Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

More then just family photoshoots.

20 Sep 2012 5:16PM
I know the photography world is so broad these days - I have been doing family parties, portaits, engagment photos and a few other types of shoots - I would like to find out more of what is out there to try and find more work in the photography field - what other freelance work is out there??

Thanks in advance ...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2012 1:01PM
First of all, are you a qualified professional photographer or just calling yourself one? There are a lot of qualified photographers with degrees coming out of university who cannot get work. If you get any work through calling yourself a professional and you make a mess of the job, you will find yourself in trouble. People who pass themselves off as pro's who are nothing more than amateurs trying to make a living out of it are asking for trouble. From what I've seen on your website, they look like family snaps, rather than professional portrait work.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
21 Sep 2012 1:06PM
As you seem to be based in Canada, have you contacted any of these bodies? Smile
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Sep 2012 1:07PM

Quote:First of all, are you a qualified professional photographer or just calling yourself one? There are a lot of qualified photographers with degrees coming out of university who cannot get work.

Sorry, but what has qualified pro photographer got to do with degree from uni?
Britman e2
8 1.7k England
22 Sep 2012 11:48AM

Quote:First of all, are you a qualified professional photographer or just calling yourself one? There are a lot of qualified photographers with degrees coming out of university who cannot get work. If you get any work through calling yourself a professional and you make a mess of the job, you will find yourself in trouble. People who pass themselves off as pro's who are nothing more than amateurs trying to make a living out of it are asking for trouble. From what I've seen on your website, they look like family snaps, rather than professional portrait work.

WTF? Seriously are you saying that only people with a degree can call themselves a professional? I best contact people like Chase Jarvis and tell them they are conning people by calling themselves a pro.

andrewwhite It's pretty hard trying to widen your scope, what about pet portrait, product photography? Do you have a studio? If so you could offer open evening to other photographers, hire a model and let the photographer try working in a studio environment maybe even teach some basics.
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2012 12:07PM
Quote: First of all, are you a qualified professional photographer or just calling yourself one? There are a lot of qualified photographers with degrees coming out of university who cannot get work. If you get any work through calling yourself a professional and you make a mess of the job, you will find yourself in trouble. People who pass themselves off as pro's who are nothing more than amateurs trying to make a living out of it are asking for trouble. From what I've seen on your website, they look like family snaps, rather than professional portrait work.

Instead of this why not be more constructive, Someone comes on here to ask a question, you attack his photography, Can you please point out where it says the OP is a professional, From what I read he earns some money from his pictures, So why the agressive attack without knowing nothing about the OP.

This agressive attitude is exactly what is chasing new peaple away
peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2012 6:05PM
It is quite an education having a look at some aggressors' portfolios; people get aggressive in a way that they wouldn't do in real life safe behind the sanctity, security and anonymity of their monitor.
22 Sep 2012 7:25PM
Hi Guy's 'n' Gals not really one for the forums..but this one caught my eye..puertouk comments were unbelievable,i feel that there are many talented photographers who have never seen a college.you either have an eye/talent for this stuff or not.It also seems that most of the people who slate the other photographers aren't so hot themselves!!!many havin one or no images in their portfolios.
I am also amazed what gets in to print especially the local rags....my local paper printed some images of a local airshow, one that they said was a high seller in their photo's for sale section of the vulcan.well to be fair i would have deleted it before i got home let alone submitted it for print.wether or not it was taken by one of their own photographers or a freebie from a member of public surely quality comes into play at some point!!the better the image the more the sales..
I myself are thinking of a move towards a more serious level of photography/career,i have approached a few editors with the expected ..our budget does not run to freelance at the moment except for the special shot of a good story..but i am a great believer of thinking that we should all try and achieve our goals in life.I feel my images are of an aceptable level to give it a go!,i have had some great feedback recently which always helps....anyway enough of my thoughts on the matter....have a good evening everyone....

Andy
22 Sep 2012 8:29PM
Hi andrewwhite,
Working as a pro photographer is a tough way to earn a living. I have been to college and I also have one of those “A” letters from a well known Royal Society. But at the end of the day photography is one of the few professions where you can reach the top of the tree on ability alone. So don’t worry about the “letters” too much.
Photography was my chosen career, so I went through the college phase, assistant phase, then the junior phase, finally to become a photographer. What this gave me was a phenomenal number of contacts. I knew all the art directors, all the model agencies, all the prop houses etc. But more to the point, they also knew me. So getting a start as I did, shooting mostly still life, I was not starting from scratch.
If I was advising someone that does not have the luxury of going down that route, but wants to break away from the social areas of photography, as you seem to, I would be tempted to say: decide what you love shooting. Then set your stall out and go for that subject. Look at the current trends. Put together a portfolio and go and see those buying that type of work. Loads of phone calls, loads of visits and loads of rejection.
As a pro, you are only as good as your last job and it has taken me 7 years just to change direction in what I shoot and gain a reputation in what I do. It’s still a tough way to earn a living, but I would never change it. We all start somewhere and often take different routes, so go for it.

Good luck! Rant over! G
Wink
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2012 11:16AM
Im sorry I was unable to give you any advice Myself Andrew, Not being a resident in Canada I have no idea of the Market Conditions of the country in refererence Photography. The market is saturated in the uk and western Europe with it seen as an easy way to make money.Its not but thats another 70 page forum post thats I have no intrest in starting or joining.

Some very good advice above about focusing your photography and building a reputation for yourself, the best photographers dont always get the jobs, Its those that Promote themselves that will always do best.
Look around you and see what peaple are doing for hobbies/Sports and assess if there is a market for high quality photos in that Field.
Building a reputation and a good skill set is hard but not Impossible and takes time, Aside from the very negetive comments above which you should ignore as most who use this site are much more polite, anyone can learn to take very good pictures if they are prepared to learn and the best tutor is getting out there and taking them, Use Facilitys like the criteque Gallery on here to improve.

The fact that you are out there promoting yourself and asking questions show that you have an intrest, well done for that and good luck.

I noticed sinse the comments above you have removed your photos from the site, shame as yours was just as good as the one that critsized yours and you should take with a pinch of salt, I hope you read this and return to the site.

KevinB
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2012 11:23AM

Quote:Im sorry I was unable to give you any advice Myself Andrew, Not being a resident in Canada I have no idea of the Market Conditions of the country in refererence Photography. The market is saturated in the uk and western Europe with it seen as an easy way to make money.Its not but thats another 70 page forum post thats I have no intrest in starting or joining.

Some very good advice above about focusing your photography and building a reputation for yourself, the best photographers dont always get the jobs, Its those that Promote themselves that will always do best.
Look around you and see what peaple are doing for hobbies/Sports and assess if there is a market for high quality photos in that Field.
Building a reputation and a good skill set is hard but not Impossible and takes time, Aside from the very negetive comments above which you should ignore as most who use this site are much more polite, anyone can learn to take very good pictures if they are prepared to learn and the best tutor is getting out there and taking them, Use Facilitys like the criteque Gallery on here to improve.

The fact that you are out there promoting yourself and asking questions show that you have an intrest, well done for that and good luck.

I noticed sinse the comments above you have removed your photos from the site, shame as yours was just as good as the one that critsized yours and you should take with a pinch of salt, I hope you read this and return to the site.

KevinB

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
23 Sep 2012 12:03PM
the short answer is to do what ever you can to make money....

I've just been walking around building sites photographing teams of construction industry directors..... I would never have guessed that would be an income source 2 years ago when I started down this route

If you saw the photos you'd probably not know they were mine - they're the hideous "record" shots people deride on here.

I did shoot HDR in places - just to add value, I think the client loved those Wink Kinda hyper-real look to them

That said, I'm off to shoot 2 kids at 1:30 then off to a film set in Leeds (well a mate's huge mansion) to grab a few shots and eat lots of curry Smile

Beats sitting in an office working out which manager you'd shoot first some the revolution, and where you'd shoot them first - usually both knee caps, then work up Wink
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 2:06PM
Why do people pussy-foot around telling people to go for it? Being a professional photographer is very difficult at the best of times. If people studied what I said about young people coming out of university and qualified with a degree in photography, who cannot find work themselves, so what chance has an amateur got, who's work is not up to pro standard? Why not come out and tell the truth? Is it that difficult to tell someone there work is not up to pro standard? Peterjones, I don't hide behind anything, unlike you behind your camera. Go to my website, all my details are there. So, why not contact me and come out to Tenerife, where I will gladly meet you to have a discussion.
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 2:26PM
Constructive Criticism is better than what you said, Its the ops decision if he wishes to continue, Coming out with crap like " you are rubbish, dont bother" does not help him or others using this site.

you yourself have made some very unprofessional comments on here and had them deleted to save your embarrassment so please dont quote you dont hide.

What gives you the right to be judge and jury on someone posting here who you know little about!.

The post by ade is very constructive and far more helpful than yours as are the others

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.