Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

msn WINDOWS 8 driving me crazy

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 8283 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 6:50 PM

1-capture-.jpg dont think that worked but I have windows 8 and its driving me up the wall - I cant get rid of the windows library which shows empty - it did work thats a surprise if anybody can help me I will be most grateful. I am trying to import images from my ext hard drive and have spent most of today firstly waiting for the upload of large files then lost them when I removed the ext hard drive and the above is what I am left with
TIA Ann

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Oct 2013 - 6:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 7:04 PM

Quote: I cant get rid of the windows library which shows empty

In windows explorer, right click on the picture library and select properties:

21-10-2013-19-01-05.jpg

click on the I: drive and press the remove button:

21-10-2013-19-03-29.jpg

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 7:05 PM

Quote: I am trying to import images from my ext hard drive and have spent most of today firstly waiting for the upload of large files then lost them when I removed the ext hard drive and the above is what I am left with

What are you trying to import them in to ?

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
21 Oct 2013 - 7:26 PM

Ah.

Are you trying to import images from your external drive to your Lightroom catalogue?

No problem with this but, unless you ask Lightroom to copy the files to a new location, it won't.

It will simply import them to the catalogue, keeping them in their existing locations.

So, if you disconnect the external drive, Lightroom won't be able to access them.

It's the way Lightroom works - one of the great advantages of it. It never needs to move or alter any of your Raw files.

Jestertheclown
21 Oct 2013 - 8:21 PM

The libraries are a nightmare.
There have been complaints about them in various forums and there seems to be something of a consensus, with which I wholeheartedly agree, that they're best avoided at all costs.
In fact, if I knew how, I'd remove them altogether.
Now, I'm not sure whether you're trying to import from your external drive into Lightroom, as Gundog suggests, or whether that Lightroom icon is an old catalogue that's been stored by default in the 'pictures' folder in 'libraries.'
I recognise that scenario because I've suffered the same fate myself, many times, in fact.
The way around it, I've found, is to open the window that Chris has copied in his first example, then click on the arrowhead next to the 'documents' button, the one directly below 'libraries.'
That will open a drop down menu, the first option in which is another 'documents' folder. That folder is the one on your desktop and I'm guessing that that's the one that you want to save your images to from your external drive.
There's an arrowhead next to that one as well. Click on that and it will open up as the folder on your desktop does. Which shouldn't come as a shock, because it is the one on your desktop!
What I've done, and what you might want to do, is to set a path so that everything you import or download goes directly to the 'downloads' folder in that particular 'documents' folder; the desktop one.
If there is no 'downloads' folder, just create one.
It works for me, although it did take me a while to work out what was going on. In fact, Lightroom still exports its catalogues to the other 'My pictures' folder; the one in 'libraries' which I don't use.
It's a real nuisance but not insurmountable.
Hope this helps.

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 21 Oct 2013 - 8:23 PM
redsnappa
redsnappa  121923 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Oct 2013 - 8:47 PM

Quote: Lightroom still exports its catalogues to the other 'My pictures' folder; the one in 'libraries' which I don't use

That's not a lightroom or libraries issue that's a I don't know how to use lightroom issue.

Lightroom will export to wherever you tell it to, if you do not know how to change the export to folder Lightroom will export to the default pictures folder.

Jestertheclown
21 Oct 2013 - 8:51 PM

Quote: That's not a lightroom or libraries issue that's a I don't know how to use lightroom issue.

I'm perfectly capable of telling Lightroom where to export to.

I also know that if I don't tell it otherwise, it will default to that particular folder. I choose to have it that way.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 21 Oct 2013 - 8:51 PM
pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 8283 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 10:15 PM

Sorry folks I had to go out, it was (wait for it - my Lightroom class) yes I am trying to import from my ext hard drive into LR. I thought I had a good idea, I copied to a USB pen then tried to import, I can't seem to find another way, it's images I have taken this year and as yet not finished with them and I have loads - will have to try again tomorrow bit thanks for the illustration Chris that will help me greatly and to Bren for positive feed back, I think I am losing the plot somewhere, also my grateful thanks to all contributees. I hope I have better luck tomorrow.
Ann

Jestertheclown
21 Oct 2013 - 10:19 PM

Quote: yes I am trying to import from my ext hard drive into LR.

In that case, have you tried opening the folder (on your external drive) containing your images, then right click and 'open with,' then select Lightroom?

lobsterboy
21 Oct 2013 - 10:25 PM

If yu want to import from your external HDD to Lightroom all you should need to do is:
Select File Import, then click on the drive on the left and the folder below it (for example if my external drive was D: and the pictures in "my webs"):

21-10-2013-22-21-12.jpg

then make sure you have ADD selected at the top:

21-10-2013-22-23-36.jpg

Then click on import.
The pictures appear in your catalogue but stay on your external drive this way.

HTH
Chris

pluckyfilly
21 Oct 2013 - 11:06 PM

Tomorrow is another day and I shall have to try again, thanks Chris and Bren, it's late now and my head is in a whirl, I just need to try and forget it for tonight but I won't give up
Ann

pluckyfilly
21 Oct 2013 - 11:08 PM

I did actually try select file import but it said nothing thereSad

pluckyfilly
21 Oct 2013 - 11:26 PM

just thought I would try right click as Bren suggested but it doesnt give me the option to open in LRSad

pluckyfilly
22 Oct 2013 - 8:28 AM

If I could just get my images taken this year from my ext HD into my pics and MSN windows 8 it would be a start, I can build things up from there Grrrrrrr!

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
22 Oct 2013 - 9:27 AM

Still not sure what you are trying to do.

Why do you want to "move" your image files from your external drive? With Lightroom there is no need to.

If you really do want them all transferred from your external drive to your My Pictures folder in Windows, then the simplest (but not necessarily the most elegant) way is this:

Connect your external drive.

Open a window for that drive on your Windows desktop

Open a window for My Pictures on your Windows desktop.

Drag the top level folder containing your image files from the external drive window to the My Pictures window.

Import the files to the Lightroom catalogue from My Pictures using the "Add" option (rather than Copy).

You will then be able to view and process your images in Lightroom without the external drive being connected.

But again I ask, why would you want to, rather than simply having the external drive connected all the time?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.