Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Murray vs Djokavic - I say .......he's finally gone and done it

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 10:30 AM

Nope.
There was one Irishman (Willoughby Hamilton) who won it in 1890 (we looked this up yesterday Smile)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jul 2013 - 10:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53999 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 10:56 AM

So, just the Welsh to go then and we'll have the full set. Grin

RonnieAG
RonnieAG e2 Member 4133 forum postsRonnieAG vcard Scotland110 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 10:59 AM

Let us just celebrate his marvellous achievement after years of gruelling training, both physical and mental.
Winning against the world No. 1 in three straight sets surely says it all.
Well done, Andy, you have done us all proud.
Ronnie.

lemmy
lemmy  61676 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Jul 2013 - 12:19 PM

Quote: Here here Actually CB, I believe you misspelt twit

That's Hear hear, actually Wink

Two people go out on a tennis court and play. No-one can argue with a straight sets win and the loser made no excuses himself. The match wasn't quite as one sided as Murray's 3 set win might imply (thank goodness, otherwise what a bore). But in the end through sheer hard work both physically and mentally, Murray achieved an ambition. You'd need to be pretty embittered not to feel good for him.

One thing good about a tennis win being discussed here rather than a photo competition win - no-one messages to tell you how they could have done beter Tongue

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 12:35 PM

Quote: So, just the Welsh to go then and we'll have the full set.

That'll be the day, the welsh haven't won bugger all for ages.......GrinGrinGrinGrin

Guess whose now hiding behind the settee waiting for the torrent of racist abuse about to fly in my general direction Tongue

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109967 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 1:23 PM

One could argue it was the Welsh (disguised as the Lions) that beat the Aussies Ade Smile

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 92218 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 1:37 PM

Quote: And do have a thought for Djokavic. Contending yesterday with crowd pressure must have been a anxiety provoking experience in that cauldron of high expectation.

Disagree completely - I would have thought Murray felt most pressure because he knew this was the first real chance he had of winning the title - Djokovic had already won a couple of years back.
Murray has beat Federer when he won the Olympic gold medal last year.
O.K. we could argue that if Nadal hadn't been knocked out earlier on at Wimbledon this year, Murray would have had a tougher time to claim the championship title but then - who knows - Djokovic might well have eliminated Nadal if Nadal had reached the semi-final.
Surely Djokovic was as tough an opponent as anyone to beat. If Djokovic had made an early exit like the other top players, I might have agreed there's something in what you say - but hey! it's only tennis. Wink

jondf
jondf  72473 forum posts
8 Jul 2013 - 2:26 PM

Can't understand how so many people can be so misguided and just plain wrong in the face of my being so right (((Tongue)))

And what about the calamity after the game? Hardly the done thing for a champion to go climbing all over paying customers to dispense hugs before receiving the winner's medal. And then to 'forget' to hug one's own mother. Did he forget or has something dawned on him? We'll find out next year I expect Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53999 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 2:30 PM

GrinGrinGrin He forgot, but perhaps he was making a point. Wink

franken
franken e2 Member 112922 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 2:44 PM

Quote: Can't understand how so many people can be so misguided and just plain wrong in the face of my being so right ((()))

I don't think they're the ones to be misguided!! SmileSmileSmile

monstersnowman

Quote: Disgusted to hear him being interviewed and refer to himself as "British" (pandering to the English media and his Wimbledon chums) then even worse was BBC Sports Editor David Bond on the news bulletin refer to his win as being "right up there along with England's win in the 1966 World Cup Finals"........truly stomach-churning stuff for every full-blooded Scot, for which the BBC has received my complaint.

That every sporting triumph should reference 1966 is a cliché of epic proportions that demeans the position of Sports Editor of an international broadcaster. The man should be sacked...

And this attitude is EXACTLY what perpetuates the negative issues surrounding Murray long after his stupid comments about supporting anyone other than England (paraphrasing) has been forgotten.

Geoffphoto
8 Jul 2013 - 4:14 PM

What is this tennis game anyway !!!! Bring on the game against Southend United on the 3rd of August for some real sport !

COYG !!!!!! Grin

lemmy
8 Jul 2013 - 4:18 PM

There is a saying, that no matter what it is, someone somewhere will take it too seriously.

Murray played a good game against a good opponent. But whatever, it is just a game of tennis. The people here claiming it was a Scottish win, a British win or a Muslim Lesbian Women's Collective win for that matter, YOU didn't win it Murray did. YOU sat in your armchairs and watched it on the tele. It has nothing to do with you, you did nothing for it, you have no right to claim it for anyone.

Murray trained in Spain and lives in London, the trainer who helped him to success was born in the then Czechoslovakia and is now an American citizen.

The only person who can claim this win is Murray himself which is as it should be. Whether he would consider it a win for Spain, London Scotland or the United States only he can know but a mix of all of them, I would guess.

If I sound anti-Scottish, I am certainly not. If I were able to vote in the referendum I would put my tick squarely in the 'Yes' to independence box.

As Oscar Wilde remarked, nationalism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

chris.maddock
8 Jul 2013 - 5:04 PM

Quote: If I sound anti-Scottish, I am certainly not. If I were able to vote in the referendum I would put my tick squarely in the 'Yes' to independence box.

Even if the Scots do vote for, and get, independence surely they'll still be British - unless Salmond plans on cutting along the dotted line at the border and towing Scotland off somewhere else they will still be inhabitants of the geographic region called the British Isles Tongue

lemmy
8 Jul 2013 - 5:15 PM

Quote: they will still be inhabitants of the geographic region called the British Isles

Yes but British has come to mean English in practise. When I was asked my nationality I used to answer British but since the Scottish and Welsh parliaments came into being, I've thought of myself as English. That's quite common now, I think.

Ask a Scot their nationality and, whether they favour independence or not, they'll mostly answer Scottish. Ditto Welsh.

My admiration for Murray, such as it is, is entirely for his tennis ability. He could be Burmese for all I care.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.