Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mouse Etiquette

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139498 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2012 - 10:23 PM

I am a bit variable in how quickly I embrace new things - sometimes I'm quick to do it, at other times I lag well behind. Well I have at long last (and probably years after most EPZers have done this) adopted a new mouse. Smile

That is to say....................... a cordless mouse for my computer! I must say I do like this device and wish I'd bought one ages ago.

But I have never before had a mouse with a little switch on the bottom to turn it on and off. I wondered if people who own such a creature actually bother using this switch, in order to save the battery, or do you leave it on all the time?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Apr 2012 - 10:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2012 - 10:27 PM

Quote: or do you leave it on all the time?

Forget to turn it off more often than not Tongue......not sure though how much the battery drains if you leave it on but not in use....

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014855 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2012 - 10:28 PM

Never turn it off.

hobbs
hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2012 - 10:29 PM

I always use to leave mine turned on, mind that might of had something to do with me constantly forgetting I'd turned it off and then spending a couple of mins trying to work out why it wasn't working. Grin

User_Removed
12 Apr 2012 - 10:34 PM

Quote: Forget to turn it off more often than not

Same here. (If it's ok to say that!!!!!!!!!!) Wink

justin c
justin c  104528 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2012 - 10:37 PM

I managed to recently pick up two secondhand Logitech MX wireless laser mice. Cost 100 to buy new for the pair. I paid the princly sum of 50 pence each SmileSmile. Absolutely superb bit of kit, so responsive, accurate and amazingly comfortable.
I never bother to physically switch them off, but just continue using them until they need recharging. Logitech claims they give about 30 days use before needing to be recharged. They only take a couple of hours to fully charge so I switch to the Wacom until they're ready to go again.

I hate corded mice and could never envisage going back to a non-wireless mouse again.

Last Modified By justin c at 12 Apr 2012 - 10:39 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315481 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2012 - 11:48 PM

Corded or wireless I don`t mind.

But it needs to be little(note book size) I hate them big and chunky.

Overread
Overread  63770 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2012 - 12:36 AM

I far far far prefer a corded mouse. No having to worry about the thing running out of power and giving out on your at the most annoying of moments. Some wireless I do like - some I feel is wireless just for the sake of it or is limited in usefullness much of the time.

Speakers - keyboard - mouse - eh it can all be corded as the cables are out of the way any way so its a not a problem.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139498 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2012 - 12:40 AM

Quote: But it needs to be little(note book size) I hate them big and chunky

Yes, my cordless mouse is smaller than the corded one I've been using but I think it's ergonomically all the better for that.

BigRick
BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2012 - 7:04 AM

I have the Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000 as it has the blue laser, and is far more responsive on non standard surfaces than any other i have used, it has the switch and i turn it off every time i shut the lid of the laptop.

Would not use a corded mouse ever again, as the cable is such a pain when trying to use it fast, as the cable can catch or drag on something, and you end up dropping a file into the wrong folder or something daft, lol. Smile

redsnappa
redsnappa  121916 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Apr 2012 - 8:08 AM

Abbout five years ago while trying to right click, edit on a batch file I ended up running the batch file because of a mouse cable snagging, ever since I have used only cordless mice.

Even at work I use my own cordless mouse instead of the supplied corded one.

Last Modified By redsnappa at 13 Apr 2012 - 8:10 AM
lemmy
lemmy  71897 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Apr 2012 - 9:24 AM

Quote: , or do you leave it on all the time

I leave mine on all the time since I forget to turn it off anyway. I use the wonderful Eneloop batteries, so there is little on-cost to leaving it on. In fact, I just realized I don't use any alkaline batteries at all these days, clocks, keyboards, radios, gadgets, all powered up by Eneloops.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2012 - 9:36 AM

I tried a cordless mouse for a while. Loved the lack of a cable, hated the jitters when the battery started running out, went back to a corded mouse.

To prevent cord snags I always have the cord held under something like the monitor, with enough free to work with but not to get in the way of anything else.

Ian

theorderingone
13 Apr 2012 - 9:38 AM

I've a Bluetooth mouse I use with my laptop.

I always switch it off when not in use. In fact I even switch it off when watching stuff on iPlayer or 4OD as it prevents me nudging the thing, making all the distracting play/pause stuff appear on screen. Seems pointless wasting energy, even if batteries are cheap/rechargeable.

lemmy
lemmy  71897 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Apr 2012 - 9:44 AM

Quote: Seems pointless wasting energy,

Just looked at my Logotech RX60 cordless mouse - the green switch I thought was on/off isn't. It's a 'make contact' switch. So there is no on/ off switch. In the blurb, Logitech say that when the mouse is static, battery drain is so small as not to be measurable, hence no switch.

You have failed to make me feel guilty so I have put my hair shirt away Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.