Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mounting photographs for display a Query

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3737 forum postshobbo vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 May 2011 - 8:16 AM

A general query

After a bit of a tussle my EPSON SX215 all in one printer has begun to produce very passable mono prints of the best of my recent work:

A local Wine Shop has just begun to display Art and Photography by local artists and photographers................I showed the owner a few samples of my work and he is keen to display a few:

I really don't want to delve into mounting and framing costs and wondered if there is a lightweight board (foam core?) available so that I could just mount my pics edge to edge....like an unframed painting?

Oh! and the best way to hang them please:

The mount on a board method means that the purchaser can frame and mount a pic to suit their tastes:

It's many years since I painted and exhibited so I'm completely out of touch with current methods:

I want to keep costs down in the first instance.......then....if I receive any serious queries I could offer to get high quality prints done professionally

This is going to be.......A dip a toe in the water ....experiment:

Cheers!!

Hobbo

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 May 2011 - 8:16 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    12 May 2011 - 9:25 AM

If you live anywhere near an IKEA store try them. they have a range of picture frames and clip mounts at very reasonable prices.

KevSB
    KevSB  101390 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    12 May 2011 - 9:29 AM

Wilcos do some very cheap frames, 50x40 pewter for about 6.50 each

konu
    konu  531 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 May 2011 - 9:32 AM

I recently faced the same situation to display my work at a local restaurant. I used 4mm particle board, cut it to size and them strengthened it with teakwood ribs. Then I used SH adhesive to stick the prints. Lastly I finished of the borders with framing tape.
    The exercise consumed time but cost me less and was satisfactory.
    Smile

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    12 May 2011 - 9:36 AM

It's easy enough to spray mount to foam core board and run round the edges with a stanley knife to create an attractive looking image..but it is not really durable, it can be scratches easily . If I ever do this I wrap the result in a clear film.

Personally I would try some frames with mounts in from Ikea, wilkinsons or the range.

IanBurton
    IanBurton  460 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    12 May 2011 - 9:39 AM

Hi Hobbo,

Seems like you have pretty much answered your own question. Everyone has different ways of presenting their work and without seeing your work and knowing the size you want to display I can only offer the following advice:
    I'm sure you know foam core boards need to be hung on a wall or laid flat as they have a tendency to bow. To hang on a wall you could use Self Adhesive Plate/Picture Hangers which are cheap to purhcase online. Foam core boards are also quite thick (around >5mm) and are not best suited to putting in a frame (from a customers POV).

IMO when displaying work you need to showcase your work in the best possible way showing high quality presentation that does not distract from your image but will make your work stand out from the rest. From experience, most customers like to have the frames as part of a deal. Have you thought about offering presentation options?

It might be worthwhile having a trip to your local picture framing shop and take an example of your work and try out some different presentation styles.

Hope this helps some,

Best of luck!

Ian.

dcash29
    dcash29  81870 forum posts England
    12 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

For the backboard use greyboard. Use double sided tape to stick the picture and the mount

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3737 forum postshobbo vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 May 2011 - 7:12 PM

A very big THANK-YOU folks..................after mulling it all over......................I am going to see if my local independent framer will give me a good price....................the Wilkinson's and IKEA frames are out because although the photographs are printed on A4 photo-paper.....each one has been cropped to suit the composition:

Hobbo

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.