Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Murdered Police Officers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 11:50 AM

Quote: you misunderstood my last comment. the point i was trying to make was that most people will have some of those charachteristics, so a jury full of people will contain some people like that, and they will decide your fate. i cant believe a jury chosen at random will contain all honest, unbiased, truthful people. i did not mean to have a go at you, sometimes words in print cant convey the nature in which they were written.

No, you cannot guarantee that members of the jury will not be biased. That is why there is 12 and that is why you need a majority verdict - in some serious crimes you need an unanimous verdict.

From your comments I would hate to be a copper facing trial with you in the jury because you certainly seem to have a bias.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Sep 2012 - 11:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  61672 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Sep 2012 - 12:36 PM

Quote: And the correct one - 3) Some are :0)

Sure - but I was summing up (jokily) the views in this thread

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 12:48 PM

Quote: you can see 75% are down to natural causes

One of those "Yeah, right!" things? Wink

keith selmes
21 Sep 2012 - 1:21 PM

Quote: At least one person a week dies in police custody. When it happens it almost never merit a mention in the media: that's the point.

Every week ? Hardly news then is it ? Unless it somehow fits in whatever screwball version of reality the editors are dishing up that week.

keith selmes
21 Sep 2012 - 1:27 PM

Quote: Just dipping in to give some clarity and actual knowledge

Thank you.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 1:43 PM

It would appear CB would prefer to live in an anarchic state - imagine no police, no prisons, no checks and balances, free to do what you want with whoever you want, drive how you want, at whatever speed you want.

...oh wait with people like Cregan, Huntley, Brady, Shipman, the Wests, Sutcliffe etc, etc free to roam the streets, not my idea of a free society.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 3:24 PM

Quote: It would appear CB would prefer to live in an anarchic state

I may have mentioned it before but I will mention it again. My late father was a police officer for 14 years (in my own formative years in fact). He literally put his life on the line against armed felons; the medal he was awarded by the Queen, for his bravery, is one of my treasured possessions. Smile

I have spent virtually the whole of my own working life involved with the law............ and I don't mean behind bars! Grin

Do I sound like the sort of chap who wants anarchy? But I do think the police, because of the powers we give them, have to be held to a VERY high standard. When those standards slip, as I believe they do more often than pure statistics would have us think, we should be absolutely outraged. But we aren't. That is simply my point.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 3:32 PM

But surely outrage should be based on accurate facts, not tabloid-like headline numbers that do not bear much scrutiny?

simont
simont  102247 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 3:33 PM

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Smile

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 3:36 PM

Quote: But surely outrage should be based on accurate facts, not tabloid-like headline numbers that do not bear much scrutiny?

Oh come on, where is the fun in that ? If we worked on that principle the newspapers would have nothing to write...

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 3:55 PM

I'm not arguing that the Police don't have problems, the met is riddled with "in-consistancies" Institutional racism, freud (I went to school with a Det Sgt, now serving time for a multi million pound freud), miscarriages of justice etc, etc. And the Hillsborough cover up was a National disgrace - but that took place a generation ago and much has changed in the interveining years, but any organisation is made up of human beings we all have feelings, we all react different under pressure - we all make mistakes - like everywhere else in society there will be the good and bad. I'm not saying this shouldn't be addressed - of course it should. By the very nature of their business they deal with the dreggs of society, and dealing with the worst aspects of life - I for one wouldn't want to be the first at the scene of a fatal RTA, or give news to a father/mother that their kid has been killed. How do you deal with attempted assaults, without using self defence?In such times there will be injuries and even occasionally deaths.

But the problem I have is that this thread was started about 2 completely innocent WPC's mown down in cold blood, I dont think this should have been the thread to vent ones anti-establishment feelings. I for one feel for the loved ones they have left behind.

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Sep 2012 - 4:03 PM

Death penalty NO its too good for the likes of "mr" Cregan, or was that crektin.
For these "people" life imprisonment should be just that LIFE.
Routinely arm the police BIG NO even the police themselves do not want this
Its still very rare in the UK for a person to serve a "FULL LIFE" tarrif, most murderers are released from there life sentence in prison on average at about 10-15 years after conviction
Stephen aka puertouk its about time you came back from Tenerife and visited some of Her Majesties Hotels (Prisons).
1x they are not, having served many years in the prison service I can assure you they are now 3X at least.
I could show you prisons with swimming pools, saunas, jacuzzis, sky in every cell, even summer barbeques for friends and family.
It is definetly no deterent it cant be as we are locking up more and more each year.

keith selmes
21 Sep 2012 - 4:45 PM

freud ? is that a kybard error ?

keith selmes
21 Sep 2012 - 4:47 PM

Quote: the newspapers would have nothing to write...

I don't mind if the free newspaper has no writing in it, just so long as it has pages I can put down on the floor when painting the skirting board.

thewilliam
22 Sep 2012 - 12:22 AM

In the good old days, hanging was for disposal rather than punishment. At least there wasn't any recidivism.

In France, breaking on the wheel was the penalty for serious offences and that really was a punishment. But even with that sort of deterrent, plenty of people committed crimes.

The pendulum does seem to have swung the other way and too many offenders now get off lightly.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.