Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Mounting photos

zedz 5 6 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2011 7:41AM
Can anyone recommend a tape to fix a photo to a mount and a tape/adhesive to stick the backing card to the now mounted photo please? I need to ensure the photos are mounted permanently and more professionally looking than my usual 'just-for-me' mounting system. Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
22 Nov 2011 7:59AM
I buy something from a local stockist called PH7-70 Tape which is acid free and doesn't stain. I did a quick search on Google and found it available here , but most framing shops should have it......Not cheap mind, but cracking good stuff designed for the job!

Ade
IanBurton 5 71 7 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2011 8:38AM
It might be worth considering dry-mounting particularly if you're selling mounted prints and want a professional finish. Yes you will have to get this done at your local framing shop, but it is worth spending a little extra to keep your prints flat. I use this process and the feedback has been really positive, I even use this if I frame pictures as it prevents any ripples appearing. Hope this helps.

Ian
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
22 Nov 2011 8:59AM
You could also use adhesive boards, which is what I think Ian is talking about, again available from the link I gave earlier.......

Ade
robthecamman 3 1.3k United Kingdom
22 Nov 2011 12:06PM
you can get spray cans of glue for a tenner or double sided tape
mickrick 10 17 2 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2011 2:21PM
3M make a product called Photomount. Dead easy. Lay out some old newspaper, and put the photo on face down. Spray the back of the photo, laterally and up and down to get good cover. Wait about three minutes for the solvent to flash off, and press the photo onto the mount. If it's not quite true, you get a few minutes to reposition it. You should be able to get it at a craft shop, or office supply shop
robthecamman 3 1.3k United Kingdom
22 Nov 2011 2:50PM
agree mickrick thats it
damienvc 3 28 2 Belgium
27 Nov 2011 9:55AM
I always use water soluble gummed tape, with a T style hinge. This means that the mounting isn't permanent, and the photo can be re-mounted in future. Adhesive boards / spray on glue etc etc will wreck the photo if it needs re-mounting in the future. This is the standard mounting technique for most professional framers (I'm not one by the way!).
Bridgelayer 7 552 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2011 12:03PM
I got some "Stick & Stay", acid free and repositionable from a Craft Show at the NEC.

Crafters Companion, 11 Collingwood St., Coundon, Bishop Auckland, Co Durham, DL14 8LG.
Tel 01388 663251
Taken from the can. It works.

Hope this helps.
Outlander 5 73
27 Nov 2011 12:48PM
Nip down to your local Poundshop 4x4rolls double sided tape 24mmX10m @1. ive used it many times and can recommend it, the other option is Wilkinsons who also do double sided theres is a bit wider 50mm
zedz 5 6 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2011 8:25PM
Thanks guys for all your comments. The photos are now all ready for mounting so am off to try out your suggestions. Cheers

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.