Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Mundane and Safe World

sugarbird 10 223 South Africa
21 Jan 2005 9:45PM
Just read a very true and very funny article written by Marianne Thamm, one of our writers about the state of music one hears on the radio today, it all very safe, unchallenging, uninspired, multi-million selling, eg Josh Groban, Michael Buble even Norah Jones, its sweet, "nice" music. She say even very old white singers are going shamelessly retro, eg Rod Stewart, (who is looking more and more like an old Cape Town lesbian), has just brought out As Time Goes By. As, she says, only Eminem, in the last couple of years has come out with anything different and certainly "in yer face"! Is it a sign of the times, perhaps in art, photography too, do "safe", pictures that go with the couch images, or people pleasers, isn't it time people "took a chance" again or dared to be different, even if you fail, even I find myself doing safe images. What do you think, thanks..

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

21 Jan 2005 10:04PM
This topic does relate to photography too if anyone is awake to read it LOL.
bpa 10 1.2k
21 Jan 2005 10:10PM
Yep read it, but I am Mr play it safe, I don't usually challenge anything, except authority! qSmile
21 Jan 2005 10:27PM
I also challenge authority, gets me into trouble these days though, thanks for the reply, PS I don't really think Rod Stewart is that old LOL Actually like his voice and his music but all rehashes of old songs!!
c_evans99 11 7.0k 1 Wales
22 Jan 2005 12:58AM
Music is in a shocking state... look at how - in the UK at least - the 'music industry' has tried to packahe its boybands as 'punk'... it's an ever downward spiral, Busted were bad (will never forgive them for covering THAT song at the Brits), McFly were twee and bad, just wait till you see Noise Next Door... triplets with scarlet hair singing a 'punk' rewrite of a Neil Sedaka song, that just makes me want to vomit... Rod's not the first to do an album of standards, Brian Ferry did one a couple of years ago and I think standards are Westlife's latest project too... OMG... jazz lite is something the record companies seem to be flogging to death, I don't think any of the performers will have a lasting career.

Thank God for the Zutons!

As for being different - I try my best Smile

Ceri
Miles Herbert 12 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2005 1:02AM
Funniest thing I've ever heard was Britney Spears cover version of the Rolling Stones song Satisfaction...you should hear it.
bpa 10 1.2k
22 Jan 2005 1:22AM
No I shouldn't! Wink
perplex 10 170
22 Jan 2005 3:18AM

Quote:Funniest thing I've ever heard was Britney Spears cover version of the Rolling Stones song Satisfaction...you should hear it

My blood ran cold at the thought. I'd hate to think what kind of psychotic genocidal acts I'd perform if I actually listened to it
macroman 11 15.3k England
22 Jan 2005 3:22AM
Safe images seem to get more attention in photo exhibitions.

You know, The Aaah factor of a perfectly average landscape, or the "Oh! isn't that pussy cute" approach.

Anything a bit of the rails is ignored or looked at with puzzlement.

I'm not referring to the 'arty' brigade, they have orgasms over things like a pile of old tyres, or a dead rat, but Joe/Joanna Public is more down to earth.

I put a close-up photo of a large red steam traction engine wheel in one of our exhibitions.
I was a bit taken aback to hear one chap say "Why the hell has he take a photo of just the wheel, he should have taken the whole engine."

Obviously I'm not doing things right ;o)

Back to wide angle shots only from now on?????
rnomis 11 1 1 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2005 3:47AM
Mind you, the same happens on this site from time to time. I posted a very arty shot of a tree and not even one click. OK, so it may have been crap, but it would have been nice for someone to at least let me know! Smile
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2005 4:26AM
The thumbnail is crap. The bigger view looks pretty interesting, but I wonder who ever bothered looking ? A common epz problem.
u08mcb 10 5.8k
22 Jan 2005 5:31AM
If Marianne Thamm only gets her music from the radio I guess thats all true. I wouldn't put much faith in the words of somebody who considers Eminem to be the only different guy out there.
c_evans99 11 7.0k 1 Wales
22 Jan 2005 6:20AM
I blame karaoke
22 Jan 2005 9:11AM
I suppose she was talking about what is played on radio stations predominately, due to the price of CD's here, sometimes that is the only way to listen to new stuff and we don't have very good stuff on most of the stations, overseas there is much more choice, there is some very good local African (world) music over here though, not mainstream, but also agree with the other comment on "arty farty" photographic work and paintings, just saw a photo for sale of a "pebble" for R12 000, it was really a mundane image, seen better pebble shots on this site, thanks for all the comments, to me the worst part of that mundane music is that you seem to find yourself knowing all the words and singing along to them LOL
jimbo_t 11 959 England
22 Jan 2005 1:44PM
Recently bought the latest albums (debuts in fact) by The Zutons and a cracking new band called Kasabian, they look like Oasis and sound like the Stone Roses would if they were still going!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't listen to the radio anymore, numbs the brain............. a bit like ITV!
Photography wise I'm still learning the art so apologise if I sometimes take cliche shots, but they are new to me.
Jim

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.