Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Most successful Band since the Beatles??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    scottishphototours

Saw an interesting comment on youtube regarding the success of certain bands since the Beatles - so just who is the most successful??

Here's the comment:

"Would they go down as the most successful band of all time? 35+ years & still going, never stopped recording/touring (probably the longest gap is 5 yrs), original 4 members still active, no new members no members leaving

Still produce songs as good now as they did in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s.

Play classics as well as new stuff at concerts (instead of just stuff from latest album), Never hear of argument or splits

I'd find it hard to think of another band that can say that."

The band he was talking about?......................... U2.

Is he right??

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Sep 2012 - 9:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ourdayphotos
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:25 PM

Yes they are very successful but for some reason I've never been compelled to buy one of their albums & I must own thousands. Don't know why I've never bought one but I do think that success doesn't mean best, it's just that more music buying people have a bland mainstream taste & people like what's popular because it's popular & not because it's actually good. Queen & ACDC are examples of this, utter crap.

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:31 PM

Suppose it depends on your definition of 'success'- if longest lasting with original line up (no changes at all) then probably U2 (they did have another guitar player, the Edge's brother, when they were called 'the Hype' but no changes since name change to U2 & releasing first commercial recording).

Agree that they "Still produce songs as good now as they did in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s.", I didn't much like their music back then & still don't!! Wink

JB

( under that definition, I don't know why the Beatles would be mentioned!, they had line up changes & didn't last particularly long, comparitively speaking)

Last Modified By snapbandit at 3 Sep 2012 - 10:34 PM
    sut68
    sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:34 PM

Successful yes, but I'd have to put the Rolling Stones are right up there, if not more successful than U2? 50+ years and still drawing the crowds for their live shows.

sut68
    sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:50 PM

In fact looking at claimed record sales, U2 are considerably behind The Rolling Stones and some way further behind the likes of Queen, Led Zeppelin and ACDC ... depends on how you wish to view 'success' I suppose. Incidentally, although not a band/group but Madonna is ahead on sales to U2 by some way as well Grin

scottishphototours

Interesting...just putting it out there!!

As a lifelong Queen fan, I shuddered at the word "crap" being applied to them. Also just watched 50,000 Argentinians jump in unison to AC/DC, so yeah, some people like crap... Wink

Rolling Stones - interesting thought. Never understood their appeal myself Sad

Keep them coming...

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41181 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2012 - 11:18 PM

As with photos, it's a matter of taste. AC/DC aren't crap to their millions of followers.
    I do think after a long time that bands produce stuff their followers want, rather than exploring different creative avenues...maybe they get set in their ways. Unfortunately, a lot of bands are still going but have done nothing creative for a long time

How do you define success? Longevity? Demand? Record sales?

Nick

Andy80F
    Andy80F  11306 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Sep 2012 - 11:29 PM

Yes the band. Phenomenal success in Prog rock but only 30 million album sales. Genesis another legend but Joni Mitchell as a seminal influence on music. However i don't think its an answerable question as the idea of "success" is not defined and might not be definable except in monetary or sales numbers terms and many smaller bands have had a greater influence than U2 which could be another measure of success.

mikehit
    mikehit  46182 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Sep 2012 - 1:29 AM

U2 are way down the list for total album sales, behind Michael Jackson and Rolling Stones for gross concert totals but nowhere near the top for biggest gross tour.
    He sounds like a U2 fan to me - he makes a statement then puts in a load of critera to try and keep out anyone else but fails even there: how about Elton John, Rolling Stones, AC/DC....quite a few could match them.

It is strange how he headlines the commentary with reference to the Beatles then applies a load of criteria that should immediately disqualify them:

Quote: Would they go down as the most successful band of all time? 35+ years & still going Beatles stopped 40 years ago having only lasted a little more than a decade, never stopped recording/touring (probably the longest gap is 5 yrs) stopped 40+ years ago, original 4 members still active two died, no new members no members leaving all left

Still produce songs as good now as they did in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s stopped 40 years ago.

Play classics as well as new stuff at concerts (instead of just stuff from latest album), Never hear of argument or splits riven by rounours for their last 2 years

kodachrome
    4 Sep 2012 - 8:02 AM

U2 were pretty big but ever since I spotted the soles of Bono's boots sticking out of Blair's a----
    During election times, I lost interest in them, interfering in British politics and he wasn't even British the cheeky git and the labour party let him.

Although not the biggest bands in history, I was a big Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac fan.
    ABBA were pretty big globally in record sales.
    The Beatles must go down as the band that left the biggest legacy of them all. Only Elvis was bigger, but they even pushed him off the top spot in their hay day.

Geoffphoto
    4 Sep 2012 - 10:03 AM

Everbody knows that Iron Maiden are the most successful band of all time !!!!! ( but then I do support Plymouth Argyle !!! Smile )

To quote Wiki " Iron Maiden have reportedly sold over 85 million records worldwide with little radio or television support." and they are a lot more fun than bloody U2. Tongue

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 4 Sep 2012 - 10:08 AM
    saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43650 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Sep 2012 - 4:06 PM

Quote: Iron Maiden

I thought that was Margaret Roberts before she married Denis and became the Iron LadyTongue

mikehit
    mikehit  46182 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Sep 2012 - 4:11 PM

So that's where they got the cover art from....

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.