Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Moving ProShow and TPE to a new PC?

Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
28 Nov 2012 9:53PM
Hi, I have got myself a new laptop and want to install both Proshow Gold and The Photographer's Ephemeris on it. I have them both on my older laptop. Can I transfer these programs from one computer to the other because I have a lot of saved location settings on TPE that I'll lose if I re-download it. Similarly for Proshow I have pre configured slideshows with music etc embedded that I want to work with on my new laptop.
Thanks, Ian.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
28 Nov 2012 10:46PM
You can not transfer a program, They need to be re-installed on the new machine.

If you can locate the folders where the programs store custom data etc, You can save the folders then add them to the newly installed versions of the programs.

Most programs have a folder within their main folder ( In the " Programs " ) Folder on your C drive, I am not able to advise exactly where or what can be saved and added to a new install, As different programs use different locations and names for their various custom additions.

You could contact the software makers themselves, Explain what you are about and ask them what if anything can be saved and relocated on the new machine.....Or try and get them to talk you through it.......This is where customer service & support comes in......Smile

Hope its not to painful....Sad
Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
28 Nov 2012 10:52PM
Thanks Vince - I thought that may be the case, was just hoping for an easy route!
Ian.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
28 Nov 2012 11:24PM
provided your current version of ProShow Gold is less than a year old you can download from the net onto your new laptop & use your keycode to activate it foc.
Your pre-configured slideshows will be somewhere in the Photodex folder, normally on C drive. Presumably you know the names of them so look for them in Photodex/ProShowGold/......
Copy onto a memory stick then download onto your new laptop.
I always make a separate folder outside of Photodex to store my shows in so they are easily accessible for copying when needed.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
29 Nov 2012 10:05AM
Use the Windows transfer utility to transfer your data files and settings to your new computer before installing the software on it. That way, the fresh installation should pick up the settings and data files you transferred from the old computer.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2012 2:14PM
Do it with the util that LF suggests, but you might find it works better if you install the software first then copy over the settings and files. If you install the software later it could well overwrite your existing settings.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
29 Nov 2012 2:56PM

Quote:Use the Windows transfer utility

That's not to bad an idea, But as Chris says there is a risk of overwrites, The other factor is the OS and bit type of the old machine, Versus that of the new machine....!!!

To clarify, If the old machine ( Most Likely ) is a 32Bit OS, But the new machine is a 64Bit OS, Certain problems arise in that 64Bit machines have 2 " Programs Files Folders " ...!

One called Program Files, The other is called " Program Files (x86) ........!

The x86 version is where older 32bit programs go, But on a 32bit machine ie: the older one, There will have been just one Program Files folder.....Sad

This is where things can and very often do go horribly wrong......!!!!!!!!!!!

If the OS bit type of the older machine and the newer one are the same, There is less likelihood of this happening, But sure as the sun rises in the east, Your gonna wish you had a 64bit machine, Just for the higher RAM capability alone......Grin

Nothing is ever as straight forward as it might appear at first glance, That's why I hate computers along with a great many other gadgets.....Wink

Quote:Provided your current version of ProShow Gold is less than a year old you can download from the net onto your new laptop & use your keycode to activate it foc.
Your pre-configured slideshows will be somewhere in the Photodex folder, normally on C drive. Presumably you know the names of them so look for them in Photodex/ProShowGold/......
Copy onto a memory stick then download onto your new laptop.
I always make a separate folder outside of Photodex to store my shows in so they are easily accessible for copying when needed.

I don't think it matters what age your copy of Proshow is. It used to be possible to download earlier versions and have Proshow send you your serial number to activate them. I wonder though, if it's possible to transfer slideshows from one computer to another? All the source files and folders would need to be installed in the new computer with exactly the same addresses as in the previous computer, and I think you'd have to run the saved slideshows on the old computer, copy their addresses, then try to insert those addresses into Proshow on the new computer. Maybe you could upload them to Proshow's cloud, then download them into your new computer ? I'm not sure if you can even upload them like this without saving them (maybe I should say "Exporting" them as finished slideshows) but you did say you want to keep on working on them. Best of luck with it anyhow! Let us know what solutions you come up with! Smile
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
29 Nov 2012 10:29PM

Quote:I don't think it matters what age your copy of Proshow is

Keycode is only valid for a year.

Quote:I wonder though, if it's possible to transfer slideshows from one computer to another?

Yes if you use copy & paste.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2012 9:21AM
The easiest way to back up your slideshows would be to use ProShowGold's Collect Shows Utility. The show and all content are saved into the folder / memory stick / drive of your choice. Makes it a breeze to transfer those.

Quote:The easiest way to back up your slideshows would be to use ProShowGold's Collect Shows Utility. The show and all content are saved into the folder / memory stick / drive of your choice. Makes it a breeze to transfer those.

That's handy, save a lot of messing about. Smile
Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
1 Dec 2012 10:36PM
Thank you all very much guys - epz experts to the rescue as always!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.