Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Motor Insurers Database & ANPR

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

collywobles
9 Oct 2010 - 9:09 AM

I am posting this as a helpful link.

With the Police now using the ANPR system and have the power to confiscate your vehicle on the spot if it is not insured, the following website has details that the Police use when they stop you. Iím not suggesting that anyone is uninsured but on Watchdog last night people are having good vehicles confiscated even though they are properly insured. The reason is that the insurance companies are taking too long to update the details on the system and if you are stopped during this period it could cause you problems. Problems happen mainly when you change your insurance, renewal or update or a direct debit is not paid.

So if you logon to the site and input your car details it will tell you if the records are correct. It could be useful to others so pass the link on.

http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/

PS; You could also check out dodgy neighbours........................... {8o) but Iím not suggesting anyone would..............Regards

Colin

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Oct 2010 - 9:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84280 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2010 - 9:12 AM

Your link comes up "Address is not valid"!

collywobles
9 Oct 2010 - 9:23 AM

Ok type in the web address as

http://www.askmid.com

Just checked the site and it is being overwhelmed with enquiies

Colin

PS: Never was any good at hyperlinks.......... {8o(

PPS: just logged onto the site and it seems now to be charging £3.50 to check -- but when I did my car yesterday I did not have to pay anything. Interesting !!!!!!

Last Modified By collywobles at 9 Oct 2010 - 9:25 AM
MrGoatsmilk
9 Oct 2010 - 9:23 AM

link below
link

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 9 Oct 2010 - 9:23 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
MrGoatsmilk
9 Oct 2010 - 9:24 AM

Must type faster!!Grin

It is still free just use the link above the £3.50 link on the right

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 9 Oct 2010 - 9:30 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
9 Oct 2010 - 11:30 AM

Brilliant share Colly. Just found out that my wife's car is incorrectly identified! The brokers are going to sort it on Monday.

Many thanks.

(BTW - the check is free)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 9 Oct 2010 - 11:30 AM
ge22y
ge22y  6115 forum posts Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2010 - 11:39 AM

Just a little bit of further information, the police also check with the MID but they can only do this during office hours, so if you do get stopped and your vehicle is showing as uninsured most officers will ring the MID also known as MIB. One other thing that is catching a lot of drivers out is that some insurance companies are now removing the cover to drive other vehicles with third party cover as a standard part of their fully comp packages, so if you do drive other peoples vehicles make sure you have the cover.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
polis_928tadw59

I was advised by my own local insurance broker this year to renew 3-4 days before expiry to allow for the renewal info. to filter through the system, otherwise it may not be shown as insured, and subsequently have the vehicle seized. I always renewed the day before paying by cheque or debit card. But he advised that if not carrying the new cert., and even showing their receipt for my payment, that would not satisfy many of the Old Bill. I suppose they get bonus points for each vehicle seized, rather than using a bit common sense approach.

Anthony
Anthony  125645 forum posts Scotland17 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2010 - 1:20 PM

Quote: MID also known as MIB.

MID - is the Motor Insurers Database

MIB - Motor Insurance Bureau

They are not the same thing at all. One is a database, one is an organisation that is independant of any insurance company that has multiple functions, including assisting insured motorists with claims involving uninsured drivers.

Another thing you can do to help if your pulled over by the police as not insured, is to perhaps have a copy of the insurance certificate with you to let them see it. They would then contact the insurance company to confirm cover. You would probably not need to carry it more than a week or so after the polocy has started.

As said above, this would not affect a renewed policy, it could only affect new policies, or ones where you have made changes to the policy.

While the insurance company does have the responsibility to ensure the admin is done, the driver/insured also has the duty of care to check their documents are correct, and if not let the insurer know, also to make sure you receive them, if you dont, let them know as well.

Anthony

Anthony
Anthony  125645 forum posts Scotland17 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2010 - 1:24 PM

Quote: some insurance companies are now removing the cover to drive other vehicles with third party cover as a standard part of their fully comp packages, so if you do drive other peoples vehicles make sure you have the cover.

totally valid point, its up to us drivers to check the policy when the paperwork arrives. Its a reall pain to do it, but worth spending 5 or 10 minutes checking the details, make sure it covers you for what you need. Not just for driving other cars, but things like the amount of excess, the details of the car, any additional benefits you have asked for, legal cover, NCD protection etc, dont assume something is there, if you cant see it, give the insurer a call and query it.

Anthony

newy17
newy17  8273 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Oct 2010 - 1:47 PM

Yep always leave a copy in the glove boxWink we changed our car 5 months ago and ive been stopped 3 times now,
On the second time the police spoke to the insurance company and told them to update their system. But i still got stopped a month later Sad

Never trust them and always have a copy on you and you'll be alrightSmile.

collywobles
9 Oct 2010 - 2:34 PM

Quote: Brilliant share Colly. Just found out that my wife's car is incorrectly identified! The brokers are going to sort it on Monday

Glad to have been of help and thats the very reason I posted this. This is the one advantage with sharing info on any of the Social Web Sites.

One guy on the program had his car confiscated although actually being insured and he, his wife and children were left on the road side. The only thing I can say is pass this onto your friends.

Colin

Last Modified By collywobles at 9 Oct 2010 - 2:35 PM
collywobles
9 Oct 2010 - 2:37 PM

Quote: Yep always leave a copy in the glove boxWink we changed our car 5 months ago and ive been stopped 3 times now,
On the second time the police spoke to the insurance company and told them to update their system. But i still got stopped a month later Sad

Never trust them and always have a copy on you and you'll be alrightSmile.

Not always true as some people take insurance out and then cancel when they receive the Certificate and the Police recognise this.

User_Removed
9 Oct 2010 - 7:15 PM

Quote: Not always true as some people take insurance out and then cancel when they receive the Certificate and the Police recognise this.

Bang on.

They 'aint daft. Wink

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2010 - 8:03 PM

Quote: Not always true as some people take insurance out and then cancel when they receive the Certificate and the Police recognise this.

Bang on.

They 'aint daft. Wink

Plod must be a bit daft......How many cars are driven about on trader policies....Thousands I guess.

I quite often drive cars fully comp on a days insurance bought from big well known companies

Another scaremongering tactic from the insurance companies and Plod to keep us all in line I reckon....If your insured then you are insured.....

Plod has got to prove otherwise before he nicks your vehicle and he would have a damn hard job as the link to this database doesnt work weekends or evenings.....Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.