Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

msn WINDOWS 8 driving me crazy

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014143 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2013 - 9:46 AM

Also what is MSN Windws 8? - is it somehow different from the normal Windows 8 ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Oct 2013 - 9:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 8283 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2013 - 12:42 PM

Chris I had windows 8 before the machine was wiped due to the scam I got involved in, I was perfectly happy with it after a frustrating weekend of getting used to the new look and the apps but I have an iPad and thought if I persevered it would be fine and it was until now, it seems to have a different look about it altogether and it's been a real headache trying to move these folders/files taken this year as I had not finished working on them. I have tried a few things this morning (nothing else is getting done and not many use windows 8 so it's not easy getting the help I need) it seems I may have to leave the Ext HD connected for the moment as when I remove it I get the message files cannot be found or are offline!
I am trying really hard and to cap it all I have totally lost a few of my precious favourites.

Gundog, this reply to Chris May also answer your question - grateful thanks to both of you.
Ann

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014143 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2013 - 2:47 PM

Quote: not many use windows 8 so it's not easy getting the help I need

Ann, You really shouldn't worry to much about it being Windows 8, once you click on the desktop tile you are in Windows 7 so any advice you can find for 7 applies to windows 8 desktop as well.

Quote: it seems I may have to leave the Ext HD connected for the moment as when I remove it I get the message files cannot be found or are offline!

Yeah - I would expect that as the files are actually stored on that external drive, so onece you disconnect it LR cannot see them. In LR5 you can use smart previews to fix that.
Do you want to move them off of that drive to your c drive or just be able to look at them when the drive is not connected ?

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 8283 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2013 - 6:11 PM

Quote: Ann, You really shouldn't worry to much about it being Windows 8, once you click on the desktop tile you are in Windows 7 so any advice you can find for 7 applies to windows 8 desktop as well.

thats not actually quite right - either that or I may have a different version it certainly is unlike the previous version I had and was more au fai with - I dont have LR 5 but tempted to upgrade now seeing from my LR class what it can do.
I actually want to continue editing as I had not finished doing that and once I have they can stay on the ext HD - when I am looking for something using 8 either its not there or not where I would expect to find it and sometimes I dont get options that have been suggested either by you or by Bren but I have made a little headway and have got my files/folders into my pics and into LR only thing again is, take the connectioin away for the HD and they go offline.
One thing you may be able to confirm or deny - some of the images in LR are smokey I dont think I have imported them correctly! most are ok or some are anyway and I dont know that I did anything differently in fact I dont think I did but things are looking better this end to some degree, however I may have lost some files I have searched the HD but cant find them - thanks for your help, very much appreciated.
sincerely grateful Ann

Jestertheclown
22 Oct 2013 - 9:35 PM

Quote: some of the images in LR are smokey I dont think I have imported them correctly!

If they look greyed out, as they say, once you've imported them, that implies (I think) that you've imported them once already, in which case, presumably, they'll be in a Lightroom catalogue folder somewhere. If that's the case, you won't be able to select them or open them in the 'develop' module.
Your originals, meantime, will still be untouched and unmoved.
To import them a second time, deliberately, you'll need to change their names so that Lightroom doesn't recognise them and thinks that they're new ones.

Going back to my idea of right clicking and 'open with;' if Lightroom's not in the list on the drop down, you need to click on the 'more options.' button, then the 'choose an app' button and delve into the program files on your C drive. Open the Lightroom folder and click on the the file that looks like a Lightroom icon, called 'Lightroom exe.'
Click on that, then the 'open' box and Lightroom will open and automatically import your images. If you have a folder full of images, just right click (etc.) on the first one. The rest will be imported automatically.
Remember that there's a tick box at the top of that drop down. If you leave it erm, ticked, the Lightroom or whatever you select, will become the default priogramme with which to open them. Untick it if you don't want that to happen.
I think I'm right in saying that doing that will also cause Lightroom to become included ion the drop down menu. I think.
Another way is to right click on an image and select 'properties.'
Where it says 'opens with,' click on 'change' and follow the procedure above to select Lightroom. You'll see the icon change to the Lightroom one and henceforth all of your raw files will automatically open in Lightroom by default when you double click on them. That's what I've done here.

Hope this helps.

Bren.

Edit: Have you installed a start button and a start menu? It really does become Windows 7 once you have.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 22 Oct 2013 - 9:39 PM
pluckyfilly
22 Oct 2013 - 10:00 PM

No start button or menu but I have apps that sort of deal with the menu - tried everything you suggest Bren - I did however find at the top of my pics a "move to" and a "copy to" which offers LR or/my pics as an option. I used the copy one as if you "move" the folder goes from my pics total! I am pretty sure I didn't copy twice any folders but admit I tried moving so many I could have got confused in the process. If I change the names surely LR won't find the images, I will look again tomorrow as I am tired I didn't sleep last night with this rattling around in my head but thanks I do appreciate your help.
Ann

Last Modified By pluckyfilly at 22 Oct 2013 - 10:03 PM
Jestertheclown
22 Oct 2013 - 10:17 PM

Quote: No start button or menu but I have apps that sort of deal with the menu

Ann, have a go at this..
I don't think that it will help your Lightroom problems but it might well help you in other ways.
It's dead easy to instal and set up and it makes 8 just like 7. If you decide you don't like it, you can simply uninstal or ignore it.

pluckyfilly
22 Oct 2013 - 11:37 PM

Thanks Bren I will give it a go
Ann

lobsterboy
23 Oct 2013 - 6:24 AM

Quote: I actually want to continue editing as I had not finished doing that and once I have they can stay on the ext HD -

I really think you are misunderstanding how LR works. There is no need to move the files, LR is happy to edit them on your ext HD as long as it is connected.
Any edits you make live in the LR catalog, not on the ext HD.

So from what you say with the smokey "greyed out" images, all you need to do is connect the drive and they should be available.
You can then edit them whilst the drive is attached, then disconnect when you are finished.

pluckyfilly
23 Oct 2013 - 8:43 AM

Thanks Chris - I don't fully understand LR and will admit that, it's why I am going to college now at a cost of 100+ there is so much to take in but I have a book I can refer to once college is finished! it seemed a good idea to take this course and I do pick up little bits of information each week.
I have sort of cracked in part the transferring of files to LR none are greyed out now and I didn't check all my collections but the few I did remain in situ when I remove the Ext HD but in my pics there are folders/images that when I remove the Ext HD disappear and if I reconnect the Ext HD reappear, I have 2000+ in LR and only 563 in my pics I don't know how or why that occurred.

Normally I import from a card reader and found that easy - with the Ext HD if I go import, all the folders on my Ext HD are shown on the left and I can choose the folders I want, if only I had known or understood this it would have been so easy BUT I have learnt something and that can't be bad. Whether or not they are still on my Ext goodness knows I don't think they are but no matter, I feel things are falling into place. I have a 2T hard drive hopefully they can sit comfortably in LR until such time as they become history.
In Windows 8 I also found at the very top of "my pics" there is an option to move or copy into LR or pics - I chose Copy as if you Move they disappear from my pics - only thing with doing this it didn't always work! The number of images in LR stayed the same, it was better using the import which I only found a bit too late but there you go.
Thanks again for your patience and help I really do appreciate it and it was good to know you were there in times of need.
Cheers Ann

Last Modified By pluckyfilly at 23 Oct 2013 - 8:45 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.