Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Move to Sony?

KingBee e2
8 333 2 Scotland
7 Feb 2013 2:24PM
Having sold some kit on eBay recently for relatively decent money I've decided to re-evaluate my current camera stock, and may now move on to sell one or all of the following:

a mint Canon 350d + 18-55 kit lens
an even more mint (if that's possible) Canon 17-40L
a mint Panasonic G3 with 14-45 zoom (metal mount)

That would leave me with a Lumix LX3 and a Canon 40D body which I hope to pair with either a Canon 24-105L or a Canon 15-85. I'm pretty set on the former, but there's no rush.

Why all this proposed dumping of kit? Frankly, I need a change. I need inspiration. I need a camera to excite and motivate.

As to this last, I was in a charity shop yesterday and picked up a brand-new (as in 2013) copy of David Busch's guide to the Sony Alpha SLT-A57 for the princely sum of £2.50 (originally priced at just under US$30, cheapest I could find on Amazon, £16: not bad, eh?) Now, I don't have a A57 but for £2.50 what did I care? Getting something like that for less than the price of a pint? No brainer. Then I read through some of Busch's book. Then I read the A57 reviews, on places like DP Review, and so on. It all sounded rather impressive – so much so, I thought: should I buy one, along with a decent Zeiss lens?

Following my recent eBay sales I now have something like £400 sitting in my PayPal account. If I flog all of the above-mentioned kit, based on completed sale prices on eBay that could conceivably net a further £800-900. Of course, if any of you lot are in the market for any of the above-mentioned kit, make me an offer ............

I'm not going to ask the rather facetious question, “now, if you you had that sort of loot at your disposal, what would you buy?” (although I suppose I just did!). No, I'm more interested in finding out if anyone who can be bothered to read this latest epic from me currently has a A57, and, if so, how do they find it? Or any of Sony's Alpha cameras, for that matter?

If I do end up with a A57, I swear to God it'll be the last camera I ever by. Honest. Maybe.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kodachrome 3 474
7 Feb 2013 4:11PM
I bought the A37, mainly because it was small and light, had the same sensor and processing engine as the A57 and above all 99% of the reviews raved about it. I also considered that there are some excellent KonicaMinolta AF lenses that work just fine on the A mount with all functions, these can be found cheaply on E Bay and other places. I have the KM 17-35 and Minolta 24-85 and thats me sorted for the majority of my photography. Yes you have the Zeiss options but if you are looking at a better quality standad kit zoom look at the Tamron 17-50. Kurt Munger thinks it is as good as the Zeiss.

I love the Sony colours and the EVF info is superb with large easily read symbols and lettering, which even leaves the Panny G series EVF lagging behind. DPReviews can be over critical at times and do have a bit of a reputation for making moutains out of Mole hills on minor niggles.

I love it, whether you do is a matter for you to decide.
Pete
mark2uk 8 739 8 England
7 Feb 2013 4:29PM
I'm a fan of the Sony A350 but its getting a bit tired now. Very tempted to go for the A57 but holding out until March / April to see if the A58 is going to be affordable.
Mark
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
7 Feb 2013 5:56PM

Quote:I need a camera to excite and motivate

That is called new toy syndrome.....;D

A camera is just a tool to capture the image/moment as seen by you the photographer, Getting excited or motivated by your tool, Rarely if ever produces photographs of any worth.

Images of worth come from within, Its the way it has always been....Smile
KingBee e2
8 333 2 Scotland
8 Feb 2013 8:50AM
You're right: I want a new toy. That's the problem with digital photography - there's always something new. I don't remember being so covetous in the days of film. And what I do with my tool is my business, thank you very much. Wink

On a (slightly) more serious note, I'm just finding that the more cameras and lenses I have, I tend to use each of them less. I have no idea why that should be, but if you check my portfolio you'll see my last upload was weeks ago. I just cannot be a*sed at the moment. I need to rationalise, re-group, re-evaluate, whatever. I don't need 5 bloody cameras (well, 4, now that I've just sold my Panny GF2). I need something to kick-start my interest. See, this is what happens when you retire and you have time on your hands. Wink
Steppenwolf 3 971
11 Feb 2013 9:39AM
I've got an A77 and I don't think I'll be getting another camera for a long time. I can't really find fault with it. The A57 is a bargain.
16 Feb 2013 3:06PM
I just upgraded from the a200 to the a37 yesterday thanks to the missus. Love it so far and think it's a cracking camera.
Would recommend it, especially as it was less than £300.
kodachrome 3 474
18 Feb 2013 4:26PM
I see the A57 replacement is an A58 rumoured to have a 20mp sensor. I guess there will be a similar upgrade with the A37 to A38. Not for me, my little A37 does all I want and I have no desire to go beyond 16mp. Best entry level DSLR camera by a mile that would also please the enthusiasts as well.
Pete
mark2uk 8 739 8 England
20 Feb 2013 11:23AM
Details for new A58 http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-alpha-a58-hands-on-first-look-preview-21387

Thats my next camera - time to replace the A350 Smile
BeccaG 7 1 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2013 2:22PM
That's serious G.A.S you have there KingBee Grin

I'd hang on a little if I were you and wait for the A58, from what I have read it's going to be a little beast of a camera and any issues that may of been there for the A57 should of been ironed out.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.