Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Music you didn't like years ago and still don't

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 92218 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2012 - 6:35 PM

Quote: If we hadn't had Jazz we wouldn't have the large percentage of current music.

Absolutely! I love jazz - but I find myself being very selective. I find much jazz is unaccessible while other jazz is quite sublime. I think you have to compartmentalize the different strands of jazz - and listen to them in a different mode, according to your mood.
I prefer mainstream jazz i.e. the late great Humphrey Lyttelton to way-out Modern jazz.

Quote: I can just about cope with Ragtime or really old trad jazz but I would run screaming from the room whilst ramming knitting needles into my ears if I ever heard 'modern jazz' and scat would just push me right over the edge.

I have this theory that ladies are not that keen on listening to jazz. It's more of a male thing. Obviously, there are plenty of notable exceptions - with loads of superb female performers whether sax players - at least three come to mind that played in Humph's band - or vocalists - Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, Annie Ross, etc. etc. etc.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 May 2012 - 6:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2012 - 7:11 PM

Quote: Anything by Gracie Fields! Aaarrgghhh!!

I always thought that Gracie combined with George Formby were the reason we won the war. The pair of them would want to make anyone kill.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 17 May 2012 - 7:12 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2012 - 7:22 PM

Jazz or country, the old school stuff was never my thing.

However the more modern stuff seems palatable.

What would have happened to the 80`s without Jazz Smile

Some of the rock cross over country is kind of cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5KF4dKq-6I

Fishnet
Fishnet  94976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2012 - 7:47 PM

Quote: Anything by Gracie Fields! Aaarrgghhh!!

I always thought that Gracie combined with George Formby were the reason we won the war. The pair of them would want to make anyone kill.

Hey! I flippin' love George Formby!! My dad used to play it on his uke when I was a kid and we'd have a good old sing song.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
17 May 2012 - 9:31 PM

Do you listen to him when you're using Windoze? Grin GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

Used to like MJQ, John Coltrane, Oscar Peterson, Humphrey Littleton, Chris Barber, Dutch Swing College Band and many others, as well as the big bands like Ted Heath etc.
Got them on vinyl somewhere, must have a root around and get the old turntable out.

Last Modified By macroman at 17 May 2012 - 9:37 PM
gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 92218 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Quote: Do you listen to him when you're using Windoze? Grin GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

Used to like MJQ, John Coltrane, Oscar Peterson, Humphrey Littleton, Chris Barber, Dutch Swing College Band and many others, as well as the big bands like Ted Heath etc.
Got them on vinyl somewhere, must have a root around and get the old turntable out.

Yes: I liked all those bands, I wasn't into Ted Heath's music.
I also have Coltrane CD's but find some of his music a bit too way-out for my taste - I like most of Miles Davis's stuff, though. By the way, I was absolutely obsessed with Chris Barber's music for a huge chunk of my life. I still enjoy his music a lot but have developed a healthier appreciation of a wider spectrum of jazz players since, I think...
I like Classical and Blues too. I actually play a lot of Blues on electric guitar on a regular basis - not gigging - just practising and recording stuff at home on the computer along with backing tracks.
To get back to the original topic, one of my most hated numbers has to be "YMCA". Another truly awful one would be "My Dinga Ling" by Chuck Berry - I like much of Chuck Berry's music but what was he thinking when he produced and sang that tawdry and juvenile little number.
Oh, and how about the ghastly saccharine numbers like "Eidelweiss" and other dross from "The Sound of Music"?SadWink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Who remembers all those jazz festivals from the Sixties/Seventies ?

Like this one

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/july-6-1969

Or the early Reading festivals

We owe a lot to Jazz Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 17 May 2012 - 10:12 PM
Ewanneil
Ewanneil  31118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

Quote: We owe a lot to Jazz Smile

We certainly do and it continues to be the case.

Two huge bands from the 1970's, Yes (in 2003) and Deep Purple (in 2006 & 2011) have played the Montreux Jazz Festival. Their music contains much that owes it roots to Jazz. Many a happy hour can be spent watching the concerts on YouTube (but probably only if you are a sad git like me who has too much time on his hands).

Paul Morgan
17 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Quote: Many a happy hour can be spent watching the concerts on YouTube (but probably only if you are a sad git like me who has too much time on his hands).

here`s something then

Folk like Bod Dylan I could not stand, yet the music is going through a period of a revival of sorts, I followed this lot before they made it, just knowing they had something special Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a8Ln31ZOJk&feature=related

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  31118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
18 May 2012 - 6:26 AM

Thanks for that, I enjoyed it. I've got the album "Sigh No More" so it was good to see them live. Smile

Ewan

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
18 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Quote: Quote: If we hadn't had Jazz we wouldn't have the large percentage of current music.

Maybe.

Personally, I can't think of a single piece of 'current music' that I'd miss.

I can honestly say that I couldn't tell you the name of a single track or so-called artist in today's charts

Well when i say current, I mean anything since the 50's. The Blues and Jazz are the basis for modern music.

Jestertheclown
18 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Quote: Well when i say current, I mean anything since the 50's. The Blues and Jazz are the basis for modern music.

Again, I'd have to say 'maybe.'

That's a pretty sweeping generalisation which implies, to some extent, that no-one's had an original idea, musically, in the last sixty-odd years.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014555 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
18 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

never liked "metal" when I was at school, most of my mates were into WASP and other wierd guitar based "angriness" which I never got.

Listen to it now... and it's still sounds awful to my ear....

I'm sure people would be better off buying a punch bag to take their anger out on Wink

Metalhead
Metalhead  61863 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
18 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Nowt wrong with a bit of "weird guitar based angriness", Ade... And don't go knocking WASP or I'll set my wife on to you! Wink She's hopping about like Zebedee in anticipation of their 30 Years Of Thunder tour later in the year... Yep, still touring after 30 years... A bit less blood, guts and angriness these days though...

I'm not sure where I'd start for music I didn't like a decade or two ago and still don't like today. There's so much to choose from... Though my Rock/Metal tastes have changed the core of my music taste is still there.

gcarth
18 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Quote:
That's a pretty sweeping generalisation which implies, to some extent, that no-one's had an original idea, musically, in the last sixty-odd years.

Yes - a sweeping statement but essentially true in my opinion. Obviously these matters are largely subjective but I think even if you try to be objective about this argument, it has to be said that Pop music does have limitations as to how far it can be developed because it is based on simple and repetitive structures.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.