Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Motorcycle respect ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
30 Aug 2013 - 7:34 PM

Watching some of the antics on the link below has me feeling sorry for the bikes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhjwxrgCiU4

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Aug 2013 - 7:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Willpower
Willpower  3176 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Aug 2013 - 12:05 AM

What a bunch of idiots..... Can I have my 3 mins 21 secs back please.

thewilliam
31 Aug 2013 - 11:11 AM

Why do folk do stupid stunts without the protection of a helmet? Or perhaps the brain-damage has already been done and another knock on the head won't make it worse.

puertouk
puertouk  21053 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2013 - 12:05 PM

Bikes are dangerous enough, but with idiots like these, do you make any wonder motorists don't like bikers. You ought to see them out here on Tenerife, lunatics.

kodachrome
31 Aug 2013 - 12:25 PM

According to Stephen Fry, New York hospitals call bikers, 'Doners' when there is a spell of wet weather.

lemmy
lemmy  71768 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Aug 2013 - 12:41 PM

Quote: do you make any wonder motorists don't like bikers.

Yes, how logical that a motorist in England should hate all bikers everywhere for something that a few people who cannot ride motorcycles are doing on private land in America!

I have always hated photographers because once, in Africa, I saw someone with a camera bag on their back swing around and knock over a child Tongue

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
31 Aug 2013 - 2:21 PM

Quote: ...do you make any wonder motorists don't like bikers

There is a dislike and baiting of bikers in some sections of the car-driving community. Yet on a recent journey down the M1 to Nottingham, I was pleasantly surprised by the courtesy of some drivers, particularly in roadwork queues where some would see you filtering and pull over a bit to let you through. Then there're the boy racers coming up from behind at speed hoping you'll give them a run for their money ....no chance. My bike's a relatively slow model achieving 0-60mph in around 4 secs but sufficient to see off most 4-wheelers if I was ever inclined that way Wink

thewilliam
31 Aug 2013 - 3:31 PM

Many motorists seem have a blind spot when it comes to motorbikes.

One of our neighbours was put into a wheelchair by a trucker who didn't see him as he drove the truck across the road to enter a lay-by on the "wrong" side. Our neighbour was one of a group of police motorcyclists, on police bikes with headlights but not blue lights and wearing hi-viz baby-gro outfits. What more could they have done to make themselves visible?

If you think a motorbike is dangerous, try cycling. Many motorists seem to think that because pedal bikes pay no road tax (yet) their riders have no legal right to be on the road and it's open-season!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 31 Aug 2013 - 3:33 PM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72142 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2013 - 4:11 PM

As a cyclist, ex-motorcyclist and a car driver, I see all road users behaving well and badly.
With regard to trucks/HGV's, they are now fitting warning signs to the rear of their vehicles, because of the amount of accidents occurring when 2-wheelers ride down their nearside at lights or junctions, when they(the trucks) are indicating and turning left - thay cannot see them and they get compromised by the side movement of the truck as it turns left, which often results in injury.
There are a small percentage of cyclists who don't stop at traffic lights, which is a big reason for car drivers getting aggravated and quite rightly so.
Even as a law abiding cyclist, I've had all kinds of **** thrown at me - both physically and verbally, by drivers of all kinds of vehicles, and all for no particular reason, except for riding a bike.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110165 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2013 - 5:32 PM

Quote:
Many motorists seem have a blind spot when it comes to motorbikes.

50 + years ago I was riding my BSA Bantam to work when the ex-Chief Constable of Surrey drove his car right through me, side on (he was turning in to Sutton & Cheam Hospital and I happened to be in his way.

Major damage to many parts of me resulted in me taking 18 months to learn to walk and a subsequent knee replacement a 54 when the "repaired knee final disintegrated" , etc

When the court finally heard the case his QC (note) claimed that it must have been my fault because

- it was well known that all motorcyclists rode powerful machines that they couldn't control
- his respected client, being a trained police officer wouldn't have an accident
- he hadn't seen me anyway
- I was so badly damaged in the unfortunate incident that I was incapable of remembering anything clearly

A witness, driving behind said pillar of society was classified as a "Hostile Witness" (as he said he thought the person who hit me was "driving badly" )

result:

he got off with a clear license, it took me more than a year to get any sort of compensation (for me or the bike) and I was left partially disabled, so yes - even highly trained drivers can have a blind spot when it comes to motorcycles

Last Modified By brian1208 at 31 Aug 2013 - 5:33 PM
lemmy
31 Aug 2013 - 6:33 PM

Quote: There are a small percentage of cyclists who don't stop at traffic lights, which is a big reason for car drivers getting aggravated and quite rightly so.

And as any cyclist knows, a larger percentage of car drivers who drive while talking or texting on their hand held mobile phones.

It's a shame that education isn't better here, maybe we could teach some kind of logic at school so that someone who sees a few examples of something happening does not conclude that it always happens.

The logic of hating all cyclists because of what some do, or all motorists because of what some do is toy town stuff and we should be ashamed to have an education system that leaves people with deductive powers so feeble.

Like arhb, I drive cycle and sometimes motorcycle. None of the users of any such transport are above criticism but neither are they all wilfull law breakers.

Brian's story of the chief constable doesn't surprise me. Years ago a mate of mine was charged with dangerous driving. I was called as a witness and said it didn't happen. It didn't. The charge was because my friend had nicked a policeman's girl friend off him and the cops had him marked. That was in the late Dixon of Dock Green days when the friendly British bobby was known for his fair play and incorruptabilty Tongue

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014441 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2013 - 8:12 PM

rick3-8260140.jpg

This is a Harley Screaming Eagle, 1800cc. Our friend was visiting from the West Coast of Canada last weekend, 12 hours through the Rocky Mountains. He's been all over North America on his bikes, and he has lots of common sense. Before he ever rode a motorcycle, he went to college, where they have a comprehensive course on riding various types of Motorcycles. Respect is the key word, bikers for motorists, and vice versa. Respect breeds respect, and so on.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
31 Aug 2013 - 9:51 PM

More lunacy and much of it on public roads.....wonder which countries -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN7MFHv6Qog

Midget crash fest? -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEClBPP8Dg

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
1 Sep 2013 - 10:16 AM

It takes two to tango -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaOVNqA7lBA

lemmy
1 Sep 2013 - 12:15 PM

Quote: It takes two to tango

Born racers! Great to watch two guys whose only thought is to get back in and race. I love that enthusiasm and drive in people.

And that Harley, I want one! I'm just off to the Languedoc for a few weeks and I'm considering buying a small bike for tootling around the hilltop villages that I can't reach on my bicycle. Now I want to do it on a Harley....thanks a million, Straycat Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.