Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Murray vs Djokavic - I say .......he's finally gone and done it

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2013 - 10:37 PM

I can't understand how 3-0 isn't an emphatic victory, he took more sets from Djokovic than everyone else put together. He holds 2 out of the 4 majors, for once celebrate an outstanding performance. This in an era when the top 4 guys are acclaimed as the best ever to play the sport (not sure on that myself, but..). Hopefully over the next 2-3 years he will add to his tally.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jul 2013 - 10:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45782 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2013 - 10:43 PM

'Dominate' is probably the wrong word, but at the crucial times he played the better tennis. If he had dominated Djoko I would have been amazed, but that probably makes his victory all the better. So he has 2 majors, both by beating Djoko....I wonder who the 'runner up' is?

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014217 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2013 - 11:09 PM

Just keeping his emotions in check was a major accomplishment. He was successful in keeping the ball away from Djokovic's forehand, playing as much as possible to his backhand. All the same, some of the rallies were spectacular, Andy kept chasing everything down, shots that I watched other players give up on in this tournament, including Delpotro. One thing Lendl has done for Murray is get him in better shape than he's ever been in before.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 7 Jul 2013 - 11:10 PM
parallax
parallax e2 Member 4106 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
7 Jul 2013 - 11:31 PM

Pity A Salmon tried to get in on the act, looking for political capital. Doesn't look like he runs round a tennis court much.

Lendl's done a great job in giving him a better and more proactive gameplan.

Could well be more to follow.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45782 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2013 - 11:34 PM

I used to feel that Murray was too intense - never 'switching off' and put too much pressure on himself. Since lendl came on board he seems to regulate his intensity much better and use that energy constructively and even use the energy of the crowd. He was always one of the best strokeplayers out there and now he has added a mental game. A great achievement.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 5:02 AM

I thought he played a blinder, he just seem to want it that much more than his opponent, which was why he was making returns that in all honesty most players couldn't. This showed up in the actual statistics of the match concerning how far he had run in comparison.......Fair play to him I say.

IMHO the OP hasn't a bloody clue what he's talking about, but there you go we all have our own opinions.........

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103959 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 6:33 AM

Quote: "I'll be supporting anyone but England."

He won't want to pick up his knighthood from the Queen then......GrinGrinGrin

StrayCat
8 Jul 2013 - 7:04 AM

Yes Ade, that's what I meant by Murray not giving up on any of Djokavic's difficult shots. Some of the shots that he ran down were certain points for his opponent in other matches; you could see the look of amazement on Djoko's face, and surprise at times that the ball was coming back over the net.

StrayCat
8 Jul 2013 - 7:05 AM

Quote: He won't want to pick up his knighthood from the Queen then

I wonder will he get his before Rod Stewart gets his?Smile

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 8 Jul 2013 - 8:48 AM
jondf
jondf  72473 forum posts
8 Jul 2013 - 7:23 AM

Quote: Anyway whatever he is he is a winner well done Andy Murray

Well, I did say good for him and meant it. Perhaps he can move on from this too long-awaited success and win it a few more times but it's unlikely to be in the way Federer (a true and outstanding champion in every sense) did in 2012.

And do have a thought for Djokavic. Contending yesterday with crowd pressure must have been a anxiety provoking experience in that cauldron of high expectation.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53999 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 7:57 AM

Yippee!!! Fantastic game - which is not always the case in finals. I didn't think anything could trump the del Potro and Djokavic semi, but Andy really won this by sheer skill and stamina and the play was magnificent. All credit to Djokavic who gave as good as he got, but he had an extra opponent, the crowd. He was very gracious in defeat and will be back, no doubt about it. But even if it's only for one time, Andy Murray is Wimbledon Champion, and nothing can take that achievement away from him. I think it's marvellous.
Smile

mikehit
8 Jul 2013 - 9:12 AM

Quote: but it's unlikely to be in the way Federer (a true and outstanding champion in every sense) did in 2012.

Not sure what you mean by that, jondf.
(And crowd pressure was not an issue in last year's US Open).

IMO too many people have criticised Murray for not being as good as Federer which is rather like saying that Porsche is not a good car because it isn't a Bugatti Veron.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109977 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 9:49 AM

Quote: Sep 11, 2012 - Andy Murray ends Britain's 76-year wait for a male Grand Slam singles champion with victory over Novak Djokovic in the US Open final.

Quote: Andy Murray wins London 2012 Olympics gold with straight-sets ...

Quote: Andy Murray beats Novak Djokovic to win Wimbledon

does one need to say more?

I would suggest that all the critics can really criticise him for is

- being British
- being slow to reach his potential
- proving them wrong when they tried to talk him down for the previous two points

thewilliam
8 Jul 2013 - 10:11 AM

On the "Today" programme, Alex Salmond pointed out that the last Scottish winner had been in the 1890s.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53999 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 10:24 AM

Has there ever been a Welsh winner?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.