Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Mozilla Thunderbird

lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
26 Sep 2012 5:55PM
I seek guidance from the wiser than I members of Epz

I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email on my laptop and having now purchased a desktop can I

Run the same account on both PC and Lappy?

If so can I somehow import all my messages on Lappy to PC and run the mail concurrently on both?

Many Thanks in advance

Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
26 Sep 2012 6:06PM
You need to change your server type from POP to IMAP (if it is currently POP)
Then all email is stored on your server and folder structures etc so they can be synced between computers. It's all explained quite well here Syncing computers with thunderbird
I have this set up and also have access on my iPhone all changes made appear in all locations.
26 Sep 2012 6:17PM
Many Thanks for That PeteSmile

Theres always an answer on Epz whatever the question from someone who has a greater knowledge and experienceWink
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
26 Sep 2012 6:22PM
No problem - if any of the info on the link doesn't make sense let me know and I'll see if I can help you through the steps Smile
26 Sep 2012 6:27PM

Quote:No problem - if any of the info on the link doesn't make sense let me know and I'll see if I can help you through the steps Smile

Now theres service!!

Cheers Pete...

Im off to work shortly and will certainly take you up on your kind offer if I encounter problems Smile
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
26 Sep 2012 10:29PM

Quote:Theres always an answer on Epz whatever the question from someone who has a greater knowledge and experience

...that's true Paul...unfortunately, those of us (me) who missed the brain queue don't understand it. Smile

....Mike
27 Oct 2012 7:56PM
Apologies for the delay in updating this threadSad

All is working fine now with the aid of the guidance aboveSmileWink

Heres goes....Windows 8 now!!Tongue
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
27 Oct 2012 9:10PM

Quote:

Heres goes....Windows 8 now!!Tongue

Don't do it!!!

At least not until, either:

A. You have to

or

B. It has been proven for at least a year.

Remember the Vista debacle.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
27 Oct 2012 9:21PM

Quote:Remember the Vista debacle.

Even '7' wasn't all plain sailing in its infancy.
A few people on here had problems with it.
In my case, the answer will be 'A' since I'm still (happily) using XP but can see the end in sight.
With regards to 'B,' I'll probably wait until about Christmas, when the worst of the bugs should have been ironed out but before the twenty five quid offer ends.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
27 Oct 2012 9:31PM
Just finished upgrading to 8 - really simple.
No problems so far and once you have pressed the desktop button it's almost exactly the same as Windows 7.
27 Oct 2012 9:46PM

Quote:Just finished upgrading to 8 - really simple.

Upgrade Chris, or fresh installation?
And what are the chances of saving the download so that I can re-install it again if it goes t**s up at some point? (Which it probably will.)
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
27 Oct 2012 9:53PM

Quote:Upgrade Chris, or fresh installation?

Upgrade from 7 - its very slickly done.

Quote:And what are the chances of saving the download so that I can re-install it again if it goes t**s up at some point?

It offers you the option to create the media during the install. So I think it should be OK - but I aint tried it
27 Oct 2012 9:56PM
Thanks Chris.
27 Oct 2012 10:00PM

Quote:
And what are the chances of saving the download so that I can re-install it again if it goes t**s up at some point? (Which it probably will.)

Ive just downloaded 8 pro and there is a driver missing on my usb 3 connections so Ive taken the option of leaving the update on my desktop...I can burn a disc also and boot it from that.

Any Worry Mongers should just download the upgrade assistant and follow it from thereWink

Microsoft have done a damn good job this time with leaving options open to the end userWink
27 Oct 2012 10:47PM

Quote:Ive just downloaded 8 pro and there is a driver missing on my usb 3 connections so Ive taken the option of leaving the update on my desktop...I can burn a disc also and boot it from that.

Thanks Lawbert,
The missing driver is the kind of thing that I'd expected and is the kind of thing that's causing me to hold fire for the moment.
Thanks for the info. re. burning a disc to boot from though. If it works, then that's what I shall be wanting to do.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.