughter with 2 catchlights, but many comments critique that i should delete one and keep one.

videoman
videoman e2 Member 956 forum postsvideoman vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2009 - 7:43 PM

Catchlights can enhance a portrait or they can be a distraction.
If it's the former, leave them alone, if it's the latter then reduce the size and/or intensity of the offending lights, or remove the distracting lights if you have multiples, but the only judge you should believe is yourself!
HTH.

thewilliam
17 Mar 2009 - 11:36 AM

No portrait would ever leave our studio with more than one catchlight in each eye, but this is probably old fashioned thinking!

Krakman
Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
17 Mar 2009 - 12:03 PM

Multiple catchlights don't bother me.

Tonyd3
Tonyd3  101009 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2009 - 12:06 PM

It is, just look at the very best the photo and video industry has to offer, ie Ads on TV and Pop videos using the latest technology. time to move forward into the 21st century, rules are for breaking.

Would be nice to see some of your professional work in your portfolio.

Last Modified By Tonyd3 at 17 Mar 2009 - 12:08 PM
NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2009 - 1:27 PM

Quote: rules are for breaking

i would have thought only if it produces something worth looking at.

i saw a portrait last night with 5 catchlights in each eye, what the hell is that all about, there was only one sun last time i looked and i thought the whole objective was to recreate natural light and shadow.
there is something slightly unnatural about a woman with two white umbrellas in each eye in my opinion. Wink
Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 17 Mar 2009 - 1:28 PM
Krakman
Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
17 Mar 2009 - 1:31 PM

Quote: i thought the whole objective was to recreate natural light and shadow.

Is it?

Mjhearne
Mjhearne  7432 forum posts Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2009 - 1:40 PM

Quote: Quote:i thought the whole objective was to recreate natural light and shadow.Is it?

Not sure I agree either.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.