Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mozilla Thunderbird

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 5:55 PM

I seek guidance from the wiser than I members of Epz

I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email on my laptop and having now purchased a desktop can I

Run the same account on both PC and Lappy?

If so can I somehow import all my messages on Lappy to PC and run the mail concurrently on both?

Many Thanks in advance

Paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Sep 2012 - 5:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 6:06 PM

You need to change your server type from POP to IMAP (if it is currently POP)
Then all email is stored on your server and folder structures etc so they can be synced between computers. It's all explained quite well here Syncing computers with thunderbird
I have this set up and also have access on my iPhone all changes made appear in all locations.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
lawbert
26 Sep 2012 - 6:17 PM

Many Thanks for That PeteSmile

Theres always an answer on Epz whatever the question from someone who has a greater knowledge and experienceWink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 6:22 PM

No problem - if any of the info on the link doesn't make sense let me know and I'll see if I can help you through the steps Smile

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
lawbert
26 Sep 2012 - 6:27 PM

Quote: No problem - if any of the info on the link doesn't make sense let me know and I'll see if I can help you through the steps Smile

Now theres service!!

Cheers Pete...

Im off to work shortly and will certainly take you up on your kind offer if I encounter problems Smile

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93496 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
26 Sep 2012 - 10:29 PM

Quote: Theres always an answer on Epz whatever the question from someone who has a greater knowledge and experience

...that's true Paul...unfortunately, those of us (me) who missed the brain queue don't understand it. Smile

....Mike

lawbert
27 Oct 2012 - 7:56 PM

Apologies for the delay in updating this threadSad

All is working fine now with the aid of the guidance aboveSmileWink

Heres goes....Windows 8 now!!Tongue

User_Removed
27 Oct 2012 - 9:10 PM

Quote:

Heres goes....Windows 8 now!!Tongue

Don't do it!!!

At least not until, either:

A. You have to

or

B. It has been proven for at least a year.

Remember the Vista debacle.

Jestertheclown
27 Oct 2012 - 9:21 PM

Quote: Remember the Vista debacle.

Even '7' wasn't all plain sailing in its infancy.
A few people on here had problems with it.
In my case, the answer will be 'A' since I'm still (happily) using XP but can see the end in sight.
With regards to 'B,' I'll probably wait until about Christmas, when the worst of the bugs should have been ironed out but before the twenty five quid offer ends.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2012 - 9:31 PM

Just finished upgrading to 8 - really simple.
No problems so far and once you have pressed the desktop button it's almost exactly the same as Windows 7.

Jestertheclown
27 Oct 2012 - 9:46 PM

Quote: Just finished upgrading to 8 - really simple.

Upgrade Chris, or fresh installation?
And what are the chances of saving the download so that I can re-install it again if it goes t**s up at some point? (Which it probably will.)

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2012 - 9:53 PM

Quote: Upgrade Chris, or fresh installation?

Upgrade from 7 - its very slickly done.

Quote: And what are the chances of saving the download so that I can re-install it again if it goes t**s up at some point?

It offers you the option to create the media during the install. So I think it should be OK - but I aint tried it

Jestertheclown
27 Oct 2012 - 9:56 PM

Thanks Chris.

lawbert
27 Oct 2012 - 10:00 PM

Quote:
And what are the chances of saving the download so that I can re-install it again if it goes t**s up at some point? (Which it probably will.)

Ive just downloaded 8 pro and there is a driver missing on my usb 3 connections so Ive taken the option of leaving the update on my desktop...I can burn a disc also and boot it from that.

Any Worry Mongers should just download the upgrade assistant and follow it from thereWink

Microsoft have done a damn good job this time with leaving options open to the end userWink

Jestertheclown
27 Oct 2012 - 10:47 PM

Quote: Ive just downloaded 8 pro and there is a driver missing on my usb 3 connections so Ive taken the option of leaving the update on my desktop...I can burn a disc also and boot it from that.

Thanks Lawbert,
The missing driver is the kind of thing that I'd expected and is the kind of thing that's causing me to hold fire for the moment.
Thanks for the info. re. burning a disc to boot from though. If it works, then that's what I shall be wanting to do.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.