Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Murdered Police Officers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Jestertheclown
19 Sep 2012 - 9:32 PM

Quote: I fail to understand the claim that the police are treated any differently...

I agree with Mike.

I've said this before, when these threads have headed into 'police bashing' territory and I dare say I shall say it again:

No-one taking part in this thread has any idea of what really goes on.

We're all fed information by the media and make our minds up, rightly or otherwise, on the strength of it.

Are you prepared to believe what the media tell you?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Sep 2012 - 9:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

col.campbell
19 Sep 2012 - 9:49 PM

Quote: What? Because I disagreed with deaths in custody being likened to cold-blooded murder?
so what are you saying, losing a loved one who was in custody isnt as bad...

If you're at all interested in what I have to say, read my words instead of making it up.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 9:50 PM

Quote: We're all fed information by the media

Exactly. The media who tend to be pro-police, pro-establishment and are more inclined treat numerous deaths in police custody or after contact with police as "just one of those things". We generally don't even hear about them. But 1433 since 1990 is rather a lot. The Ian Tomlinson case is rare because it was caught on camera: otherwise that too would have been a non-event.

Whereas the (mercifully) rare deaths of police officers are treated as a national tragedy to dominate the headlines and broadcasts for days.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 10:13 PM

Quote: Whereas the (mercifully) rare deaths of police officers are treated as a national tragedy to dominate the headlines and broadcasts for days.

Those two women went to a reported crime unarmed, nobody no matter what job they do should have to endure the cold blooded execution they went through, and no family should have to see their loved ones go to work for that to happen.

Had that been any job where people are executed in the street, with hand gradade thrown, it too would have dominated the news.

monstersnowman
19 Sep 2012 - 10:20 PM

Quote: We're all fed information by the media

Exactly. The media who tend to be pro-police, pro-establishment and are more inclined treat numerous deaths in police custody or after contact with police as "just one of those things". We generally don't even hear about them. But 1433 since 1990 is rather a lot. The Ian Tomlinson case is rare because it was caught on camera: otherwise that too would have been a non-event.

Whereas the (mercifully) rare deaths of police officers are treated as a national tragedy to dominate the headlines and broadcasts for days.

Carabosse .. It is your opinion that the media tend to be pro- police .. I would say the opposite. I say the media go for the jugular when the see a chance to sensationalise or find controversy involving the police.

You state 1433 deaths ... But you are posting a figure without saying how the figure is made up of. It just makes a good shocking number to hang your opinion on without having to actually put some meat on the bones of the stats because the actual details don't make as good reading for the average police basher.

I'll start you off with one ... 1433 is not deaths at the hands of the police (I know u didn't directly say it , but you know that is what people will infer). It is made up of deaths involving car chase with police, shootings by police, in custody, or RTA involving the police. The majority of deaths in custody were as a result of natural causes, suicide or overdose ... Not to mention the fourth largest being injuries sustained prior to being detained by police. That figure is an often used figure, rolled out to convince the dimmer whittled amongst us who only see it as being deaths at the hands of police in custody - probably from some form of violence ..... It's as lazy a quote as Thatcher's 'no such thing as society' quote.

monstersnowman
19 Sep 2012 - 10:27 PM

Quote: you dont become a top politician if you are not willing to kill
What a crass comment.
dont be so naive. our government along with the USA start wars under false pretenses, causing thousands of deaths. they are still bombing civilians in Syria. how many politicians have resigned in disgust. WAKE UP and stop listening to the drivel spouted by the bbc and sky

You don't get to be a good old, brave British soldier, if you aren't willing to bomb, murder, maim and hideously mutilate people in their own country with destructive weapons on an unimaginable scale just because you are told to and given a small wage in return ......

Ok the above statement is pretty harsh but it is just the same as saying what was said about becoming a top politician and being prepared to kill .....

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012599 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 10:32 PM

Quote: Those two women went to a reported crime unarmed, nobody no matter what job they do should have to endure the cold blooded execution they went through, and no family should have to see their loved ones go to work for that to happen.

And thats why it should dominate the media because if it doesnt humanity is in a fair bit of trouble.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315158 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 10:34 PM

Just seen the news, leaves me feeling sick.

PaulSR
PaulSR  8511 forum posts England
19 Sep 2012 - 11:04 PM

Quote: You don't get to be a good old, brave British soldier, if you aren't willing to bomb, murder, maim and hideously mutilate people in their own country with destructive weapons on an unimaginable scale just because you are told to and given a small wage in return ......

Ok the above statement is pretty harsh but it is just the same as saying what was said about becoming a top politician and being prepared to kill .....

your statement wasnt harsh, it was spot on. if you werent prepared to kill, then you wouldnt become a soldier in the first place

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315158 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 11:07 PM

Quote: if you werent prepared to kill, then you wouldnt become a soldier in the first place

What a load of tosh Sad

PaulSR
19 Sep 2012 - 11:18 PM

Quote: The PC involved in Ian Tomlinson's death was tried like anyone else. The prosecution failed to show he was responsible for Mr Tomlinson's death, again like other cases which make high-profile headlines. So I fail to understand the claim that the police are treated any differently...

he got off scott free, even though video proof showed him assaulting an innocent passer by, by hitting him from behind with a baton and then shoving him to the ground while his hands were in his pockets so he couldnt protect himself when he landed. and you say he wasnt treated any different. What kind of policeman would behave like this in the first place, shouldnt we expect better from the people who are supposed to protect us. he had a history of this kind of behaviour but still kept his job. what does this say about the police force in general. thank god for video evidence

PaulSR
19 Sep 2012 - 11:38 PM

Quote: if you werent prepared to kill, then you wouldnt become a soldier in the first place

What a load of tosh Sad

An army full of conscientious objectors wouldnt be much use now would it Paul. Jeeez

monstersnowman
19 Sep 2012 - 11:50 PM

Quote:
he got off scott free, even though video proof showed him assaulting an innocent passer by, by hitting him from behind with a baton and then shoving him to the ground while his hands were in his pockets so he couldnt protect himself when he landed. and you say he wasnt treated any different. What kind of policeman would behave like this in the first place, shouldnt we expect better from the people who are supposed to protect us. he had a history of this kind of behaviour but still kept his job. what does this say about the police force in general. thank god for video evidence

He was found innocent by '12 good men and true' made up of members of the public whose knowledge of the case outweighs yours by a multiple that is so large we cannot really work it out - however you and many others still wish to translate and apply the law based on your own beliefs albeit without hardly any necessary knowledge at all and to support or disregard our entire justice system on the flimsy basis of whether it comes to the verdict you want it to.

Whether i support PC Harwood or not I much prefer the present justice system than the one you seem to have in mind that relies on what you think from a news report rather than jury trial of massive detailed expert evidence presented by learned men. The push or baton strike did happen but do not in any way amount to manslaughter by any definition of the offence - it's not that simple. I have no idea if, subsequent to Harwood's court verdict of not guilty, the Met could dismiss him without being taken to court for unfair dismissal and his previous record in other forces is nothing to do with the Met - they can't take it into consideration. He has the protection of employment law just like you or I. I have no doubt the Met don't relish the negative PR revolving around PC Harwood and would be pleased if he was gone and had no further damaging association with them.

PaulSR
20 Sep 2012 - 12:09 AM

Quote: The push or baton strike did happen but do not in any way amount to manslaughter by any definition of the offence - it's not that simple.

the medical report stated that Tomlinson died from his injuries he suffered from the push to the ground. I do apologise that my concern for the death of an INNOCENT man, and the suffering of his family has angered you so much.
by the way, scumbag harwood has been sacked but keeps his pension and wont be working for any police force again.

PaulSR
20 Sep 2012 - 12:20 AM

Quote: Whether i support PC Harwood or not

you support him.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.