Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Morning!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Laymon
    Laymon  1 United Kingdom
    6 Feb 2013 - 11:16 AM

I thought I would introduce myself before diving in with many questions and advice seeking.

My name is Sam, I'm mid 30's, married with 2 children.

A few years back I took the decision to leave my job (took voluntary redundancy) so that I could care for my 2 children whilst they were young. My youngest is now in nursery and will be full time in September so I'm starting to think about returning to work. I have applied for a couple of jobs already, but if I'm honest, my heart isn't really in it. I do want to work, but I'd like to do something I'm passionate about and this leads me here.

I love taking pictures. I take several pictures every single day. Everywhere I go I see a potential photograph, it's always at the forefront of my mind, so I figured I should do something with that.

I've done a few unpaid jobs for friends in the past...mainly because I just love playing photographer, but also for some practice. I've done several kids parties, one Christening and 2 events held at my daughters' school. People always seem impressed with my work and I get asked back...the trouble is, because I do it for free at the moment, it's hard to tell whether they're only calling me back because I'm free, or because they genuinely like my work, or maybe it's a bit of both. One friend did say she would be happy to pay me, but I've always turned her down (I wasn't sure where I stood legally taking money from her tbh)

So I'm here because I'm not sure where to start really. I'm guilty of using my camera's on auto most of the time. I have dabbled a little with manual, but I'm never really happy with the results so one of my tasks is to learn to use my cameras properly (I have one bridge and one DSLR)

My next task will be to learn to use Photoshop (which I recently bought). I've never used it before simply because I always felt that a good photographer should be able to get the framing/lighting etc right with the camera, but over the years there have been a few photos that I've wished I could tweak properly...it's usually when I've done a big event and it's not until I get home that I realise some of the shots would be perfect with a tiny bit of adjustment.

I'm also going to need to know how to market myself, bring the customers in. What is reasonable to charge and a whole heap of other stuff, but for now I want to perfect my pictures through proper use of my cameras and photoshop.

Hopefully I'll be able to show you some of the work I've done already and you can give me some pointers on how I can improve.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to chatting to you all

Sam
    x

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Feb 2013 - 11:16 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Feb 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the introduction and welcome Sam

Quote: Hopefully I'll be able to show you some of the work I've done already and you can give me some pointers on how I can improve.

yes that's the best course of action, so we can to know you a bit better and your capabilities - one step at a time Smile

Laymon
    Laymon  1 United Kingdom
    6 Feb 2013 - 11:38 AM

Thanks, I will just as soon as I get a moment to browse the million pictures on my PC....that's something else I need to learn to do...keep the best, ditch the rest. I keep way too many of the same pictures.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Feb 2013 - 11:50 AM

Sounds like an organisation program would be good. Adobe Lightroom is well worth investing in. It lets you organise photos add keywords, mark good ones quickly so you can ditch bad ones, etc, as well as edit photos, publish to photo books, web pages etc.

Laymon
    Laymon  1 United Kingdom
    6 Feb 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thanks, I'll investigate that.

Nick_Hilton
    6 Feb 2013 - 12:42 PM

Sam,
    Welcome to the site, you will find most people on here are happy to answer any questions about photography or the wider universe if need be!

Nick

franken
    franken e2 Member 113103 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Feb 2013 - 12:52 PM

Welcome to this site Sam. A great place to learn.

Ken

Meheecho
    Meheecho  1275 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Feb 2013 - 2:18 PM

Welcome Sam . You'll find people are only too happy to offer advice. I've learn t a lot the short time I've been here. Enjoy and good luck with the future
    Steve

puertouk
    puertouk  21065 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Feb 2013 - 3:37 PM

Welcome to EPZ and hope you enjoy your time here. Going professional is a very big step and you need to be very comfortable that you are good enough to carry this out. Firstly, professional photographers very rarely shoot in auto. You really need to purchase a light meter to be able to get the correct meter readings. Yes, todays cameras are very good, but not anywhere near as good as a light meter. You should also get yourself a X-Rite Color Checker passport. When you start to charge people, they will expect there photographs to be far better than what they can take. I obviously wish you well in your venture into the World of photography and look forward to looking at some of your work.
    Stephen

Laymon
    Laymon  1 United Kingdom
    6 Feb 2013 - 6:31 PM

Quote: you need to be very comfortable that you are good enough to carry this out. Firstly, professional photographers very rarely shoot in auto

Thank you for your advice, every tip is appreciated. I'm very comfortable with my ability to spot a potentially good shot and I'm confident in framing said shot. The picture I want is often in my head (exposure, depth of field etc) I just need the technically knowledge to enable me to make my camera create the picture I want...does that make sense. I feel I have the eye, just not the technical know-how.

I'll pick some pictures to show you and I'll tell you what I wish I could've done or what part went wrong imo and you're free to tell me where I can improve my skills.

Where do I stand linking to flickr?

hobbs
    hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Feb 2013 - 7:37 PM

Welcome to the site, its a great place to learn I came to the it nearly 9 years ago with a new digital camera and not much knowledge. I know earn a significant amount of my money through photography and a lot of that is based on what I have learned here.

Don't be afraid to ask questions of others even if you think they are daft, the only daft question is one that is never asked.

Last Modified By hobbs at 6 Feb 2013 - 7:37 PM
    Meheecho
    Meheecho  1275 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Feb 2013 - 10:03 PM

Don't be afraid to ask questions of others even if you think they are daft, the only daft question is one that is never asked.
    [/quote]

Sound advice indeed

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.