Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mounting Photos on Wood

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    khedarin
    khedarin  6 Australia
    13 Sep 2013 - 11:39 AM

I have searched forums but could not find anything to help me, so please excuse if this has been covered elsewhere. I would like to be able to mount my own photos onto wooden boards (fairly large images). Does anyone have any tips on how to go about this please? ie. what sort of adhesive to use, what to seal the surface with, how to achieve a smooth and professional looking result. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Sep 2013 - 11:39 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53544 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Sep 2013 - 12:56 PM

I walked past these onwarddisplay guys the other day - they said they could print direct on the wood. http://www.onwarddisplay.com/

pic4you
    pic4you  6 New Zealand
    13 Sep 2013 - 1:02 PM

MDF is the way to go ecause it's surface is very smooth indeed.
    Use a can of spray glue for an even thin layer on both surfaces and join after a couple of minutes.
    Use a rubber roller and a sheet of white paper between foto and roller to get a smooth surface.
    If you use 20mm MDF then you can also finish the edges with a plain or color self adhesive banding that can be ironed on which give a great finish.
    Yes I do this all the time and it really workx Smile
    good luck

Bridgelayer
    13 Sep 2013 - 5:19 PM

"Stick & Stay" is a good adhesive and will give you a chance to re-adjust if you get it wrong first time.
    available here

khedarin
    khedarin  6 Australia
    13 Sep 2013 - 11:24 PM

Thank you everyone. I am in Australia and probably cannot buy the brand names you mention. However what you have told me is helpful. Any tips on how to get the MDF absolutely dust free? I did experiment with a small image and thought I was very careful. But the result was a few tiny lumps under the photo which have ruined it. Also, what about a top seal? The small one I did was printed glossy and I sprayed it over with a matt sealer. It looks okay apart from the lumps! Any more suggestions? Thanks.

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Sep 2013 - 11:36 PM

Quote: Any tips on how to get the MDF absolutely dust free?

A vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment should do it, followed by a wipe over with a tack cloth.

khedarin
    khedarin  6 Australia
    13 Sep 2013 - 11:49 PM

Thank u. So obvious really!

Bridgelayer
    14 Sep 2013 - 10:46 AM

Contact "Docrafts" or Daisychain Scrapbooks. Thy were very helpful to my missis when were over there.

Just googled it and 3M in Aus do the stuff you need. Spray Mount Adhesive.

Last Modified By Bridgelayer at 14 Sep 2013 - 10:50 AM
    khedarin
    khedarin  6 Australia
    14 Sep 2013 - 11:30 AM

Many thanks!

Bridgelayer
    4 Oct 2013 - 2:17 PM

I've just found this when I was looking for tips on Painting with acrylic.
    Have a look on You Tube for loads more.

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96002 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Oct 2013 - 2:23 PM

I've used gel medium and it does work well - worth experimenting first though!

Also a friend suggested varnishing the image and then when dry damping the back and rubbing the paper off. This leaves the image in the varnish when can then be applied to whatever you fancy. I hope to have a go at this method over the weekend if I can find the time!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.