Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Mounted and unmounted

tenerifejohn 8 126 England
29 Apr 2006 10:48AM
I am entering a little competition - 1st prize only 3 per section. Some of the photos have to be mounted and others unmounted. Any of the experts on here like to give me a few tips on how to display both sections. cheers John

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserDeleted 11 3.6k
29 Apr 2006 12:06PM
If you are sure you are going to win both spend less than 6. If you are in any way doubtful then don't spend anything.....3 is no prize to worry about. And I'm assuming it is important to you as you included it in your details...

Other than that use a professional lab, think about your composition and crop and if possible get someone to mount it for you if you are not experienced in this.

Mike.
29 Apr 2006 12:23PM
Cheers Mike. Not worried about the cash. Will take your advice on the mountings. JR
UserDeleted 11 3.6k
29 Apr 2006 12:32PM
If you get them both mounted use the same material, an off or antique white should show the image off well in the majority of cases.

Finally don't be afraid to use a wide mount....too skinny and it will look strange - again a gallery or mount cutter can advise you on how best to present the images...

Mike.
nikon5700ite 10 1.8k
29 Apr 2006 1:05PM
I assume that you will get the prints back so a well mounted photo will serve you well for other competitions or to hang on your wall at home or work.

Personally, though I well know that 99.99999999% of photographs are mounted on white card, I think it is about the worst way to go, except for coloured mounts .... I go for a mid grey, of generous proportions as suggested above.

I mount A4 to A3 on 20x16 inch board which should give you an idea of my ideas Smile With sides and top equal width and the bottom about x1.5 the width of them .... an old guide which I havn't seen need to change from.

Do not be afraid to present a picture in any format since it should suit the image ... so square, long and thin or tall and skinny ... what suits the image, not the size of paper.
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
29 Apr 2006 2:48PM
It just shows that tastes vary .. I find mid-grey is awful ... I have to say go for black or white .. and I always find that white with a black core is very impressive. I always get it lab printed as they are very quick, very cheap and look great with less chance of curling. I have an overlay cutter who will cut an overlay for between 50p and 1 (overlay supplied by him) .. I then buy a cheap rigid backing board and mount it myself. Costs less than 1.50 plus the cost of the print and it looks very professional. I then have a bag sealer that I use to seal it in a plastic sleeve which I shrink round the mounting using gentle heat. Agree with Nikon5700ite that a wide border is always better than narrow imho. Regards, Paul.
29 Apr 2006 9:45PM
Cheers to all members above. I have saved your thoughts and as I have plenty of time will try all suggestions. Keep them coming!! JR
BillS 8 27 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2006 12:09AM
Any decent Art Gallery or Framer will advise you , it doesn't cost much . It is usually the picture frames that they make their money on.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.