Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Most Innovative Camera Of 2013?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3601 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
25 Nov 2013 - 11:03 PM

We were talking about this in the office today, and came up with a list of cameras that have introduced something new and innovative to the digital camera market, and wondered which of these interested you the most? Or do you have a different favourite not mentioned here, that introduces something new and innovative?

Fujifilm X100s Split Focus Screen (feature also in the X-E2)
Panasonic Lumix GX7 with Tilting EVF
Nikon 1 AW1 Waterproof Mirrorless camera
Sony Alpha Full-Frame Mirrorless Cameras A7/A7r
Sony Cyber-shot QX10/QX100 Camera/Lens smartphone attachment
Sony Cyber-shot RX10 - 8.3x Carl Zeiss f/2.8 lens, 1inch sensor, weather sealed bridge camera
Olympus Stylus 1, with built in high quality EVF and mini DSLR styling
Pentax K-3 - Anti-Aliasing simulator
Nikon Df - Manual controls, photo only DSLR
Ricoh Theta 360 camera
Panono 360 Panoramic Ball Camera
Panasonic Lumix GM1 - Ultra compact Micro Four Thirds mirrorless camera.
Canon EOS 70D - Dual Pixel AF sensor

Last Modified By joshwa at 26 Nov 2013 - 4:19 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Nov 2013 - 11:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315208 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2013 - 2:51 AM

Fuji`s split screen Smile

ChrisV
ChrisV  7771 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2013 - 12:00 PM

It's funny neither of the two which initially sprung to my mind are on there.

Canon 70D - this is the biggest.
Canon's first radical sensor redesign in a number of years with the dual pixel AF. I think it's going to be more significant in their next-gen M series camera, but it's a fairly major development - possibly the most significant for the industry as a whole this year IMO.

Olympus EM1 - on chip phase detect.
OK, hybrid AF may have been dallied with before, but this is the first implementation for m4/3 and arguably addresses the format's biggest Achilles' heel, as well as unifying Olympus' ILC line under the mirrorless tech.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64375 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2013 - 12:17 PM

Being a dedicated Canon user my head could so easily be turned by the new retro-styled Nikon DF with all those gorgeous dials. It's such a beauty to behold and has no "extras" like video to clutter everything up. And to be able to use so many Nikon vintage lenses on it too must make it a techie's joy. Thank goodness it's so expensive.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2013 - 12:17 PM

Well, I have only seen two on your list

The Sony A7 & A7r at my local camera store last Saturday when Sony were there.

What I think is the " innovative " feature are the different lens adaptors.

For me that means being able to use my A Mount lenses ( currently being used on the A900 ) but for others the possibility of using Leica M series lenses and those from other manufacturers as well including Voigtlander.

joshwa
26 Nov 2013 - 1:30 PM

I almost included the 70D in the initial list, and it's certainly worth considering.

The EM1 is an excellent camera, without doubt, but phase-detection AF has been built into cameras by a number of others, including the Nikon 1, Samsung NX series, Sony NEX series. In the EM1 it addresses slow focus for FourThirds lenses, but as contrast detection was already very fast on M43 cameras, it didn't seem like a huge benefit to the majority of people (unless you plan to use 4/3 lenses).

ChrisV
ChrisV  7771 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2013 - 3:20 PM

Fair enough on the EM1- it's significant for m4/3, but not exactly new tech [although I haven't tested CAF thoroughly with native lenses it does seem a bit hit and miss with the 50-200]. As you say, excellent camera though - I'm very pleased with it.

I expect the Sony RX100 would be in a list for 2012 and the second version is incremental. But in the miniaturisation stakes, how about consideration for the Panasonic GM1? In terms of features there's nothing new, but it does represent quite a lot of under-the-hood innovation to get so much into such a tiny form-factor. It could signal a future strand of development for the format.

Might we see in future, on the one hand, robust and ergonomic cameras optimised for use vs bodies made as small as possible to become truly pocketable large sensor ILCs? The GM1 could turn out to be a milestone.

joshwa
26 Nov 2013 - 4:15 PM

Yes the GM1 is another excellent camera that I was going to put in, but for some reason forgot Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315208 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2013 - 4:49 PM

Lets not forget the Live bulb feature of the Pens and OMD series, I don`t think you will see this anywhere else.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Nov 2013 - 4:51 PM
joshwa
26 Nov 2013 - 5:02 PM

Quote: Lets not forget the Live bulb feature of the Pens and OMD series, I don`t think you will see this anywhere else.

They won the innovation of the year award last year Smile Still a great feature!
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-livetime---best-new-technology-2012-20...

Paul Morgan
26 Nov 2013 - 5:12 PM

Lol how did I miss that Smile

Paul Morgan
26 Nov 2013 - 5:14 PM

I still believe its the Fuji x100s with its split screen, I know its a very old feature but its the first time it has been implemented in a digitail camera.

How about the Fuji x20, I don`t think any other compact camera shows you all the information in the viewfinder.

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2013 - 6:15 PM

i think you should add the canon 6D !

petebfrance
26 Nov 2013 - 6:23 PM

Panasonic Lf1 for finally putting an EVF into a small compact.

ChrisJD
ChrisJD  494 forum posts Scotland
26 Nov 2013 - 7:54 PM

I read about one in AP today that you wear round your neck and it automatically takes a pic every other minute (or some similar timescale). The idea is you build up a photo "diary" of your day's events. Innovative? Not sure but different enough in today's saturated market to peak my attention.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.