Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

My camera doesn't focus!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    lucyyl
    lucyyl 
    12 Jan 2014 - 4:57 AM

Hey, so I bought a Nikon 5000 some time ago and I'm starting to use it again because last time I laid my hands on it, the photos were terrible and I had no idea what I was doing.
    So far I've read part of the manual (which I should do) but with my camera, whenever I zoom into something (using lens) it goes blurry. If I try to focus on something, it doesn't focus at all. If I try to focus on writing in a book it turns out really blurry. If I hold my camera, the background is clear but the objects closest to my camera are blurry and like I said before, if I try to zoom or to focus it goes blurry everytime!
    Please help me!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jan 2014 - 4:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BobbyK
    BobbyK e2 Member 4BobbyK vcard United Kingdom
    12 Jan 2014 - 6:48 AM

Hi, check the switch on the side of the lens to make sure auto focus M/A is selected not M for manual. Also the multi selector on the back of your camera can be used to select which auto focus point you are using. It sounds like you may have one of the outside points selected so the camera is focusing on the background and not your subject. Try setting the centre point and see if that cures the problem. I hope this helps, good luck.

MikeA
    MikeA  91176 forum posts England
    12 Jan 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi, I would ensure the lens is on manual, zoom in on a subject and set the focus with the lens focus ring. Just a matter of preference, also if there is an object, between the lens and the subject you want to focus eg. a blade of grass, tree branch the Auto focus may be trying to focus on that rather than the intended subject.
    Neither method is right or wrong.

scottishphototours

Lots of good videos on Youtube on the D5000..... here

Andyphotography

What lens are you using?
    If it doesnt have a built in AF motor then it wont focus and you can only use manual focus

If it has a built in motor check the AF mode and which sensor its using

Last Modified By Andyphotography at 12 Jan 2014 - 2:02 PM
    lucyyl
    lucyyl 
    13 Jan 2014 - 6:53 AM

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm
    Thanks to those who comment!

Jestertheclown
    13 Jan 2014 - 10:21 AM

Quote: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm

On the side of your lens there are two sliding switches.
    One's an on/off switch marked VR or "vibration reduction." There are times when you might need to switch this to "off" but that's a whole new thread, so, for the time being, leave it switched on.
    The other switch is marked "A" and "M." This one refers to the lens's ability to focus and this is the one that you need to pay attention to.
    "A," rather unsurprisingly, stands for "auto," as in "autofocus," meaning that the lens should focus for you, without your input when you point it at a subject and press the shutter release button half-way. (You are pressing it half-way, aren't you? It hasn't been mentioned.)
    "M," stands for "manual," meaning that you'll need to bring the subject into focus yourself, using the rotating ring at the end of the lens.

crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6704 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jan 2014 - 11:34 AM

All lens have a minimum distance at which they will focus so you may be geting too close to the subject.

timbo
    timbo  12591 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Jan 2014 - 11:35 AM

You say you're trying to focus on the writing in a book, maybe it's just too close for the lens to focus. try focussing on things a little further away.

timbo
    timbo  12591 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Jan 2014 - 11:35 AM

beat me to it!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.