Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mundane and Safe World

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    sugarbird
    sugarbird  10223 forum posts South Africa
    21 Jan 2005 - 9:45 PM

Just read a very true and very funny article written by Marianne Thamm, one of our writers about the state of music one hears on the radio today, it all very safe, unchallenging, uninspired, multi-million selling, eg Josh Groban, Michael Buble even Norah Jones, its sweet, "nice" music. She say even very old white singers are going shamelessly retro, eg Rod Stewart, (who is looking more and more like an old Cape Town lesbian), has just brought out As Time Goes By. As, she says, only Eminem, in the last couple of years has come out with anything different and certainly "in yer face"! Is it a sign of the times, perhaps in art, photography too, do "safe", pictures that go with the couch images, or people pleasers, isn't it time people "took a chance" again or dared to be different, even if you fail, even I find myself doing safe images. What do you think, thanks..

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Jan 2005 - 9:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sugarbird
    21 Jan 2005 - 10:04 PM

This topic does relate to photography too if anyone is awake to read it LOL.

bpa
    bpa  101224 forum posts
    21 Jan 2005 - 10:10 PM

Yep read it, but I am Mr play it safe, I don't usually challenge anything, except authority! qSmile

sugarbird
    21 Jan 2005 - 10:27 PM

I also challenge authority, gets me into trouble these days though, thanks for the reply, PS I don't really think Rod Stewart is that old LOL Actually like his voice and his music but all rehashes of old songs!!

c_evans99
    c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2005 - 12:58 AM

Music is in a shocking state... look at how - in the UK at least - the 'music industry' has tried to packahe its boybands as 'punk'... it's an ever downward spiral, Busted were bad (will never forgive them for covering THAT song at the Brits), McFly were twee and bad, just wait till you see Noise Next Door... triplets with scarlet hair singing a 'punk' rewrite of a Neil Sedaka song, that just makes me want to vomit... Rod's not the first to do an album of standards, Brian Ferry did one a couple of years ago and I think standards are Westlife's latest project too... OMG... jazz lite is something the record companies seem to be flogging to death, I don't think any of the performers will have a lasting career.

Thank God for the Zutons!

As for being different - I try my best Smile

Ceri

Miles Herbert
    22 Jan 2005 - 1:02 AM

Funniest thing I've ever heard was Britney Spears cover version of the Rolling Stones song Satisfaction...you should hear it.

bpa
    bpa  101224 forum posts
    22 Jan 2005 - 1:22 AM

No I shouldn't! Wink

perplex
    perplex  9170 forum posts
    22 Jan 2005 - 3:18 AM

Quote: Funniest thing I've ever heard was Britney Spears cover version of the Rolling Stones song Satisfaction...you should hear it

My blood ran cold at the thought. I'd hate to think what kind of psychotic genocidal acts I'd perform if I actually listened to it

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    22 Jan 2005 - 3:22 AM

Safe images seem to get more attention in photo exhibitions.

You know, The Aaah factor of a perfectly average landscape, or the "Oh! isn't that pussy cute" approach.

Anything a bit of the rails is ignored or looked at with puzzlement.

I'm not referring to the 'arty' brigade, they have orgasms over things like a pile of old tyres, or a dead rat, but Joe/Joanna Public is more down to earth.

I put a close-up photo of a large red steam traction engine wheel in one of our exhibitions.
    I was a bit taken aback to hear one chap say "Why the hell has he take a photo of just the wheel, he should have taken the whole engine."

Obviously I'm not doing things right ;o)

Back to wide angle shots only from now on?????

rnomis
    rnomis  11 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2005 - 3:47 AM

Mind you, the same happens on this site from time to time. I posted a very arty shot of a tree and not even one click. OK, so it may have been crap, but it would have been nice for someone to at least let me know! Smile

keith selmes
    22 Jan 2005 - 4:26 AM

The thumbnail is crap. The bigger view looks pretty interesting, but I wonder who ever bothered looking ? A common epz problem.

u08mcb
    u08mcb  105817 forum posts
    22 Jan 2005 - 5:31 AM

If Marianne Thamm only gets her music from the radio I guess thats all true. I wouldn't put much faith in the words of somebody who considers Eminem to be the only different guy out there.

c_evans99
    c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2005 - 6:20 AM

I blame karaoke

sugarbird
    22 Jan 2005 - 9:11 AM

I suppose she was talking about what is played on radio stations predominately, due to the price of CD's here, sometimes that is the only way to listen to new stuff and we don't have very good stuff on most of the stations, overseas there is much more choice, there is some very good local African (world) music over here though, not mainstream, but also agree with the other comment on "arty farty" photographic work and paintings, just saw a photo for sale of a "pebble" for R12 000, it was really a mundane image, seen better pebble shots on this site, thanks for all the comments, to me the worst part of that mundane music is that you seem to find yourself knowing all the words and singing along to them LOL

jimbo_t
    jimbo_t  11959 forum posts England
    22 Jan 2005 - 1:44 PM

Recently bought the latest albums (debuts in fact) by The Zutons and a cracking new band called Kasabian, they look like Oasis and sound like the Stone Roses would if they were still going!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't listen to the radio anymore, numbs the brain............. a bit like ITV!
    Photography wise I'm still learning the art so apologise if I sometimes take cliche shots, but they are new to me.
    Jim

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.