Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Mouse for Photo Editing

HowieR 3 20 3 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2012 10:17AM
I have been using an Apple wireless Magic Mouse with my Mac Pro but its been getting a bit sticky on movement , and hasn't responded to vacuum cleaning.
I'd be interested in your recommendations for the very best mouse for photo editing, compatible with Mac OS.
Cheers
Howie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2012 1:22PM
Hi Howie,

I think the best mouse is a photo editing pen & tablet Wink Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch is on my wish list.

Then from a PC POV i use Logitech wireless mice as the Cable does not restrict movement.
Microsoft is touting blue laser (not red) as having more accurate tracking on multiple surfaces - is something similar around for the Mac?

Good Luck
Stuart
6 Aug 2012 3:42PM
The Wacom Tablet with Pen and Mouse is excellent. Both work differently and therefore have different uses.
6 Aug 2012 9:09PM
Just a thought? -- Have you taken the mouse apart and checked for strands of fluff inside?
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2012 10:08PM
i have the blue laser mouse, and its GREAT, and i also have the wacom bamboo tablet, which for certain things is also GREAT.... i like to use both when editing photos, as each has a place depending on the tool you are using at the time. Smile
HowieR 3 20 3 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2012 12:14PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I've had a crack at cleaning the mouse to no avail
I've yet to try a tablet - I guess I must have a go!
Bridgelayer 7 552 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2012 11:58PM
Just a thought.... Could it be your mouse mat? I've known laser meeces to be very sensitive and not work on patterned mats or even go bloody wild. Flying off at a tangent and closing down the odd window.
Niknut e2
4 673 64 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2012 4:55PM
I would agree with 'Bridgelayer' about the mouse-mat problem !!!.......I've had to try different surfaces to
work with my mouse.......two different 'proper' mats didn't work....& experimenting with various flat items
the one that seems to work very well is the 'Cork' underside of a table-place-mat ???????....this is in
combination with a 'Logitech' wireless mouse & USB receiver !!

So perhaps that's one avenue to explore before abandoning your standard mouse......Smile
macroman 11 15.3k England
8 Aug 2012 5:11PM
I don't use a mouse-mat, just the darkgeen mottled melamine worktop.
Works perfectly with my Logitech wireless mouse.
I've tried several mats, all had problems, plain A4 paper taped to the worktop is the next best, but it wears out too quickly and gets grubby.
Chrism8 8 745 14 England
8 Aug 2012 8:02PM
I purchased a Wacom Bamboo Pen ( 45 ) from Amazon on Sunday, delivered this afternoon, just had first play with it and tbh got on with it almost straight away, there's some adjustments to be made in the settings within PS which I picked up in a magazine article a couple of weks ago, but so far quite impressed, accuracy much better than a mouse in PS and I'm sure i can only get better with it in time.

I don't think it'll ever replace the mouse, at this stage certainly, but for edits in PS - really good. I read the feedback on amazon and avoided the " touch version " as they suggested the movements with the hand effected usage.

Cheers

Chris
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2012 1:15AM
I've never been a fan of the magic mouse for photo editing personally but if you're working on the Mac, the trackpad option works pretty well IMO and can be fairly intuitive and accurate with practice. There's a certain amount of personal taste in this kind of choice though - might be worth popping into a shop and giving some different options a try?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.